Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitty likes to chew electrical cords

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Help, how do I get my kitty to quit chewing on electrical cords? We have lots of toys around and three scratching posts but she is drawn to electrical cords. She is also bad for eating anything she finds anywhere, including bugs.

Thanks everyone, you always have good ideas!

CuryC

Lairian
My dog did that once...she was a puppy and even though we would try to keep her from doing it she found one once, still plugged in. She bit it and it bit her back...she didn't do it again.

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My dog did that once...she was a puppy and even though we would try to keep her from doing it she found one once, still plugged in. She bit it and it bit her back...she didn't do it again.
My fear is that it will kill her :(

CuryC

Lairian
My fear is that it will kill her :(
Yes that was a fear of mine too.
It ended up triggering the breaker so it shut off. I think it just zapped her, and then once there was interference or something with the cord the breaker flipped off...which is how I found out, I tried to turn on a light or something and it wasn't working.

Jocy24

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Idk how many cords you'd have to protect but you could try slicing up a pool noodle and wrapping it around cords.

As for the bugs...well I haven't been able to stop my Archie from eating them but he's taken care of several crickets that were driving me nuts.

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Idk how many cords you'd have to protect but you could try slicing up a pool noodle and wrapping it around cords.

As for the bugs...well I haven't been able to stop my Archie from eating them but he's taken care of several crickets that were driving me nuts.
I tried the pool noodle trick but she likes to chew on those and then she eats the little chunks she gets off! Little monkey! But thanks for the suggestion!

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
One of my babies is nuts about the iPad cord, but only that one... I try to keep it in my bag. But can't you somehow "hide" the cords? Maybe spray water on her when she chews? I would be so scared that something bad would happen... maybe put something on the cords that tastes bad?