Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitten to cat food transition

GMPLAX23

Lairian
Hi guys!

Tut turned 1 recently so I have gotten him new dry food. I want to keep him at a healthy weight. I feed him 3oz wet food by Natures Balance (pouches) in the morning and leave 1/4 cup dry Blue Basics simple ingredient indoor cat food (duck and potato/open fed) and then another 3oz pouch. all together that is 75kcal + 95kcal + 75kcal = 245kcal

my problem is he is coming off of kitten food which i know is more calorie rich.
Natures balance kitten wet food - 118kcal
royal canin kitten - 184kcal / half cup (open fed)
natures balance pouch- 75kcal = 377kcal
*he never ate all his dry food daily*

Tut is acting so hungry! Its pulling at my heart strings. haha
Any I doing this right Lair Family? any suggestions or comment?

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If you're free feeding he should be fine. You could always at 1/4 of a cup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Most people free feed kibbles and give wet food once or twice a day. The free kibbles are cause sphynx need to eat more to keep up their temperature. If you see Tut is getting too chunky you could give him kibbles several times a day.
My Toa is too chunky so I'm afraid I'm not the best person to tell how much that should be! Hope others chime in.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@GMPLAX23 It is always a balancing act when transitioning a food and especially going from kitten to adult food. We are a multi cat home, so we chose grain free all stage wet food to,try to make it easier. Our boy is 10 months old and when he hits 1 year we will scale back a bit and like the others I am sure he will beg lol. Since we know kittens need more food, we have been free feeding more and both girls (adults) of course put on a bit of weight which we expected. So when we cut back, we will have 3 of them screaming at us like we are starving them, until a new routine is established. Here is a great chart to help you determine an ideal weight. https://sphynxlair.com/community/styles//images/Cat weight chart.png

One thing I do find is they sleep most of the day, so free feeding more when you are home helps not only nourish them, but keeps them quiet. We started cutting back a scoop of dry in the morning and are adding to a bit more at night to tame the wild beasts. You will find the right formula. It is all about measuring and shifting and be consistent.

Patti

I also recommend asking your vet for a weight in pounds that they suggest so it gives you a goal. Our one girl,is very petite, our other is as big as a male and our kitten is solid with a potbelly that will slim down in due time. As much as it hurts your heart, keeping them at a healthy weight decreases the chances of many healthy issues.

Back