Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Lysine or L-Lysine can be used to treat upper respiratory problems in your sphynx cat and also help with the symptoms of Feline Herpes. Many Sphynx owners have found Lysine helps in the aid of minor cold symptoms like sneezing, runny eyes and coughing. It's generally sprinkled into the food or given as treats. Lysine can be found in most Nutrition centers or even Walmart. In many cases the cat has contracted a URI (upper respiratory infection) and must be treated with an antibiotic, Clavamox is not always effective for some sphynx cats. Orbax seems to help and many use Doxycline for more severe cases/remedies as it covers a wider spectrum.

Lysine Can Help & Prevent The Following:
  • Feline herpes symptoms
  • Cold sores
  • Fever blisters
  • Upper respiratory infections (URI) symptoms
  • Conjunctivitis (eye discharge, swollen, irritated, red, itchy, dry, cloudy)
  • Squinting
  • Sneezing
  • Sinus congestion or discharge
  • Throat and mouth sores
  • Lethargy
What Is L-Lysine you ask?
L-lysine is an antiviral medication that helps control and treat the feline herpes virus in your Sphynx cat. L-lysine displaces arginine, an amino acid that is necessary for the feline herpes virus to replicate.

What Does L-Lysine Do?
L-lysine reduces the symptoms of a herpes flare-up as well as common cold symptoms in sphynx cats.
L-lysine has been shown to reduce the symptoms of feline herpes, including conjunctivitis, corneal ulcers and congestion. Regular use of L-lysine also reduces viral shedding and mitigates viral flare-ups in cats.

L-Lysine Products
L-lysine can be administered to cats in a various forms, the most common of which is Viralys powder, which can be sprinkled over food. It is also available as Viral gel, Enisyl-F lysine gel and Enisyl-F lysine treats.

Recommended Dosage
Many Sphynx cat owners use Lysine treats or powder the food to boost their Sphynx immune systems. Most people use about 250 mg -500 mg sprinkled over food, 250 mg being the most common for a "maintenance" type dose and 500 mg if your kitty has symptoms of a cold or herpes flare up (see your vet for proper dosage).

See your vet for proper dosage and treatment of this disease.

Sphynx Cat Community

Disclaimer: I am not a vet. See your vet for proper dosage and recommendations.

Last edited:

tolucatheelf

Lairian
Hello! Thanks for the info. What brand do you suggest buying? There are so many on the market. And is that dosage daily? Thanks!

Rachlp

Lairian
Hi Everyone,

I have emailed the vet but have yet to receive a reply, so I wanted to know do any of you use lysine for your sphynx kitten and if so what dosage is safe for a 6 month old kitten?

I will continue to Google this but would love to hear from some experienced sphynx owners.

Thank you in advance

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Just snapped this pic from the container of it we have. Ours comes with a small scoop inside the container.
2656478804be586b14244a87e846b6b7.jpg
@Rachlp

Rachlp

Lairian
That is a huge help, thank you.

Well little Donald turns 6 months on the 4th October so we will wait until then and try upping the dosage and see how it works.

Thank you so very much

Ailin

Lairian
I am on the fence about lysine and was curious if most of you use it or not. I was giving it to my Bella and didn’t really see a difference. Bella was using it for her brown runny eyes. I’m now getting ready, in January to get my new little guy Milo and haven’t decided if I’m getting lysine again or not.
B5325EAF-0AFE-4B6F-A973-9486779223AF.jpeg

Natalie Murphy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am on the fence about lysine and was curious if most of you use it or not. I was giving it to my Bella and didn’t really see a difference. Bella was using it for her brown runny eyes. I’m now getting ready, in January to get my new little guy Milo and haven’t decided if I’m getting lysine again or not.
View attachment 105946
He is goegeous

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Ailin , I used l-lysine years ago when I first got my nakids. I personally did not see a difference. there was info not to long ago online about the effectiveness of it, or not. I don't personally supplement with it anymore. personal preference. I will try to find the article.
read this :

" While lysine supplementation is sometimes recommended, this treatment is quite controversial. Several studies suggest that lysine supplementation is not effective and may actually worsen symptoms and promote shedding of the virus."

you can ask your vet/talk with breeder for an informed decision

others will surely chime in.

Last edited:
Back