Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitty plays dead when I put sweater on!

lexin77

Lairian
I got Ripley the most adorable sweater to keep her warm! One problem though...
She plays completely dead when I put it on! She falls on the floor, off the couch, even off the bed! Eyes completely shut! After about 10 minutes of this behavior she starts throwing herself on the ground (I'm assuming to get it off). Anyone else seen this bizarre behavior??

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
Well, I haven't clothed a cat (yet) but I have put sweaters on my dogs. I have one who flails around like the fabric is killing her...and another who won't potty if she's clothed.

Maybe you found a new form of Sphynx behavioral training...the sweater technique!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sounds like she does not like the sweaters.
If I put pajamas on Cleo or Wrinkles they will not move and fall over when they walk.
They are ok with anything else.

PitRottMommy

Banned
It does take time and fabric has alot to do with it.

Baldwin doesn't mind sweaters, but he'd rather be naked. Buck acts like he's dead and Buffy isn't tolerant unless I'm using a TouchMe or Chiara sweater on her. Then she's up prancing around like she owns the place. lol.

Brooke

Banned
Walter will fall over or fall off the furniture, Mandy takes off running at top speed as soon as I put a sweater on her, Nelson walks around pouting, and Helen absolutely lights up and just loves it!

ellie4-12

Lairian
Maybe you should try finding a thinner sweater to put on him first so that he can get used to it? That's probably what I would do. Harry initally wasn't too keen on the sweaters.. ( One night.. he went to bed with his blue sweater and when I woke up.. It was gone?!) HAHA! that was really funny because I couldn't find it anywhere!! He ended up shedding it under the bed..

I think it helped him a bit to wear a thinner sock sweater for a shorter period of time. It's all about getting them used to it.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sophie has done the best with sock shirts. I tried her in t-shirts but if I put them on her the next time I look at her she's got it around her waist. I made her a sweater but she just sat and then moved her arms funny because she didn't like the way the arms felt.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I got Ripley the most adorable sweater to keep her warm! One problem though...
She plays completely dead when I put it on! She falls on the floor, off the couch, even off the bed! Eyes completely shut! After about 10 minutes of this behavior she starts throwing herself on the ground (I'm assuming to get it off). Anyone else seen this bizarre behavior??

George does the exact same thing! He literally just slumps over!

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Maybe you should try finding a thinner sweater to put on him first so that he can get used to it? That's probably what I would do. Harry initally wasn't too keen on the sweaters.. ( One night.. he went to bed with his blue sweater and when I woke up.. It was gone?!) HAHA! that was really funny because I couldn't find it anywhere!! He ended up shedding it under the bed..

I think it helped him a bit to wear a thinner sock sweater for a shorter period of time. It's all about getting them used to it.

That does make sense Ellie, because all of George's sweaters are thick. It must be the material.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sophie has done the best with sock shirts. I tried her in t-shirts but if I put them on her the next time I look at her she's got it around her waist. I made her a sweater but she just sat and then moved her arms funny because she didn't like the way the arms felt.

Where do you get "sock shirts"???

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
LOL I got a big kick out of everyone's thread. Stella doesn't play dead, but I think she's neutral to the idea of wearing a sweater. Of course she prefers not to wear it, but the other day when I put on her Halloween sweater, she tolerated it. I also took her to my parent's house, which meant taking her out in the breezy weather (also wrapped in a fleece blanket!). I think she enjoyed it that day.

Reality is, we put sweaters and shirts on them for ourselves. Am I wrong? :Smile:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
LOL I got a big kick out of everyone's thread. Stella doesn't play dead, but I think she's neutral to the idea of wearing a sweater. Of course she prefers not to wear it, but the other day when I put on her Halloween sweater, she tolerated it. I also took her to my parent's house, which meant taking her out in the breezy weather (also wrapped in a fleece blanket!). I think she enjoyed it that day.

Reality is, we put sweaters and shirts on them for ourselves. Am I wrong? :Smile:

No your 100% correct on that one! oh and I love the halloween look!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Piglet doesn't mind wearing her sweaters, but she walks like a little old lady when she has them on...LOL! Most of the time she'd rather go "au natural" than wear clothing, but the weather here in Colorado has been so cold lately, I think she's now actually looking forward to wearing her sweaters...to stay warm!

By the way, ultra_stella, I love your avantar pic! Stella looks so adorable in her Halloween gear!

silly4lilly

Lairian
LOL my female milky does the same thing!!!! as soon as you put it on, she is like a statue, she wont move. its great because normally she hates being held, but if we put a sweater on her she will let you hold her because she doesnt move

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If I put clothes on Kramer & Newman they HATE:Angry: each other! They hiss & go after each other until the clothes come off.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I had to stop dressing Leo and Athena I found that it was A bit dangerous I like the way they look but we decided to no longer put any kind of cloths on them because one day they where both dressed and looked wonderful but they tried to help each other to get their sweaters off and I found Athena struggling with the sweater around her neck :Sweat: it scared the daylights out of us so no more cute outfits for our guys.
We did get them halloween costume's but only for pictures and for halloween so they can help answer the door but I will keep them on there leash so they can not get hurt.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Meecho isn't sure how she feels about her clothes. On the one hand she hates them and will walk with her back legs squatting to the ground. On the other hand she knows if I put clothes on her she gets to go outside so she gets excited. Once I saw her run down the hall perfectly normal and when she noticed me looking at her, her butt hit the ground so fast and I knew it was all an act:LOL:

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Meecho isn't sure how she feels about her clothes. On the one hand she hates them and will walk with her back legs squatting to the ground. On the other hand she knows if I put clothes on her she gets to go outside so she gets excited. Once I saw her run down the hall perfectly normal and when she noticed me looking at her, her butt hit the ground so fast and I knew it was all an act:LOL:

LOL! Meecho was tricking you!

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:Angry::Angry: I'm gonna KILL her:Angry::Angry: I bought her two very cute dresses today and I left them on the bed. When I came back they were BOTH gone. Do you know where I found them?!?!?!? Buried in her litter box:Furious:

Back