Kitten won't stop trying to nurse... | Sphynxlair

Kitten won't stop trying to nurse...

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by shaunc, Jul 18, 2010.

1. shaunc

shauncLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $296.00
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is this something she will grow out of on her own? Every night she starts to purr so loud she basically vibrates and then she attempts to lick/suck any skin above the blanket line, while kneading it. I've woken up with a kitten attached to my earlobe. :Sweat: I've tried saying no in a loud voice and pushing her back 30+ times, but she is relentless. I just bought a spray bottle and have been spraying her, but as soon as she cleans off the water she comes back for my neck. :(

2. Gadzukz

GadzukzV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $36.00
    Ratings:
    +1,219
    I don't know if it will stop, my daughter has a cat that nursed on her blankets as a kitten, now she is five years old and still nurses on my daughter's blankets and clothes!

3. marlene

marleneV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $51.00
    Ratings:
    +1,867
    Pedda still does the licking and kneading at bedtime. But she doesn't try to nurse every time, she's down to just once in a while on that part.

4. Haji the Sphynx

Haji the SphynxLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $129.00
    Ratings:
    +167
  5. xxx_phoenix_xxx

xxx_phoenix_xxxSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $38.00
    Ratings:
    +306
    awwwwww bless thats quite sweet i'm sure it i annoying when your trying to sleep but its still sweet awwwww:Laugh:
    my moms cat used to do this i'm not sure if she still does but when i left home 5 years ago she was 4 then and she was doing it all the time on our really fluffy cusions and our shaggy rug sooo funny to watch :LOL:

6. susi794

susi794Moderator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $46,076.92
    Ratings:
    +12,607
    • Scary sphynx
    • Puppy
    • Red Sphynx
    • Pink Sphynx
    • Orange Sphynx
    My sister's sphynx, Fishbones, is a terrible slurper. He just about goes into a trance with the slurping/sucking/licking and kneading. And he's 4. My Habibi--his sister, slurps also and not just at night. She tries it whenever she gets on my lap. Boo kneads me and sticks his nose up against my skin and purrs--but at least he doesn't slurp. And none of them will be denied. It's their comfort thing.

7. kiennasmom

kiennasmomV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $15.00
    Ratings:
    +903
    I've gotta agree with the others. Shey(RIP) was a nuzzler/slurper. She would suck and knead all the time--she especially liked the outside edge of your palm for some reason. She would purr her little heart out and just go at it! Between her loud purring and the slurping, I'd have to turn the TV volume up so I could hear over her!! She did it her entire life. It bugged me at times but I never denied her. Now that she's gone, I kind of miss it :Cry:

Maybe just try to embrace it as part of your kitty's personality? I know that's easier said than done when you're being kept awake by it.

8. Sianne_and_Alice

Sianne_and_AliceBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6.00
    Ratings:
    +267
    Alice does that too. I think it's cute though and I let her do it.......

9. Bella07

Bella07Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $279.00
    Ratings:
    +1,642
    Maybe when she is doing that, you should try to distract her, rather than pushing her away. Take her favorite toy and let her play with it for a bit. Start rubbing her belly....I don't know, do anything to distract her! Maybe that will work, but I'm not sure. It will probably take time and patience to break her out of this habit.

When my cat was a kitten, she would nurse and knead on our sheep skin rug. Maybe you can buy one of those, and let it be her "destination" spot. If she tries to nurse from you, pick her up, and put her on the rug. Kitty's usually like it because it feels like fur beneath their paws. Well, Good Luck! Hope everything works out!

10. heather

heatherV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $396.00
    Ratings:
    +462
    My Sophie used to do that at night but she hasn't done it in a long time. She used to frequently as a kitten but she's a year now and hasn't done it much. I think there's a chance she may stop after time or it will fade.

11. Melonie

MelonieSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $296.00
    Ratings:
    +195
    Juno doesn't do it to me because I made it very clear that I did NOT like it but she still sucks on Jack and she is 7 months old.

12. KushielsTart

KushielsTartLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $366.00
    Ratings:
    +66
    We could never make Zuul stop doing it no matter how hard we tried, so instead we would gently move her mouth to her forearm right above her paw. After a few weeks of doing that insistently she kept with it rather than on us or blankets. She's now 7 years old, and she still suckles on her arm when she's happy. She'll do it even without us touching her if she's found a warm spot and feels safe. Surely not doing it all would be the best solution but since we couldn't have that we found this to work. The worst that will ever happen is that you might get a slightly slimy arm when you pick her up.

13. Nofuratu

NofuratuV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $1,301.30
    Ratings:
    +1,702
    Well its not like thumb sucking and having to worry about braces....
    I had a 16 yr old stray that sucked on things.....obviously a lifetime habit...she never stopped. It was gross having little wet spots on the blankets but could never get her to stop.
    Just be careful if you sleep in the nude.
    We were very careful cuddling with "Turtle" in bed at night, because a nipple is a nipple, and nipples mean food and cats dont seem to discriminate! Ouch.
    Good luck...sorry I have no practical advice other than nipple guarding....
    ....sleeping with ear muffs on?
    Wearing large bulky earings...?
    hopefully she will grow out of it...what about getting her a pacifier? It could substitute for an ear lobe...

14. Candys

CandysV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $993.28
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    Creative distraction is a great idea. Toy, food or time out.

15. ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $43.00
    Ratings:
    +2,877
    It may not ever stop - just depends on the kitty. I would try getting a really small stuffed animal and when she comes to suckle give her that and hopefully she will suck on it. Even if she still kneads you (I could let Snuffie knead me 24/7), atleast you wont have the kitty drool all over you.

16. Candys

CandysV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $993.28
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    Dinka is 4 months old and tries to nurse my neck when we have settled in bed for the night. I allow this for a little while then I push him down under the covers to sleep for the night. It seems to work most of the time. I have had a couple of hickies on my cheek when I wake up in the morning. Those are the nights I have slept through it. I don't let him do it while we are snuggling around the house - only before bed time.:Smile::LOL: