Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitty on thirst strike! (secretly proud of my lil activist - just wish I knew what he's protesting)

Zyra

Lairian
Hi, all!

Back again for more of your amazing advice and assurance. As always, I have typed keywords from my query into search and no similar threads came up - but sorry if this is a repost!

I have had Neech for just over a month now. He's the best. We moved into my parent's not too long ago (I made a thread about that, too) and he settled really well. He's so gassed to have four humans to dote on him now instead of one! He took to his new room and used the litter tray and feeding station right away.

I typically change his water and wash his bowls every day - however for two days I did not do this, I simply put wet food into the bowl in the morning without washing it, and made sure there was enough water in his dispenser, but did not change the water. There was no particular reason for this, his feeding station just did not look as though it needed washing up yet.

Yesterday however, as normal, I washed his bowls and changed his water. On receipt of his new water, Neech stared at the bowl and meowed at me for a while, then proceeded not to drink. We share a bed and typically in the middle of the night, Neech will get really thirsty and fill 'er up. Last night he did not do this. I changed his water again today, very deliberately making sure he could see me changing it and still, no dice.

I put some water in his little blue bowl today also (this is usually his treat bowl) and after I lead him to it and played with him around it a little, he did drink a really small amount, but still nothing like what he will typically drink at his typical, routine times.

Has anyone had a similar experience? How did you combat the situation and ensure your baby stayed hydrated? Could this be an indicator of something more serious? Thank you!

I have also included pics of his feeding station in case there is something obvious I am missing (the red bowl is filled with wet food every morning). The station has been in the same place since we arrived at my parents.

Edit: I have heard putting catnip leaves in water can encourage cats to drink. Any further suggestions?

Attachments

Last edited:

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes, first thing, move his water bowl.
Into your room would be a great place.
You could put another one some other place.
Cats don't want their water at their food.
Let him see you and put some ice cubes in the water.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Try putting a glass of water beside you for him, just pretend it's yours. If he will drink from it, it will at least get him some water in the mean time.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, all!

Back again for more of your amazing advice and assurance. As always, I have typed keywords from my query into search and no similar threads came up - but sorry if this is a repost!

I have had Neech for just over a month now. He's the best. We moved into my parent's not too long ago (I made a thread about that, too) and he settled really well. He's so gassed to have four humans to dote on him now instead of one! He took to his new room and used the litter tray and feeding station right away.

I typically change his water and wash his bowls every day - however for two days I did not do this, I simply put wet food into the bowl in the morning without washing it, and made sure there was enough water in his dispenser, but did not change the water. There was no particular reason for this, his feeding station just did not look as though it needed washing up yet.

Yesterday however, as normal, I washed his bowls and changed his water. On receipt of his new water, Neech stared at the bowl and meowed at me for a while, then proceeded not to drink. We share a bed and typically in the middle of the night, Neech will get really thirsty and fill 'er up. Last night he did not do this. I changed his water again today, very deliberately making sure he could see me changing it and still, no dice.

I put some water in his little blue bowl today also (this is usually his treat bowl) and after I lead him to it and played with him around it a little, he did drink a really small amount, but still nothing like what he will typically drink at his typical, routine times.

Has anyone had a similar experience? How did you combat the situation and ensure your baby stayed hydrated? Could this be an indicator of something more serious? Thank you!

I have also included pics of his feeding station in case there is something obvious I am missing (the red bowl is filled with wet food every morning). The station has been in the same place since we arrived at my parents.

Edit: I have heard putting catnip leaves in water can encourage cats to drink. Any further suggestions?
Has his feeding area moved recently? That can have issues at times, also, anything added, loud noisy things like washers, air conditioners or dryers in the room or area? Many members have great luck with water fountains as well. Just noticed it appears the dishes are plastic? Sometimes this can cause acne issues on the face, stainless steel or ceramic may be better unless you don't have that problem. :)

petsafe.jpg
p-35917-48036.jpg

Zyra

Lairian
Thank you so much for all the great advice guys, I moved his water away from the food and we do not seem to have a problem now.

I have now taken to filling the blue bowl with water, too, as, although you have mentioned they don't like their water near their food, he is a lazy baby and when eating dry he will stop for a sip occasionally!

Also ordered some ceramic bowls to prevent any feline acne or the other things admin touched on.

You guys are the best, we're in such good hands!