Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

KITTEN WITH RINGWORM

Hi everyone

So I got my new Sphynx baby at the beginning of the month and unfortunately, he has ringworm.

Does anyone have any experience with ringworm in Sphynx? Which treatment protocol did you use and how long did it take to get rid of? Does anyone have any experience with using Lime Sulphur on them? — if so was it well tolerated

His skin looks terrible. Flaky and bumpy. Glowed under the woods lamp (black light), we did a culture but it takes up to a week to grow. My other cat has it and so do my kids and I . So obviously we need to start treatment before the result comes back.

I have him isolated and he is so sad. I feel terrible! I miss having him run around my house

Ive attached pics in case anyone was curious

Attachments

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
We rescued a girl years and years ago who had ringworm. Unfortunately the vet did not recognize the freckles as ringworm as it can appear differently on hairless animals and not always be distinct rings. Well, I got it and our 2 other cats got it so we had a tough time getting rid of it because one was a hairy cat and the spores can survive months on a piece of hair.

As much as you want to let your baby have run of the house, it is best to keep separated until you are in the clear. I washed bedding every day that they slept on. I bought a steamer and bathed in shampoo vet prescribed. It is contagious to humans, so be sure to wash hands thoroughly after leaving the room. You might also think about covering your clothes with a robe/socks so you can take off and limit contaminating other areas of the house. You got it early on, so you should be able to get this under control fast.

Don’t put a cat tree in that room so no spores can be left on it. If you already did, use a steamer on it just to be safe.

You got this ! I know it can be exhausting the cleaning and the worrying.

@Catzzzmeow - did you also treat orally? How long did you quarantine. My whole family has it except for the dog (knock on wood). Although I’ll be picking up preventative oral meds for her on Monday because I really do not want one more animal having this.

Do u happen to have any pictures of your Sphynx with ringworm? Every image I find online looks different from my kitten. His overall look is just patchy and dry but not really any clear rings or anything. I’m just wondering if he truly has it. He did glow on the woods lamp but the culture to confirm won’t be back for a week.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
We were not given oral meds back then...that was a good 15 + years ago if I recall. Here is an older thread and inside it is a pic of our girl. Ringworm Scars??? Advice needed

We did not quarantine...I got ringworm a single ring on my shoulder-blade 2 weeks after we brought her home. By then she had ready been sleeping with us and the other 2 cats so there was no use in separating as we all got it at the same time...except hubby. As soon as I saw my ring I looked on the other naked Nd he had 2 red dots. The furry cat we just assumed and yep had a spot where hair was falling out.