Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitten Kountdown!

Hey guys!

I posted a few months ago with questions about sphynx cats and my schedule and now I'm here to announce...that...I should have one in a week! :)

I've got a few things in my amazon cart at the moment:

- cat tree
- wheat litter (based off of reviews for smell and all around natural health)
- few toys
- window suction perch
- looking at litter boxes (have a top entrance one in my cart)
- looking at water/food bowls

Though I need advice on:
- lotions (?)
- wipes
- shampoo/wash
- food (!!!)

She'll be coming to me at a little over 12 weeks. These are some older pictures, she and her sister were born a little small - says mine is doing dandy now though!

unnamed.jpg
unnamed2.jpg
unnamed3.jpg

Hopefully I've posted in the correct area!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@rinadearest Ah! Precious, What a purrfect adorable update! Keep us posted on your gotcha day!
We want lots of pics and tales!

Retail therapy is great ! Be sure to kitty proof for life! Watch hot stoves , walking , owpwing c'somg doors , dryers etc

You Have a great list going!
**I would start off with what your breeder uses for litter , style of litter box and food lams s,poorly transition to your kitties individual needs and preferences
You will get great advice here to pick and choose from what works best for you

I prefer one extra litter box
I personally do not use wheat for possible allergies some have to it
Using Dr Elseys unscented or fresh for life odor destroyer
Some members start off with cat attract litter
A good sturdy litter scooper, We are all great at "poo patrol " here- I got a metal scooper and a catit jumbo litter box
A fav here and the old folds back for easy scooping

L-lysine powder to mix in wet food
Vetericyn spray many keep on hand for any skin irritations

**I do out apply any lotions (can be toxic )
**love Hylyt shampoo - hypoallergenic soap free easy to rinse- recommended by a member to me years ago

I gave up on baby wipes - instead I got baby face clothes , put in a pticher of warm water with a teenie few drops of Hylyt

*Love dog drying microfiber towels - way easier and light weight - I get at Marshalls for $6
Along with 50x60 soft these blankets
+Good pair of nail clippers
I clean nail gunk with alcohol free fragrance free makeup remover wipes li like trizultra with Keto to clean ears-
*I do not flush ears I use round cosmetic rounds - amd precision qTips - name brand I found after market too sharp
+Your breeder can offer great tips and product advice
Some breeders will give you a small bag of their current food, wet food and litter .

*Ask the breeder of they have microchipped the kitty

*Food - tried so many - best results with my 4 is Nutrisource cat and kitten (never recalled )
Solid poo no skin issues and can go longer bewteen full spay days

Dabird toy! Just be sure to lock away and only used supervised bcz they will chew the string!
Be sure to kitty proof toys too!

Your sweetie looks like she is going to be a sphynxful of love n fun!

So excited for you ! You will get many suggestions to pick and choose what works best for your baby
Keep us updated often :)

Last edited:

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So many decisions huh? :cat:

Well the main thing is the food. We have a ton of information on that in the Lair. So I'll put in my 2 cents about the litter. I really like the grass litters because it's lightweight and natural. The one I've used the most is Smartcat All Natural Clumping grass litter. Then the last time I purchased litter I saw a sale at Drs. Foster and Smith so I tried their grass litter; it is exactly like Smartcat just with a different name on the label. Next time I buy, I'm thinking about trying Chewy's version of grass cat litter which is a little cheaper than the others. So I hope that helps.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Thats great news! Congrats! What a cutie! :)

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
So cute! I agree don’t forget the L-Lysine. Do t forget to throw some exfoliating gloves in your cart , they work wonders when bathing.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yay!! As mentioned, so try to stick to the same litter and food that your breeder has been using to make the transition to your home easier. You can then gradually switch to your preferred brands once he is settled! This is my must have list:

