Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

L-Lysine in Canada

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hey Lair folks :)

Just wondering where other Canadians out there get their L-Lysine powder? Right now we have been giving it in treat form since it's easy for us to get, but would really just like to switch to the powder.

Looking at online pet stores that are Canadian, but haven't had much luck yet.
Any recommendations on where to get it?
I've found it on US sites, but then shipping is expensive, or the exchange rate will just not be good.

Also looked on Amazon.ca, but the pricing seem so to be terrible on it, and no prime shipping.

Thanks!! :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Nicolemorgan , I use the Now brand 100% l-lysine sold at health stores or Amazon
I like it bcz it doesn't have extra stuff in it like so,e on the market for kitties
Just be sure to read the ingredients as 100% pure

I give 1/4 teaspoon mixed in wet food for maintenance

My kitties refused the expensive animal paste version Enysil-F
Amd refused the treats - so I went with human grade pure
There a few good brands other use too
Your local health store should carry pure l-lysine powder with no additives

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 17

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Nicolemorgan , I use the Now brand 100% l-lysine sold at health stores or Amazon
I like it bcz it doesn't have extra stuff in it like so,e on the market for kitties
Just be sure to read the ingredients as 100% pure

I give 1/4 teaspoon mixed in wet food for maintenance

My kitties refused the expensive animal paste version Enysil-F
Amd refused the treats - so I went with human grade pure
There a few good brands other use too
Your local health store should carry pure l-lysine powder with no additives

Thank you for the information and visual @Yoda mom.
I'm going to check out a health food store in our area within the next couple of days to look for some pure lysine.
I'd like to be able to pick it up in person if possible.
:)

oliveandalex

Lairian

Thank you for the information and visual @Yoda mom.
I'm going to check out a health food store in our area within the next couple of days to look for some pure lysine.
I'd like to be able to pick it up in person if possible.
:)

Let me know if you find it - I've been looking too! My breeder said that the vet would have it but I'm determined to find a cheaper option!

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Let me know if you find it - I've been looking too! My breeder said that the vet would have it but I'm determined to find a cheaper option!

I'll let you know for sure @oliveandalex :)
Hoping to try a health food store by us in the next couple days. And was also going to ask my vet their cost to bring it in for us. Our vet is usually really reasonable with pricing. Treats, etc. are always cheaper at our vet than any pet store.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
What is the L Lysine for?

@markywmurray L-Lysine is used to treat upper respiratory problems or feline herpes. Not only can it improve their upper respiratory infection (URI) symptoms, but also inflammation of the eyes and conjunctivitis (eye discharge) caused by feline herpes.

Most cats have feline herpes by the way. It isn't contagious to human or dogs, etc.

L-Lysine is an immune booster.

Your vet would have this. It's L-Lysine for cats (a powder that gets sprinkled on top of their food).
This is the one I use and many other members use this one as well:

upload_2016-4-30_17-33-30.jpeg

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi there! I'm in Canada and I just use the human grade L-lysine (NOW brand that @Yoda mom mentioned above). It's inexpensive, and comes in convenient 500 mg capsules. I give 250-500 mg twice per day. You can buy at vitamin stores, on line, etc.

Cheers, my fellow Canucks!

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks @Xandria Do you mind if I ask how much it is for the human grade? We found the one @GoldHazel mentioned in her post, at a pet pharmacy yesterday and it was $31. We picked it up.
So just curious about the pricing difference.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Oh thank you SO much @Xandria! I definitely think that is a better deal that the stuff we got specifically for animals.
Have you ordered from this particular site before?

Oh yes. They're local to me and their service is great. I get my own vitamins and those for Max & Min from them.

Personally, I think L-Lysine for pets is a bit of a cash grab, but that's just my opinion. While I don't cheapen out on food and supplements for myself or my nakeds, I believe in obtaining the best quality period for the best price.

Hugs.

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Oh yes. They're local to me and their service is great. I get my own vitamins and those for Max & Min from them.

Personally, I think L-Lysine for pets is a bit of a cash grab, but that's just my opinion. While I don't cheapen out on food and supplements for myself or my nakeds, I believe in obtaining the best quality period for the best price.

Hugs.

Great!! :) Thank you for letting me know @Xandria !!
I will order from them for sure once we finish our current Lysine.

With the capsules, do you just break it open over their food?
Sorry for all the questions.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Great!! :) Thank you for letting me know @Xandria !!
I will order from them for sure once we finish our current Lysine.

With the capsules, do you just break it open over their food?
Sorry for all the questions.

Never apologize for asking questions :)

Yes, I just open the capsule over the food and dump it all in or about half, and stick the capsules back together for next feeding. Easy peasy. HUGS.

Back