Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitten immunity

Cinderstar95

Lairian
Hello all!
At what age would everyone consider a kittens immune system fully developed? My Rora is about 6 months old and now that it is starting to warm up by me, I am wanting to take her outside a bit. she is very curious and routinely makes a break for the door every time I open it, and is quite comfortable in her carrier and in the car. (I have to travel quite a bit for school, and she comes with me,) I am thinking about getting one of those pet strollers so she'd never touch the ground or come across another animal that could hurt her, but of course, she still is young, so I worry!
What is a general opinion on this? I have a three year old boy cat as well who is Herpes pos. should I risk taking him out in the stroller if I get one?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello all!
At what age would everyone consider a kittens immune system fully developed? My Rora is about 6 months old and now that it is starting to warm up by me, I am wanting to take her outside a bit. she is very curious and routinely makes a break for the door every time I open it, and is quite comfortable in her carrier and in the car. (I have to travel quite a bit for school, and she comes with me,) I am thinking about getting one of those pet strollers so she'd never touch the ground or come across another animal that could hurt her, but of course, she still is young, so I worry!
What is a general opinion on this? I have a three year old boy cat as well who is Herpes pos. should I risk taking him out in the stroller if I get one?
I would say 6 months to a year to be safe, thats personally my opinion, and of course they have no known illnesses- be sure your vaccinations are up to date as well. :)

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I think a stroller is best or carrier
Blankets also. I don't take Izmae out, but, when, I take her
to the Vet, I don't let her down and I make sure the exam
table has been sterilized, before, she get's on it.
Which my Vets office is so clean and no smell at all, it's like
No animals are ever there. But, I still make sure.
I wouldn't let her down in Petsmart or any place where other
pets have been. I'm too afraid of her catching something.
A stroller you can control the contact.

Cinderstar95

Lairian
I think a stroller is best or carrier
Blankets also. I don't take Izmae out, but, when, I take her
to the Vet, I don't let her down and I make sure the exam
table has been sterilized, before, she get's on it.
Which my Vets office is so clean and no smell at all, it's like
No animals are ever there. But, I still make sure.
I wouldn't let her down in Petsmart or any place where other
pets have been. I'm too afraid of her catching something.
A stroller you can control the contact.
I agree, I'm so paranoid about the chances! But she's been in contact with my other sphynx who has had some super scary health crisis and is herpes positive. She's up to date on vaccines and I have a sneaking suspicion she may have picked up herpes before I got her, she has nasal drainage occasionally and eye goobers but my vet isn't worried. She's a little psycho. Runs around and destroys everything I hold sacred in true cat fashion. My vet is very clean and only specializes in cats so I'm not super worried. And I do know in order to build an immune system you have to come in contact with things. Too clean leads to weak immune responses which leads to catching deadlier diseases. I'd never let her touch the ground but I do think she'd like the stroller and any chance to be outside. She absolutely loves sitting on my window sill when it's open.

Cinderstar95

Lairian
If you fear herpes is an issue or could be, have you looked into this supplement? Sphynx with Feline Herpes and L-Lysine

Patti
Thanks! I've tried lysine supplements before, but neither of them will eat the treat forms, even when I mix it in with their wet food. THey just pick the treat out and eat the rest of it DX. cats are weird. but I might just have to look into this as it looks like a powder. maybe just maybe. How expensive is it?

sphynxmoms

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We used a stroller whenever we took our babies out and are going to use it for the new baby we are waiting on now. They are screened in so they are safe...from MANY things, bugs,other animals, too many people...it folds up like a baby stroller so we just throw it in the back end of the car and go!