• Hylyt shampoo is great. Use with exfoliating gloves for easy cleaning.
  • I use small stainless steel food (dry) and water bowls with a non-slip bottom. I got them cheap at the grocery. Also use a flat porcelain saucer for wet food. I learned the hard way that wet food in bowls makes a huge mess, lol.
  • Heavy duty litter scoop is a MUST! Amazon has a great one!
  • Nail Clippers
  • Vetrycin (sp?) Spray for cuts/scrapes... blue bottle on Amazon
  • Black Hole Litter Mat is the tits!
  • Doggie Poo Disposal bags are super handy when scooping litter!! Some have odor blockers too!
  • L-Lysine
  • Honest Co or Water Wipes baby wipes for quick wipe downs and cleaning the toe jam!
  • Precision q-tips... great for ear cleanings ADD toe jam removal
  • Kitten breakaway collar with a bell. Some are against it, but it’s a must for us bc Kenzo is a silent ninja.

Hey guys!

I posted a few months ago with questions about sphynx cats and my schedule and now I'm here to announce...that...I should have one in a week! :)

I've got a few things in my amazon cart at the moment:

- cat tree
- wheat litter (based off of reviews for smell and all around natural health)
- few toys
- window suction perch
- looking at litter boxes (have a top entrance one in my cart)
- looking at water/food bowls

Though I need advice on:
- lotions (?)
- wipes
- shampoo/wash
- food (!!!)

She'll be coming to me at a little over 12 weeks. These are some older pictures, she and her sister were born a little small - says mine is doing dandy now though!

View attachment 87142
View attachment 87143
View attachment 87144

Hopefully I've posted in the correct area!
HI,
I just became a sphynx dad about a month ago so here is what i was recommended by my breeder and confirm by my google research:

For shampoo: Aveno Baby Shampoo
food: try raw food but Royal Canin, Instinct, Orijen are up on top for commercial food.
wipes: Hygea Natural Cat Bath Wipes with Catnip, Cat Wipes for Bathing (on Amazon)
lotion: my breeder said not to use lotion

hope this helps

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Carlos Franco , thank you for sharing the cat wipes info! Never saw those
Perfect for members to see and have options to try .
I also started with Aveeno - works great
I now use Hylyt shampoo soap free hypo allergenic

@rinadearest , hi :) any updates ?

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Carlos Franco Congrats on the new kitten! Fantastic that you are doing your research and speaking to your breeder... I would consider The Lair the unofficial sphynx handbook for care, products, health. This breed is relatively new and has many quirks that other cat breeds do not have. Sphynxlair is really the only resource out there with reliable information. I myself, as well as many others, have turned to the Lair for answers to questions our veterinarians were clueless about!

As a rule of thumb, the first ingredients on any pet food label should always be a quality protein (ie. not by-products). Also, no corn, no wheat and no soy. This is especially important for cats, as they are obligate carnivores. Raw is best, but there are some good processed foods out there. Read the label and pay close attention to the ingredients.

I am so sorry everyone. I was busy at work over the weekend, and I’ve forgotten my password a few times already :ROFLMAO:

I picked her up Monday night! I haven’t settled on a name yet...it’s so hard! I took her to the vet today, she did well and has been doing well.

Kept her in the kitchen for the first day and some, then I took her out to sleep with me on the couch and ever since she’s been just fine. Adapted easily. She’s been eating and pooping normally.

However, I was worried about her breathing as she sounds congested and coughs to clear it up often. I brought it up to the vet, though it’s noticeable anyways. They think she has an upper respiratory infection AND discovered a lot of funk in her ears so she has an ear infection too.

I’ve got a couple meds for her and hopefully all will be well soon! She really acts normally though, so that’s encouraging. She’s a cuddler, she loves to play.

I know it’s something that should be looked over for reputable breeders, but the breeder seemed to really care about her and there aren’t many breeders or adoptables in my area. I’m just glad to have her and glad to know she’ll get better.

She’s a tiny 2.26 pounds and she was a huge hit at the vet. As I said, we don’t have them around here hehe.

