Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitten stopped eating. Help??

souplouie

Lairian
So, in a nutshell, my 5 month old Soup Louie has thrown up twice this week, not directly after eating. Its just normal looking cat puke. He is completely fine other wise. Still running around, drinking water, playing like a maniac. Maybe going to the bathroom a little less, but that's it. He's been slowing down on eating a little, but only from having an insatiable appetite to eating normal kitten portions. Now today he won't touch his food at all. Still completely normal otherwise. He eats frozen raw, so maybe we didn't toss what was left in enough time and he ate some?? He'll still get excited when I touch his dish, then he'll just look at the food and walk away. Should I be worried???

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That happens with some kitties. Not wanting to eat is a sign they don't feel well.

What I do is buy a whole chicken and simmer it for several hours until all the meat falls off the bones. Then I carefully separate the meat from the bones. The cats get to eat the meat with some of the broth. This is very bland food.

I give them this for a couple of days and freeze the rest for another time.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Glad to read he ate again. Hope he just had an off day and turns out to be fine!

souplouie

Lairian
Will be looking for updates...trust your gut ...if something feels off, get to the vet. Hoping it was just a one off episode.
That's where I was so confused! My gut said he was fine cause he was acting like himself, just not eating, but that in itself was so strange!

souplouie

Lairian
UPDATE!!
My new concern this morning was that he may not have pooped all day yesterday. My boyfriend changed out the whole litter box and didn't pay much attention to the contents early yesterday morning. But then, right as I was about to come back on here asking about his potential constipation.. he went! Then we got his breakfast ready and he devoured it like normal.

Big huge thanks to everyone for your responses!! So nice to know I have a whole community of wonderful, friendly people with tons of expireience! I've been so lucky cayse he's been such an easy baby so far that anything out of the ordinary gets me thinking.

souplouie

Lairian
That happens with some kitties. Not wanting to eat is a sign they don't feel well.

What I do is buy a whole chicken and simmer it for several hours until all the meat falls off the bones. Then I carefully separate the meat from the bones. The cats get to eat the meat with some of the broth. This is very bland food.

I give them this for a couple of days and freeze the rest for another time.
I looooove this idea. I'm defintely going to have to remember that. He would really enjoy that. Sounds nice and easy for his tummy too!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So glad everything worked out. It's possible that he had a bit of a blockage and eventually it worked itself out. That is a relief.