Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kittens aren't getting along

Mckenzie

Lairian
Hi all! I recently adopted a 13 wk old male sphynx (Huey) and was so excited until I had to leave for work Huey was so talkative and it broke my heart , so I decided to get him a friend. Last night I adopted another (female) sphynx same exact age her name is Junie. I introduce them and all seemed fine they where curious and getting to know eachother . Huey tends to be a bit agressive and junie doesn't like that . Now he just keeps running up to her and pouncing on her and she is hissing and growling. I don't know what to do . Will they ever get along. How long do I separate them them ? Who sleeps with who? I've only had Huey less then a week before I decided he needed a friend! Please help

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Mckenzie, Welcome to you Huey and Junie-
They are both a tad young as most go home around 16 weeks- they are wee ones and are exploring their new world and social skills-
It is a whole new world for both of them - they will settle in time- lots of love play n patience- positive praise amd treats help
I set up multiple cat trees, litter boxes , blankets so they each find their comfort zone spot as they settle in-

I would encourage positive reinforcement and play with two pole toys at the same time with them and tossing treats-
For a positive association- they are youngsters and are playing like litter mates establishing their own little kitty social skills and order

My Toby plays fresher and I say "ah, Toby love" he swats his tail and runs like the wind :)
I often play with two pole toys with kitties at the same time- it helps wear them out to for a good nap-
I also kept extra throw blankets on my bed and placed a treat on each and directed them to "bed time"
And a few toys on the bed to play in the morning ...

You will see many posts here about kitties coming home and having similar experiences-
The help center with the red black and white sign has awesome info too
http://sphynxlair.com/community/thr...ynx-cat-or-sphynx-kitten-into-the-home.11304/
Then we see pics of kitties cuddling together :)

It will come.. Lots of time love play and patience
Hope to see pics of your babies!
Looking forward to your journey with us!

Ps- I would also highly recommend kitty proofing every room , counter, nook and cranny-especially string , dental floss, cable box wiring, small pieces of anything- if it fits in their mouth
They will try eating it - mine often get into trouble together :)
They are 4 yrs old now I still kitty proof everyday :)

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Mckenzie , many of us also start supplementing with l-lysine powder when we bring them home and then For maintenance
And keep a can of 100% pure pumpkin on hand for any poo issues from stresses of new home

Mine like to romp together on the cat climber and I play with the cat dancer
I play with two da-bird toys with them together- they love it
Just be sure to put the pole toys away or they will eat the strings!
I only use supervised and put in a closest after

Walmart ping pong balls at the same time are great too together with a store grocery brown paper bag to play together when I am not home

Attachments

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Some take time to get along introductions should be slow and at their pace not ours perhaps desperate them and do introductions slower. This is all new to them just like us with strangers we have to get to know strangers before we trust them same with animals

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Mckenzie : hello and welcome to sphynxlair! Congrats with you 2 new sphynx. How wonderfull of you, that you bought Huey a little friend. I think they need some time to get used to eachother and their new home (@Yoda mom did give you great advice about how to help them getting used to eachother). In about a few weeks Huey and Junie will be so happy that they live together!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Great advice has been given. I just want to add..I can't wait to see an updated pic of them being best buddies in about 2 weeks :)

Patti

Mckenzie

Lairian
Hi everyone that you for being so welcoming as a new sphynx mom I am sure I will have tons of questions. A little update on Junie and Huey , I keep them separate when I am not home , I have been feeding them together and playing with them together. Huey is still pouncing on her and almost beat hugging like and biting her neck , I almost wonder if it's because he isn't fixed. Junie just hisses and grows at him . Sometimes they're okay together and others he is attacking her (not sure if he is using nails or not ) it's only day 3 of them being together so I have hope that it will take time. Huey's nails are terribly sharp and he won't let me cut them , any suggestions? Do it while she's sleeping?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Mckenzie ,You are doing great with them! Sounds like there is a bunch of kitty play ! Making great progress!
I have one male that plays a little rougher than the others- she smacks him back when he pushes her buttons too much

My adoptees hated nail trims- I wait till they are in more sleepy time mode
I sit on the toilet lid for the bright lightening , got a bag of kitty treats opened.
Put kitty on a towel amd gave a couple - 2 or 3 treats-
I just touched the nail with the trimmer- gave verbal praise and a treat-
I touched each toe extended nail without clipping for a few days with the "touch and treat" routine
Day 5 it was the real deal :)
Clipped each toe nail with a firm fast non chalant no big deal trim- and a treat-
If they squirm an "ah" amd continue trim- a light scruff on neck like their mum would do if they growled and an "ah ah"
When all four feet done I put them on the ground and treat and immediate play with a da bird pole toy

Took a couple of weeks but they will get used to the routine - you decide when Mail trimming time is complete :)

Just watch for he little pink quick in the nail and a little off at a time at first is fine

Please post some pics!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Mckenzie , awwwhhhh I would say a success! Picture speaks for itself! Yah!
They are adorable together!

Keep us posted! Love to see pics!
She is Soo teeny next to him

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Aaaaw that's so cute! Sleeping together, they will be cuddling together very soon:)