Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitty biting

ArlosMom

Lairian
So Arlo is only 5 months old and I know part of biting is part of him being a kitten. However, he can get quite crazy with his play biting. He will wrap his "hands" around my arm and just gnaw at it or he'll get right up in my face and then bite my nose or lip like he's playing, but man--does that hurt!! What's up with that? Is there something other than telling him a firm "no" (and making him stop the death grip around my arm/gnawing thing and wanting to bite my nose and lip off) that I can or should be doing? He is the sweetest most gentle loving boy otherwise, but when he has these spastic spurts, he's a crazy loon! :X3:

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
you could try a toy to distract him with and have him bite that instead.I would recommend a toy that is fairly firm but soft enough that won't hurt him when he bites into it. Those catnip banana things work really well for max.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Ouch! Yes the bites can hurt. Ross never bites while playing but Toa likes to put his paw around my arm, hang in there like a monkey and bite in my arm. Most of the time I see it coming. I say firmly no. Because I noticed nothing can stop him or distract him I know get a thick towel, wrap it around my arm and let him play with my arm. He learned to only play like this when my arm is covered. If he wants to play while my arm is not covered he bites in it one time softly and meoows so I know it's 'towel wrestling time' :).

Maybe this will work for Arlo too if distracting him isn't the answer?

JenFid

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Mulder does this sometimes too. To be honest I screech really loudly every time he does and he stops immediately. Basically I let him know (in his language) it hurts like a mf'er, heh. He used to do it a lot more just a few weeks ago but rarely does it now, or if he does it and I yell, he stops biting and starts licking.

Back