Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Know of a Safe Mosquito Repellent for sphynx cats?

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It is almost mosquito season here... they can get so bad that you don't want to go outside with your mouth open!! I was wondering if anyone knows of/ has tried any effective bug repellents that are safe for cats? Planning on keeping her inside, but wanted to know because we still get the few that are buzzing around the house from when the doors open.

Thanks!!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Know of a Safe Mosquito Repellent?

It is almost mosquito season here... they can get so bad that you don't want to go outside with your mouth open!! I was wondering if anyone knows of/ has tried any effective bug repellents that are safe for cats? Planning on keeping her inside, but wanted to know because we still get the few that are buzzing around the house from when the doors open.

Thanks!!
The problem with insect repellents is that chemicals that may be safe for humans and our Canine buddies, are in fact "un-safe" and can be very toxic for cats. Cats are serious groomers, which leads to ingestion or absorption of any toxic products or medications applied on the body or skin.

The compound DEET is the insecticide in many insect or mosquito repellents. Also for those of you who have dogs that your sphynx is best buddies with and perhaps goes as far as even grooming their canine companion must be careful if you use repellents like K9 Advantix which contains permethrin that is very toxic for cats.

the best mosquito repellent is to keep your cats indoors during the early morning and later evenings when mosquitos are more prevalent and be sure all window and door screening is in good repair in your home.

Also there are other products like essential oils or garlic that have been known to be used as insect repellent which in most cases are fine for humans but can be a toxic to pets.

They do make indoor electronic devices like this one and other various electronic mosquito devices which can be found easily searching Google if you really have a mosquito and fly problems in the home - http://www.amazon.com/Stinger-MA06-Indoor-Insect-Trap/dp/B0007RXD8M/ref=pd_sim_lg_5

41bxZQOQnRL.jpg