Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitten hives

lmart9724

Lairian
Hi all. I have a 20 (ish) week old who is experiencing hives. She would periodically get them, one or two.. then they would go away. Now she's had her 2nd major outbreak of hives. 1st big one we thought was from her starting viralis so we immediately stopped that. She just was started on doxycycline for Chlamydia (spelling) but she has been on that for 3 days. We think maybe it is from the sun? We are so unsure. Today's hives were HUGE. They spread fast. Benadryl helps but we want to get to the bottom of this. Please let me know your experience. Also today it started only on one side of her body....

Thank you all

Attachments

• IMG_20200420_161547.jpg
    IMG_20200420_161547.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20200420_151315.jpg
    IMG_20200420_151315.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20200416_151106.jpg
    IMG_20200416_151106.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 61

Sheldon13

Staff member
That dies look like an allergic reaction to me, which is likely why the Benadryl works. What have you tried to eliminate as a possible cause so far?

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

lmart9724

Lairian
Thank u for replying. Since this is fresh we are trying to dig deep into what could be causing it. We haven't changed anything no new soap ect. No new food. The only thing is she has the cold (Chlamydia) and before the respiratory test panel came back she had one dose of the lysine. Then a few hours later she had the major outbreak. She was given a shot of diphenhydramine and Prednisone and was better. That was last Thursday. Then this weekend, Sat I believe is when she started her new antibiotic doxycycline. She has had about 5 doses and this afternoon she had hives again. So now the questions are .. was the first outbreak from the lysine or was it just a fluke. Also it was sunny Thur (the day the first big outbreak happened) and it was sunny today. So I'm wondering if she's having a reaction to the heat. She has also had what I now believe we're hives a few times in the past randomly. I first thought the bumps were from her and her sisters playing but now that I've seen actual hives on her I am sure they we're hives.

Sorry for the long reply

Sheldon13

Staff member
I’m also wondering if she’s having a reaction to being sick. Like maybe her immune system is out of wack from the combination of the illness and several drugs.

As an aside, my kitty breaks out in a rash sometimes after a bath. It dissipates quickly though. I’m mentioning it because I think it’s the hot water causing it.

sphynxmommy1

Lairian
Wow. It’s definitely an allergic reaction. It can be many things so the key is really narrowing it down. It could have been the lysine, it could be the medications. Has there been anything at all you might have changed? Laundry detergent? Your perfume? Air freshener? Are you using excessive cleaning products because of coronavirus? Clorox, Lysol, febreeze, windex? All of these cleaners can cause an issue like this. Or have you changed litter? There’s so many things that can cause an allergic reaction but to me, this looks like a medication reaction. I’d call the vet and let them know ASAP and see what they think. Please keep us posted. Good luck

lmart9724

Lairian
Nothing new at all. It's literally mind boggling. I do see that she is getting little zit like things. So I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and ask to get her a test for Urticaria pigmentosa. I feel so bad for her and want to get to the bottom of this

lmart9724

Lairian
I’m also wondering if she’s having a reaction to being sick. Like maybe her immune system is out of wack from the combination of the illness and several drugs.

As an aside, my kitty breaks out in a rash sometimes after a bath. It dissipates quickly though. I’m mentioning it because I think it’s the hot water causing it.

I didn't think of that. I thought it might be the heat/ sun cuz it was only on one side.

Back