Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitten suckling and kneading.

Catstuff

Lairian
So last night we got ready for bed and Baldwin started kneading my belly and purring, then he started suckling on my skin hahaha for me it's really uncomfortable. I did read a bit about it. And it can happen if the kitten was taken too early from mommy. I picked him up at 11weeks and my breeder has been doing this for 19years.Any ideas on how I can comfort him with out being tickled?

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
LOL. Good luck!

Actually, Sphynx are VERY orally fixated. Most suck on themselves, their humans, or blankets and toys. I think many are wired this way. I have a tail sucker and a blanket/plushie sucker (she also sucks my neck).

You can try dissuading Baldwin by placing the back of your hand facing him between him and your skin. That way he suckles or licks your hand. You could also move him to another part of your skin that isn't as sensitive LOL. I've trained Min to nuzzle instead of licking or suckling my neck. She still falls back to sucking when she gets excited, but I slip the hand between us and she gets it.

Good luck! You are very loved, however. :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
You're doomed:). Whatever you do and whatever you offer Baldwin will love suckling on your skin the most! My boy Toa loved suckling on the skin of his brother Ross and mine skin for the first 6 months or so. Don't think it has always something to do with leaving mommy to early cause I know a lot of cats how do this. Jade still kneads and she stayed with her mommy till she was 2 years old. It's a way to get comfy. Hope you get used to the tickling:). Or maybe somebody on the lair knows a trick!

Natasja

Catstuff

Lairian
LOL. Good luck!

Actually, Sphynx are VERY orally fixated. Most suck on themselves, their humans, or blankets and toys. I think many are wired this way. I have a tail sucker and a blanket/plushie sucker (she also sucks my neck).

You can try dissuading Baldwin by placing the back of your hand facing him between him and your skin. That way he suckles or licks your hand. You could also move him to another part of your skin that isn't as sensitive LOL. I've trained Min to nuzzle instead of licking or suckling my neck. She still falls back to sucking when she gets excited, but I slip the hand between us and she gets it.

Good luck! You are very loved, however. :)
Haha thanks for your help:)

MaoSphynx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Seems like putting your hand between the cat and yourself Irma best