Kitten or retired breeder? | Sphynxlair

Kitten or retired breeder?

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by Sianne_and_Alice, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Sianne_and_Alice

Sianne_and_AliceBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6.00
    Ratings:
    +267
    So Alice is over a year old now and I think it might be a good time to bring another naked kitty into the family. She has a cat around her age to play with, but the cat has hair and I think Alice would like a hairless friend (and I'd love another one too).

But my dilemma is, do I get a kitten or a retired breeder?

I was leaning toward a retired breeder because they are not only cheaper (money isn't everything) but already socialized, and I could give them a good home to relax in. But if the cat is older, it might find Alice too playful and not want to be around her, and that wouldn't help anything. I even found a retired cat a few hours away.

But a kitten would be more playful with Alice and she could bond with it while it was little and they could be buddies, it would also be less likely to already have a bad disposition. My problem is kittens are a lot to handle and I'd hate to adopt a kitten and then start school in a few months and have the poor baby feel neglected. An older cat would be okay if it didn't see me all day.

So what do you guys think? Opinions? Thoughts?

2. ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $43.00
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    With a kitten and having Alice as a playmate I think the kitten would be okay while you were at school as well. Just my opinion,,,Im torn on what I'd do if I were you. I think I would go for the kitten because I know me and I want a kitten Sphynx to grow old with. lol

3. susi794

susi794Moderator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $46,059.92
    Ratings:
    +12,595
    • Scary sphynx
    • Puppy
    • Red Sphynx
    • Pink Sphynx
    • Orange Sphynx
    It is easier to bring in a kitten when you have other cats already because there isn't such a struggle for dominance--the kitten comes in knowing it's place in the pack. But older kitties can be wonderful too, it just takes them a little longer to fit in. So, it goes to what you can afford, the temperment of the cats involved, etc.
    Giving someone a home that doesn't have one is very appealing to me, but trying to assimilate a new adult into an established house with cats can be tough. Just look around and the kitty that steals your heart should be the one you choose.
    Good luck with your search,
    Susi and the gang

4. Melonie

MelonieSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $296.00
    Ratings:
    +195
    My first sphynx was actually a retired breeder that I drove 5 hours to get. She was supposed to be "great with kids" HA! She was evil, like the cat on friends and I ended up GIVING HER AWAY! She does ok with my friend but he is single no kids and he tells me all the time what a witch she is. I spent about 500 on her and it sucked because I couldn't get anyone to pay an "adoption fee" because I wasn't going to lie about her temperment. So it was just a waste so I would never get an older cat without a "trial period" to see if it would actually work in my house because money is money and it sucks to waste it.

That being said my kitten I got has major health problems and has cost me tons of money. I just get leary of older cats who are already set in their ways.

I actually got them both at the same time within days of each other. She hated Jack too. She hated everything. I had her for about 3-4 months and she never settled in. The breeder NEVER called, or emailed to see how she was so I knew they knew she was really not so nice.

5. Mews2much

Mews2muchV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $137.00
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    Before I got Cleo I though of a retired breeder also but went with a kitten.
    I agree a kitten would work out better.
    A older cat my fight with your.
    Wrinkles was terrible to Polar when I got him but it has worked out.
    Just be careful who you get the cat from.
    There are many very bad breeders in Utah.
    You are right about sphynx preferring other sphynx.
    Mine sleep with each other all the time.
    It is funny when they play and you hear them slap each other.
    T

6. Sianne_and_Alice

Sianne_and_AliceBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6.00
    Ratings:
    +267
    Hmm, maybe a kitten is a better choice. I don't know, I asked Alice and she seems to not care, is it werid I asked her? Lol

7. susi794

susi794Moderator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $46,059.92
    Ratings:
    +12,595
    • Scary sphynx
    • Puppy
    • Red Sphynx
    • Pink Sphynx
    • Orange Sphynx
    Is it weird? Maybe. Do we all do the exact same thing? Probably. :LOL::LOL::Wink:

8. MissMySphynxBoys

MissMySphynxBoysGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $411.00
    Ratings:
    +2,259
    I am going through this dilema too. I really would like to do pet therapy with a Sphynx, but personality is key. Not all Sphynx like to be the center of attention, and like Melonie can attest some have very non compatible personalities for that line of work. On one hand a retired show or breeder has a known personality but may have trouble fitting in with other pets. A kitten might fit into a household better but their personalities are not well determined.

