Kitties that were at Petco | Sphynxlair

Kitties that were at Petco

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by georgehairlesson, Jan 13, 2010.

1. georgehairlesson

georgehairlessonSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $476.00
    Ratings:
    +70
    So I went to Petco the other day and noticed a big container of L-Lysine in the area that they keep the cats. Does that mean that one or more of the kitties has herpes? If so, I'm wondering why on every kitties information sheet it said "no health problems". Two kittens that were in separate cages both had goopy looking eyes.

2. havingalook

havingalookV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $342.00
    Ratings:
    +763
    Sounds like it.

Sadly, It's supply and demand with places like petstores. Sadly someone will buy these kittens thinking they are saving them. When really it means that Petco will order more, from whatever kittenmill they bought them from.

Poor babies.:Cry:

3. Brooke

BrookeBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $39.00
    Ratings:
    +440
    Maybe, maybe not.

I, personally, give Lysine to all of my cats - though only one has herpes. I would give it to them even if she didn't have it because of it's immune boosting properties. I also know of a local shelter here and a few breeders that give Lysine to all of their cats. So, it could just be preventative. (Like how we take vitamins...)

Still, as havingalook mentioned, pet store kittens are often from kitten mills and are likely to be sick...

4. Mews2much

Mews2muchV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $132.00
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    The Petco and Petsmart here gets them from the pounds and rescues not kitten mills.
    The other pet stores get them from kitten mills and never shopped there because of it.
    When you adopt cats from the rescues and pounds 99% of the time they will have a URI or something.
    Almost all the rescues we delivered to the foster homes had it.
    We do not deliver rescues anymore because I can not risk my cats getting sick.
    The ferals we saved never had Uri's for some reason.

5. Brooke

BrookeBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $39.00
    Ratings:
    +440
    I've noticed that, too! I take care of 5 (ex)ferals that live at my office. Had them trapped, neutered, vaccinated and then released them but now they're all friendly. It's been several years and not a single one of them has ever been sick! Not even a snotty nose or a watery eye...nothing.

6. georgehairlesson

georgehairlessonSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $476.00
    Ratings:
    +70
    That's unbelievably WRONG of Petco! Ugh! Especially to say they are healthy!

7. havingalook

havingalookV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $342.00
    Ratings:
    +763
    One of the big petstores in Amarillo (nearest town to me) has open days and rescue cats, but I'm not sure if its Petsmart or Petco.

8. kiennasmom

kiennasmomV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $15.00
    Ratings:
    +903
    I'm not sure about Petco, but my sister works at PetSmart and their kittens are from the local humane societies (through PetSmart Charities). The humane societies chose which cats go to PS and do all the applicant screening, etc. PetSmart is basically just the middleman/boarding area. They make no money off kitten purchases--it's a deal between the buyer & the humane society.

• Like Like x 2
    • Mews2much

Mews2muchV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $132.00
      Ratings:
      +2,010
      My sister adopted 2 cats from Petsmart.

• dragynflye

dragynflyeLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $304.00
      Ratings:
      +101

petco and petsmart act as adoption centers for local rescue groups and shelters. they don't "sell" kittens, they allow the rescue groups to sort of display the kittens/cats in their stores to help them find homes. while they provide the daily care for the animals while they are in the store, they have no other involvement.

i've volunteered for several pounds and rescue groups that have given l-lysine to every cat, every day. since it boosts their immune system, it is a good thing for them to be given in situations like this, full of stress and strangers.

• Jinxlover

JinxloverGuest

Sphynx Bucks:
      $
      Ratings:
      +0
      This is true of our petco and petsmart also. They dont sell kittens or puppies. they only adopt them out for the local rescue..

• ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
      $43.00
      Ratings:
      +2,876
      True for the PetSmart here as well. They only work with our local Humane Societys and I've noticed the same L-Lysine in the back, there was one kitty there today with a pretty icky eye boogie but he just looked like he needed cleaned up and some good lovins. I always get teary eyed when I go there and see them because I can't save them all. :(

• ElGatoLoco

ElGatoLocoV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $2,459.20
      Ratings:
      +992
      It's my understanding, at least at Petsmart, kitties come from shelters. They fix em up and get em ready for new homes with shots and spay/neuter. I get kinda sad when I walk by the kitties. I always want to take one home with me. They usually charge around a hundred bucks to cover the vet costs. Whenever I go I usually only see 3 or 4. I always want to see more. Maybe I should visit the animal shelter. Do they allow you to visit with the animals at shelters? Not just look but actually pet the kitties? It might be fun to actually spend a couple of hours throwing yarn around with a bunch of little monkeys flying around everywhere. I call cats monkeys. I don't know why.

• ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
      $43.00
      Ratings:
      +2,876
      Our local shelters here will allow you to come visit and hang out with them because they can't spend the one on one time that is needed with them. If they tend to get busy they do sorta seem to hasten you along so they can get the kitty/doggie back in the cage so other visitors can see them too tho. The actual dog shelter has lil rooms you can take them to to hang out with them and they have windows so other passer bys can see the animals as well. Just be careful - you could potentially bring something back to Butterball. I was volunteering at our local cat shelter and quit because I had heard either on here or someone there had brought something back home with them that their kitty had come down with. All was well in the end but I don't want to cause Snuffie any un needed stress.