She has white patch of fur on her nose and both of her ears are fuzzy too.

The breeder has her on Diamond Kitten, so I’m open to switching food and adding wet food (?). I bought the L-Lysine, the Hylyt shampoo. Still need to get some wipes! Definitely some ear cleaner too. She wasn’t too fond of it at the vet.

I went with feline pine, as I couldn’t quite find the right pellets at my farm store, so far she’s just fine with it. I wouldn’t say her congestion came from that - as her breathing was a little odd when we picked her up but will continue to monitor that. We didn’t think much of it because the breeder said she was gagging a little after just getting a bath.

That’s the update so far! She’s had a long day and is curled in my lap. I’ve left her alone in the kitchen for 30 minutes or so so far while I went to get food. Tomorrow morning is her first big day alone as I’m going back to work!

7EEF98B1-D116-415B-9B58-FE2BF75C029D.jpeg F84FA6B9-0D6A-4A7D-8FBA-8BE912AD47FA.jpeg 936D3625-D5CF-4B81-B4F3-0A31C0C36C57.jpeg A39D0F95-AE9E-4D9D-ACD6-7B365F326DA3.jpeg

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
URIs are common for sphynx kittens transitioning to a new home. It’s a mix of stress and new environment. The daily dose of L-Lysine should be just the thing to get her all cleared up!

Sphynx ear gunk is always brown, and for that reason, sometimes gets mistaken for an ear infection. A similar scenario happened with my vet. However, having experience with a dog with frequent ear infections (yeast) I knew it probably wasn’t that. I did not use the drops, instead just cleaned his ears with an ear cleanser. Weekly cleanings will greatly reduce the amount of gunk, but it will always be brown with a Sphynx.

Congrats on your baby. She’s adorable!

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Look at that cutie! Congratulations. She's gorgeous.

Lots of kittens get an uri when moving to their forever homes. And as @Monica said all the ear gunk can be just ear gunk. Specially when your vet didn't see a lot of sphynx the mistake is easily made. Sphynx produce a lot of eargunk!

URIs are common for sphynx kittens transitioning to a new home. It’s a mix of stress and new environment. The daily dose of L-Lysine should be just the thing to get her all cleared up!

Sphynx ear gunk is always brown, and for that reason, sometimes gets mistaken for an ear infection. A similar scenario happened with my vet. However, having experience with a dog with frequent ear infections (yeast) I knew it probably wasn’t that. I did not use the drops, instead just cleaned his ears with an ear cleanser. Weekly cleanings will greatly reduce the amount of gunk, but it will always be brown with a Sphynx.

Congrats on your baby. She’s adorable!
Indeed! I’ve read such things about URI’s, it’s just she seemed to have it before I got her, but it’s not terrible. She’s got some antibiotics at the moment for that.

As for the ears, she had a lot of it in her ears - they tested it as well and it contained yeast. I’m guessing the yeast isn’t the most common thing.

If anything it’s a learning experience, as sphynx are different from other cats in some ways. I didn’t feel as though the breeder didn’t care about her. The page I contacted through seemed to be a little disappointed in my update on her though, so I’m guessing it doesn’t happen to often for them.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Aw poor thing. In that case, definitely use the drops, but keep in mind it won’t completely “clear up” like it would with a dog or other cat. The infection will go away, but the ear gunk will remain brown and need to be cleaned weekly, even when healthy!

Good thing she has you to take care of her now!

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awh head smooches and positive vibes !she is gorgeous :)
Keep us updated often
It's not uncommon for newly homed kitties to get stress related uri 's.
ears get dirtier quicker on sphynx simce they have no hair in their ears -
A wipe out 1-2 times a week is standard
Many of us supplement with the lysine you mentioned .
Some antibiotics work better than others with sphnx so keep an eye out and keep your vet updated
Does she have a follow up appointment ?
Name ideas ? :)

Last edited: