Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

kitty valium

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello, I asked a while back about Lemmy and his bath time. I got a lot of great suggestions, however he is still wild. He has now made laceration number 2 on my hand. I also have multiple other marks as well. So, I again am at a loss. I was wondering about kitty valium or something similar. I am not very knowledgable about this and was curious if it was safe to use and if anyone else had tried it?? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi lemmysmommy I always tlk to Maggie during a bath the whole time lol it seems to calm her down a little..... It's worth a try. My opinion to Valium is negitive, besides I don't think it would be good every bath. Maybe hopefully he eventually will get use to it. Good luck.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Hello, I asked a while back about Lemmy and his bath time. I got a lot of great suggestions, however he is still wild. He has now made laceration number 2 on my hand. I also have multiple other marks as well. So, I again am at a loss. I was wondering about kitty valium or something similar. I am not very knowledgable about this and was curious if it was safe to use and if anyone else had tried it?? Any suggestions are appreciated.

I'm repeating my recommendation to cut and buff Lemmy's nails before bath time. Doing this will prevent lacerations. If this hasn't worked, look in to Soft Paws. They're available for a reasonable price at Petco/Petsmart.

Valium is a very BAD idea for cats, especially repetitively. There is no reason to medicate any pet for an elective procedure, especially one like bath time. The risks are numerous, including death.

You can, however, try Rescue Remedy. Putting a Feliway diffuser in your bathroom would not be a bad idea, as well.

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Have you tried filling up the bath all the way with warm water? So his whole body is in it? kreacher hates baths as well but doing this seems to make him a little calmer. Also I try not to run the water while he's in there cause it freaks him out. Just a thought. As far as valium, I definately wouldn't give him any. If you ask your vet and explain the situation, he may be able to give you some mild oral sedatives. Just like Maggies mommy said you need to make bath time as much of a positive experince as possible. I throw a towl in the dryer while i'm bathing him, and then when he is done he gets wrapped up like a burrito, and Kreacher loves it! I also will give him lots of praise and kitty treats for behaving. If your anxious about giving him a bath, your cat will be able to pick up on your anxiety, and it will make him anxious as well.

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I did blunt his claws, well actually the vet did b/c he won't let me do that either. I tried the two sink method and tried talking to him to keep him calm. He jumped out of the sink like 4 times before I could get him washed and rinsed. After his bath he won't let me even touch him to wrap him in a warm towel. He just runs and hides. Am I doing something really wrong?? I feel like a sphynx mommy failure!!

PitRottMommy

Banned
I did blunt his claws, well actually the vet did b/c he won't let me do that either. I tried the two sink method and tried talking to him to keep him calm. He jumped out of the sink like 4 times before I could get him washed and rinsed. After his bath he won't let me even touch him to wrap him in a warm towel. He just runs and hides. Am I doing something really wrong?? I feel like a sphynx mommy failure!!

If he's still scratching you, upgrade to soft paws. They're tiny acrylic tabs that fit over the nails and prevent scratching. They stay on for about 2 weeks with the initial application.

It sounds to me like Lemmy needs some desensitization and some tough love. In most cases, no offense, the cats "do as they please" because they're permitted to run amock when they want. To desensitize your companion, obtain him when he's calm, wrap him tightly in a towel and hold him close to your body (away from your face). He will likely try to leave, and start to wrestle, etc. Keep a firm grip on him. Once he settles down, then release him. This exercise is meant to teach your companion tolerance, it's not meant to be mean. Those of us that use exercises like this wind up with pets that are more tolerant of things they don't like (everything from nail trims right now to having their blood drawn). You'll likely find that when you continue with this effort, your companion will become more relaxed during stressful situations and responsive to your calming voice. Starting young works the best. I've seen this work wonders in my own household with the two cats I adopted in June, Buck and Buffy. My original sphynx, Baldwin, was raised with desensitization exercises and will sit still for anything I want to do: ear cleanings, nail trims/buffing down with a noisy dremel, removing eye boogers with a q-tip, carrying him in front of barking and excited dogs, drawing blood from him with a large gauge needle, etc. Buffy and Buck haven't made all the strides that Baldwin has, but I've seen a huge improvement in their tolerance--where the original owner practically allowed them to do as they pleased.

Pets are alot like children, we must teach them what is acceptable and set boundaries for them. Cats are smart, much more than dogs. However, many cats aren't taught to behave like dogs are--because people don't think they have the learning skills.

Stick with it, repetition is key. And make sure to bathe Lemmy with the door shut to the bathroom or a baby gate up in the kitchen. It's important for him to learn that he cannot avoid being bathed by hiding or scratching and running. You may also benefit from using a second person. When I bathe my cats, I keep one hand on their chest (to keep them from dunking their head and from heading to the side of the tub) and one rubbing, scrubbing and rinsing. After I'm finished (still keeping my hand on the cat), I pick them up and swaddle them in a towel. I immediately flip them on their back for nails, ears and eyes. It takes time, but a 2nd person really does help. Jason often has the towel ready for the kitty, so he can get them on their back and I can get the dremel and the q-tips ready.

Good luck, keep us posted. You might search under the search tab to see other recommendations, it seems bath time has held problems for many of our members, not just yourself. You might find new ideas under some of their posts, as well. Don't forget, you can try Rescue Remedy and also the Feliway diffuser to release calming pheromones in the room you're using to bathe Lemmy. Have you tried the bath tub yet?

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Don't feel bad...Jack is a terror. I have tried all methods and he does a little better in the tub than the sink ,but I am more stubborn than he is and I will just keep at it. Maizie is a little better but not a happy camper. I do not have a problem doing nails or ears especially if I wait till they crawl under a fleece blanket on my lap and get sleepy. I always rub and handle their feet when they are on my lap and they have gotten used to them being handled. These two kids were 7 months old when they came and did not have alot of 1 on 1 attention in my opinion. Tonight someone came over and for the first time the kitties came into the room to check them out instead of hiding. They are just now allowing me to pick them up but not for long. They are very affectionate but on their terms. Just hang in there and I think you will slowly see some progress. What do ppl think of those dishwashing gloves to protect you until he gets better? Opinions? Do you think they would just scare him more?

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My M-I-L has to wear the rubbermaid gloves for giving her male a bath, not sure on her female, but I know for the male.

silly4lilly

Lairian

why dont you just try using baby wipes? we tried putting ours in the tub and sink but it does not work for us.

we clean our 2 sphynx's with baby wipes. it still takes two people to wipe them down, though!! they dont seem to mind it as much.

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Gulliver just keeps getting more and more annoyed with bath time, I think I will try the bathtub full method again. He seemed to be okay with the running shower for a while, but maybe it started freaking him out now? I've got a huge gash under my lip, first time in the 10 months I've had him and it hurts :ThumbsDown:

J

Jinxlover

I cant give Boo a bath with the running shower, it freaks her out. I fill the tub and do it that way.
She is getting a lot worse as she's getting older. She use to live her bath, now it's a fight.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If it makes you feel better, you're not the only one. I have found putting on a thick shirt or coat helps to prevent lacerations.

I also dip butterball in the water and then wash and scrub outside the tub. Then I give him another dip to rinse off. He doesn't seem to get as clean but it is much easier.

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I've had pretty good success with my method...of course it depends on the cat.

1. fill tub to just over touching belly depth while wife plays with cat. (so he doesn't notice or at least is distracted) water temp exactly 100 f

2. lure cat into bathroom with treats. close door

3. pet cat with oily hands (dip hands to warm oil -- then pet it on)

4. wipe off excess oil( reassure myself that I'm not a bad man when kitty cries at this stage)

5.pet cat with shampoo'd hands (put shampoo on hands, dip in water, lather hands)

6. pick up suspicious soaped-up cat and place in water(try to avoid feel like bad man again)

--at this point the cat is already wet from the shampoo, and is getting a little cold. so putting him into the water doesn't scare him too much. I typically have about 30 seconds to rinse the soap off without making splashing noises before he starts to get upset.

7. lift cat out of tub so he doesn't make the splash that bothers him. give kitty treats.

8. clean soap and oil up

9. dry off kitty

10. let him out of bathroom before draining tub (scary noises again)

11. count fingers -- If I still have 9.5 I succeeded again!

holly_savage

Banned
:LOL::LOL::LOL:
that is hillarious Fester...I guess I should be counting myself lucky cause Hibou, while I can't say she likes it, she tolerates it fairly well and I don't really need to bath all that often, once every 2 weeks, sometimes less. I still find my method of having my own bath in really hot water, and about 30 minutes later, I call Greg over to dump her in works the best for us...the secret is stay on your side of the tub and keep the cat in the other side and of course the glass shower doors help alot...lol
But Greg refues to do it like that...he's afraid she'll get intrigued by his...errrr...ummm...man bits and bobs!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I've had pretty good success with my method...of course it depends on the cat.

