Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kramer's procedure tomorrow

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well tomorrow Kramer is going to be knocked out and have his tear duct flushed out and possibly pluck out some eyelashes. He has always squinted & produced more tears with one of his eyes, we had him on meds for a cold & it helped but not fixed it. So we are thinking that he either has a clogged duct or some tiny eyelashes have grown & are irritating his eye.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Lacrimal duct flushing is rather simple and it's actually a rather common necessity in animals with lessened hair. Buck has the same problem Kramer has, save the presence of eyelashes. A good friend of mine has ordered the cannulas necessary to do this procedure and hopefully we'll be having it done before the middle of September. Keep us posted!

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Lacrimal duct flushing is rather simple and it's actually a rather common necessity in animals with lessened hair. Buck has the same problem Kramer has, save the presence of eyelashes. A good friend of mine has ordered the cannulas necessary to do this procedure and hopefully we'll be having it done before the middle of September. Keep us posted![/QUOTE

Yes it is a simple procedure; I have done several of them during my time as a Vet Tech. I will keep everyone posted on how it goes.

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Kramer is doing well after his procedure... back to chasing the dogs around already. We are pretty confident that it was just a clogged duct, since we were able to get a better/ closer look with him being sedated. So hopefully this is all that we needed to do to correct this for him.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That's good news! Back to running around already- that's too funny.

I'm trying to familiarize myself with all these common sphynx conditions that are due to them being hairless and all.

Glad to hear all went well.

RuthArt

Lairian
what was used to sedate him? I've read some things about Ketamine and need to make sure something is put into Pinkz chart so that nothing fatal is ever given to him should the need arise and I'm not 'with it' on any particular day. (you know, CRS!!)

so glad to hear he's doing well. I have problems with eyelashes poking into my eye because of clogged glands so can relate to the pain and irritation it causes.

hugs, Ruth

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We sedated Kramer with Acepromazine/ Atropine / Telazol.

Acepromazine has a depressant effect on the central nervous system. It causes sedation, muscular relaxation and a reduction in spontaneous activity.

Atropine is basically used to reduce salivation.

Telazol is a is a rapid-acting anesthetic that produces a state of unconsciousness. Cranial nerve and spinal reflexes remain active & the eyes remain open with the pupils dilated.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I will never let any vet use Ketamine .
I now some of the breeders that have lost cats to Ketamine.
I am glad Kramer is ok now.

Brooke

Banned
Reason to not use Ketamine - it can cause sudden death in cats with HCM because of the way it effects the cat's blood pressure.

Ruth, in case you aren't familiar yet, HCM, or hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, is a heart condition that can occur in all breeds of cats, even "regular ol' furry ones", but it can be passed genetically and is found to be more common in some breeds - the sphynx being one of them.

So, if you have a sphynx, you have a chance of him having undiagnosed HCM. Best to go ahead and have your vet mark his records "Do Not Use Ketamine"...there are other (safer) options.

This is another good opportunity for me to plug getting your sphynxes scanned for HCM!!
I know you all are sick of me saying that, but I don't care. :Wink: :Laugh:

PS - Kerrie, glad to hear Kramer is A-OK! Can't wait to hear how he takes to his new brother...

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yes were are wondering too how Kramer will be but he's only 7 mo. so I'm assuming he will be fine.

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Day 2 after Kramer's Surgery. We have noticed a definite difference; he is still squinting it a little but it has definitely improved ALOT:ThumbsUp: THANK GOD - hopefully it will be the end of eye meds after we finish these for a while ... he absolutely hates :Furious: getting eye meds, but he lets me do it.

Brooke

Banned
Day 2 after Kramer's Surgery. We have noticed a definite difference; he is still squinting it a little but it has definitely improved ALOT:ThumbsUp: THANK GOD - hopefully it will be the end of eye meds after we finish these for a while ... he absolutely hates :Furious: getting eye meds, but he lets me do it.

Kramer's not the only one that hates eye meds...Helen had an old eye injury and cataract surgery before I got her. My vet gave me some steroid drops to give her for 2 weeks that he said may or may not help, but it was worth a try...well...I tried. I got drops in her eye a total of 2 times. She absolutely will NOT let me put anything in her eyes. Just too sensitive from having been hurt and messed with so much when she was younger, I guess. I have to sneak up on her to even wipe her eyes when they get gunky.:Angry:

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
He deals with it but doesn't like it. As soon as he sees me grabbing the eye meds off of the counter he mysteriously leaves as if he has something better to do when 90% of the time if I am in the kitchen he is right there with me! But he gets a treat afterwards so he deals with it!

Back