Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitten sleeps a lot..is it normal?

Jlocirelli

Lairian
I haven’t had a kitten since my Rashja who is now 15 so it’s been awhile. I have to ask, is it normal for them to sleep all the time? Touille is 11 weeks and sleeps constantly. He will wake up for 10-15 mins and play a little (he’s scared of most of the toys)or meow until he is picked up and held and then falls asleep with someone holding him for hours again. He literally sleeps most of the day and night so I’m hoping that is normal. I remember kittens being rambunctious but he seems to be a timid kitty who would rather sleep or just be held.

Jeanhill72

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sometimes they sleep more for the first couple of days because they are adjusting to their new environment. How many times a day is he playing?

Jlocirelli

Lairian
Sometimes they sleep more for the first couple of days because they are adjusting to their new environment. How many times a day is he playing?
He is afraid of all cat toys so we put our hands under covers and wiggle it and he pounces on it. That’s the only way we can get him to play right now. He prob plays 4 times a day for 10-15 mins each time and then is up a few more times to eat or drink or use the litter box. The rest of the time he is meowing to be held and goes to sleep.

Lynn W

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
That is pretty much normal for baby kitties. Give him time to grow up a bit and he'll be up and into everything..LOL

Jeanhill72

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
He is afraid of all cat toys so we put our hands under covers and wiggle it and he pounces on it. That’s the only way we can get him to play right now. He prob plays 4 times a day for 10-15 mins each time and then is up a few more times to eat or drink or use the litter box. The rest of the time he is meowing to be held and goes to sleep.
As long as he is eating and drinking, I would give it a few days. He might just be a little nervous. If it lasts longer then that, or he slows down his eating/drinking I would get him to a vet for a checkup.

Jlocirelli

Lairian
As long as he is eating and drinking, I would give it a few days. He might just be a little nervous. If it lasts longer then that, or he slows down his eating/drinking I would get him to a vet for a checkup.
I plan on taking him to the vet for a checkup anyway this weekend. I just wasn’t sure if kittens slept so much. He’s so lazy lol

sphynxmommy1

Lairian
Hi there congrats on your baby! I just got a new baby too, 2 weeks ago today. He is currently 14 weeks old. It had been a while since I had a sphynx baby as well. All kittens have their own way of doing things. My new kitten Edward sleeps about 18-20 hours a day. But when he’s up, he’s up! He is very curious and wild for those hours he’s up and he’ll go nonstop about 30-60 minutes and then he crashes hard and will sleep hours. It is normal. And some kittens sleep less than that or more than that. As they get a bit older and more familiar with their new home they will sleep less and be into everything. Hope that helps. I agree with the others here, as long as he’s eating and drinking and using the potty normally, he’s ok, have your vet check him out and let the vet know if you have any concerns about his sleeping habits.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Congrats with your new baby. I agree with the others that kitten sleep a lot. I still remember the first days with my boys. I was ready for action and all they did was sleeping. So boring!
But they made up for it after a month or so...!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Thank you all for your advice and knowledge. Ratatouille has definitely warmed up. He sleeps less, plays hard and eats like nobody’s business . He’s doing amazing!
Happy to hear Ratatouille warmed up. Nothing more fun then watching a kitten play and then drop in a kittensleep:)