1. fill tub to just over touching belly depth while wife plays with cat. (so he doesn't notice or at least is distracted) water temp exactly 100 f

2. lure cat into bathroom with treats. close door

3. pet cat with oily hands (dip hands to warm oil -- then pet it on)

4. wipe off excess oil( reassure myself that I'm not a bad man when kitty cries at this stage)

5.pet cat with shampoo'd hands (put shampoo on hands, dip in water, lather hands)

6. pick up suspicious soaped-up cat and place in water(try to avoid feel like bad man again)

--at this point the cat is already wet from the shampoo, and is getting a little cold. so putting him into the water doesn't scare him too much. I typically have about 30 seconds to rinse the soap off without making splashing noises before he starts to get upset.

7. lift cat out of tub so he doesn't make the splash that bothers him. give kitty treats.

8. clean soap and oil up

9. dry off kitty

10. let him out of bathroom before draining tub (scary noises again)

11. count fingers -- If I still have 9.5 I succeeded again!

Love your method.

I was lucky I used to bathe my boys in the kitchen sink. Zulie and Gollum were both shower pee-ers tho.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
All of my cats hate bath time. They all try to run away and once I firmly scruff them plop them in the water and give them a firm NO. They all will sit there. It is like they need me to show them I am not messing around. I almost always give them a bath with my toddler it is like they know they can't be naughty if he is in there for some reason.

jovanna

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Wahl makes a product called "Smart Groom No Rinse Shampoo" for cats. They also have one for dogs. It is a foaming cleanser that can be applied and wiped off with a towel. I sometimes use this with a wipe in between baths.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Nofuratu hates his baths also and we find he is much better behaved in the bath tub!
We fill it all the way up to his neck and that kind of makes him freeze like a statue.
Also make sure the water is warm enough....he was upset more when the water was lukewarm..he likes it on the hotter side.
I agree with desensitization, being firm etc and not giving in. If we let nofuratu get away with it he would be impossible to bathe as well!
Not sure if I mentioned the screen method....saw in a book somewhere a person but a window screen in the tub so the cat latches its nails onto the screen while you bath him.
Also, rescue remedy is a great idea.

KushielsTart

Lairian
I don't know if my suggestion is the best since your kitty has been scratching...but having said that, even though my cats don't like bath time they all do well with my method. I actually get in the tub with them. It's a two person process. We fill the tub with water to a little less than tummy height (I find that works best for us for dealing with yucky armpits) and strip down and get in. My hubby hands me the cats one at a time, and I was them with them standing between my legs. I find I can get better leverage on them and keep them from jumping out of the tub that way. Then I hand the kitty off to my hubby to be wrapped in a towel, and he hands me the next kitty. Also keep in mind that I'm under 5 feet, so its no hardship for me to do it this way. Some people might find it a bit uncomfortable to be folded up in the bath with the cat. :p

I also whole heartedly agree with the tough love of holding them even when they don't want it, especially when they are small. You will come across tough situations when they won't want to be calm, and starting that young helps. We have never had to use a carrier with any of our kitties, because they've learned to be calm and sit still when they're supposed to.

Good luck!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I just fill the bathtub with warm water, get nekked, then hang on to Pedda and climb in. Get her wet then sit her on my legs and scrub her down, then plunk her in it to rinse her off. She yowls like a banshee but tolerates it because she's learned that it doesn't do any good to fight and if she behaves I'll give her some Pounces when its done.

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I just don't know how he knows it's his bath time... He will come in the bathroom when I go take a shower and sit at the far end... But when his bath is full and I come looking for him, he's nowhere to be found :LOL: it takes me 5 min to find him and we only have a 2 bedroom apartment!!!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We have never had to use a carrier with any of our kitties, because they've learned to be calm and sit still when they're supposed to.

I would love to hear how you do this. I couldn't go without using a carrier with my DSHs but perhaps it is because we never had them as young kittens. We usually adopted young adults and seniors and let our frightened rescues dictate how much they wanted to be handled too.

Back