Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kittens not getting along…

MissyB

Lairian
I brought Jax home 1 month ago. I brought Cami home 4 days ago. (Both sphynx - different breeders). Jax is being mean/terrorizing her. What do I do? I keep them separated when I’m gone for her safety. I have a spray bottle and keep CLOSE watch when home…

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member

I know it is stressful. It can take a couple of weeks for them to adjust. When you say terrorizing what behaviors are you seeing? It is very normal to see one dominant the other putting them in their place. Playing with a string toy between the 2 can help the focus not be on the kitten but have them together. String toys should always be under supervision. @MissyB

MissyB

Lairian

I know it is stressful. It can take a couple of weeks for them to adjust. When you say terrorizing what behaviors are you seeing? It is very normal to see one dominant the other putting them in their place. Playing with a string toy between the 2 can help the focus not be on the kitten but have them together. String toys should always be under supervision. @MissyB
Swatting, biting, pinning her down, chasing

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@MissyB those behaviors are very normal. No blood or truly biting and piercing skin are normal. They sort of need to figure things out while freaking you out. Kudos to you knowing at this early age not to leave them alone…you keeping an eye on them is the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MissyB

Lairian
@MissyB those behaviors are very normal. No blood or truly biting and piercing skin are normal. They sort of need to figure things out while freaking you out. Kudos to you knowing at this early age not to leave them alone…you keeping an eye on them is the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He has pierced her skin. I feel bad leaving her in the room alone while I'm at work because she wants to be out. But I'm not about to leave them together. I considered locking him up, but I figure that will feed his aggression. I was hoping it would resolve quickly, but I now understand it may take weeks. Thank you for your response.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a hallway…you might invest in a baby gate where they can eat on each side and see one another but again they can jump the gate…but good to smell and see safely.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have a feeling that your duo will be playing with each other very soon. You have two youngsters who are trying to establish their pecking order. I agree with @Catzzzmeow about keeping them separate when you can't supervise. You might try a Feliway plug in the main room where they both are.
We just introduced a kitten to our two adult Sphynxes last December, and found that toys were the key for them. Both Marcus (age 6) and Foxy (bratty kitten) love Da Bird, balls of any kind, and Hexbug robots. Cleopatra (11) supervised, and hissed at Foxy every time she got too close. Within a couple of weeks, the baby was jumping on Marcus and even playing with Cleo.
Hang in there and before you know it, this time will be a dim memory.

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When we introduced our girl Kiwi to her half brother Wilson, three months after we first got him, Wilson was swatting and chasing Kiwi too and tried to pin her down and bite her . We didn't leave them alone and un supervised at first but like other members have suggested, used play as a fun distraction .After a few weeks things settled down. Give it time and try not to get too stressed about it xx

MissyB

Lairian
I have a feeling that your duo will be playing with each other very soon. You have two youngsters who are trying to establish their pecking order. I agree with @Catzzzmeow about keeping them separate when you can't supervise. You might try a Feliway plug in the main room where they both are.
We just introduced a kitten to our two adult Sphynxes last December, and found that toys were the key for them. Both Marcus (age 6) and Foxy (bratty kitten) love Da Bird, balls of any kind, and Hexbug robots. Cleopatra (11) supervised, and hissed at Foxy every time she got too close. Within a couple of weeks, the baby was jumping on Marcus and even playing with Cleo.
Hang in there and before you know it, this time will be a dim memory.
Thank you. They are already doing a little better. I was afraid of it being a long term or permanent problem requiring me to rehome one. I am now confident they will soon be best buddies. That is, after all the reason I got a second kitten. I am so glad I joined this forum.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@MissyB so happy you are finding the community helpful. This forum is full of experienced Sphynx lovers as well as newbies and we love learn from one another. I stressed big time every time we brought home a kitten and watched them like a hawk and then things just naturally ironed out for them on their own terms. Keep watching and enjoying the process of them becoming buddies. When you see them playing together and truly enjoying their bond, your heart will grow big time.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
They may never become best buddies. Cleo and Marcus tolerate each other, as long as Marcus understands that Cleo is the boss. (not!) But yours are close enough in age that they should act like siblings of any species- playing, fighting, and causing trouble!

Back