We got Gollum and Tanker as kittens a year apart. Zulie came to us as a 2 year old retired breeder with Tanker. Out of the 3 Zulie turned out to be the biggest love bug.

My gut tells me Alice would do better with a kitten, but my gut has been known to be wrong!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  9. Sianne_and_Alice

Sianne_and_AliceBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6.00
    Ratings:
    +267
    A kitten is what I'm beginning to think too.

I just love the idea of rescuing someone and giving them a good life....

10. MissMySphynxBoys

MissMySphynxBoysGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $411.00
    Ratings:
    +2,259
    I completely understand the desire to give a home to an older pet. You may also find Alice would do ok with a young adult as well. A lot of it rides on what will be thte best fit for Alice's personality. If she is very active she may enjoy the engery of a kitten. If she is is developing into a mellow lady she may like an older buddy with similar interests.

11. Melonie

MelonieSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $296.00
    Ratings:
    +195
    An older cat would be tormented to no end in my house, Jack loves to attack the other cats. That being said Ben is a kitten (6months) and he is VERY mellow. I even took him to the vet because he was so mellow I was worried something was wrong with him. He never plays he is always sitting right on me 24/7.

12. Bella07

Bella07Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $279.00
    Ratings:
    +1,642
    It really depends on what is in your heart.......if you meet a retired breeder, and she seems to be the purrrfect one for you and Alice, then so be it! But, if a kitten comes your way, and you all fall in love, then a kitten it is. Personally though, I would go with a kitten! For all of the reasons you mentioned, including bonding and energy. Best of Luck in your search! Whatever Sphynx you bring into your home, I am sure that it will be a match made in heaven. :ThumbsUp:

13. Sleepyheadkitten

SleepyheadkittenSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $26.00
    Ratings:
    +643
    We just adopted out our other girl in our cattery to a household we already know...

They have one Sphynx- her daughter- who is 2 years old. Their girl is a bit of a snot- they've had her since 12 weeks, so that's just who she is. BUT her Momma, while a lover, can BE a snot- so we worked out a two week trial period for adoption. They are slowly integrating my girl into their household, starting with her in isolation, and then they will see if the girls can live together the second week.

That being said- I cannot imagine just selling my retirees for money and not caring about the placement they go into... If you find a good breeder- they should be willing to work WITH you versus 'Here's your money- thanks for the cat.'

This is JUST MY OPINION HERE- but I feel that when I am adopting my retirees out, that the only money that should exchange hands is the cost of the spay/neuter. I know I'm an odd one, but I look at one site and it has a 7 year old Queen for $1500! I think that's insane!

14. Sianne_and_Alice

Sianne_and_AliceBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6.00
    Ratings:
    +267
    I agree, if I had it my way I'd do a trial to see how Alice gets along with the adult cat in question, but the cat is 4 hours away and the breeder doesn't seem as concerned as I am about everyone getting along.

15. Sianne_and_Alice

Sianne_and_AliceBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6.00
    Ratings:
    +267
    The problem is I'm not likely to meet any kittens or breeders unless I've already put down a deposit. I live in Utah and the only breeder I've ever actually met is Alice's. None of the other breeders are in my area and I doubt any of them would just let me come over and see their cats (I don't blame them, I'm a stranger and they have to worry about the health of their cats). I'd talk to Alice's breeder because she was nice, but she just got married and even though I know she has some kittens I don't know when it wouldn't be werid to email her. I think she thinks I'm a pest because I'm always asking her stuff about Alice even now that Alice is an adult.

16. Mews2much

Mews2muchV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $137.00
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    I never met the breeders of any of my cats and everything worked out fine.
    They all were shipped and were everything the breeders said they would be.
    It is up to you if you want the older cat.