Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Language Translator

Do you use the language translator we offer on the home page?

• yes

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • no

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Im just wondering if we can get feedback on our Language translator on the home page of Sphynxlair and if any one uses it and if it works. I know we have members from many different countries so any feedback would be helpful! We are always trying to improve the site:Laugh:

Picture4-1.png

susi794

Staff member
I think it's a great addition....sometimes the translations are a little weird, due to idiomatic speech and slang that people use--but it makes the site accessible to a lot more people than would be able to use it without it.

Elisabet

Lairian
Maybe its because danish is such a difficult language where a lot of words have more then one meaning. But I wouldnt use it. It makes things more difficult to understand. For example made it sphynxtales into sphynxtailes. I would say that there is a huge difference. :LOL:

susi794

Staff member
Maybe its because danish is such a difficult language where a lot of words have more then one meaning. But I wouldnt use it. It makes things more difficult to understand. For example made it sphynxtales into sphynxtailes. I would say that there is a huge difference. :LOL:

:Study::Study:That's probably true--as with English many words have more than one meaning. But if you came and posted a message in Danish--most of us wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about. The translator may be wrong on several of the words, but it gives us the general idea of what someone is trying to communicate. Also, as a poster that needs to rely on the translator, I would hope the poster would make every attempt to write using simple sentences and no slang, so that it might be as close to what he/she means as possible. For example, if I want to say that something is "cool"--as an English speaker I should know that the translator will translate that as being cold or chilly--so if I want to say that something is popular or fashionable or exciting--I should use those words instead. I would assume that everyone's language offers similar opportunites in word choice. I still think the translator is a good idea.:Study::Study:

Elisabet

Lairian
We use cool in danish. :) I think we have stolen some of your profanity as well.
But as I said I have just tried the translater, and it doesnt translate a lot of the words.
I am going to write the translation of the thread: Feel so awfull...Atleast I'm home with the cats!
This is the translation:

Føler mig så awfull ... atleast jeg hjem med katte!

As you can see, some of the words are still the same, even though we have words for them in Danish.

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
To be honest I never even noticed it, I always just sort of ignored it when someone spoke a different language:( How does it work?

susi794

Staff member
We use cool in danish. :) I think we have stolen some of your profanity as well.
But as I said I have just tried the translater, and it doesnt translate a lot of the words.
I am going to write the translation of the thread: Feel so awfull...Atleast I'm home with the cats!
This is the translation:

Føler mig så awfull ... atleast jeg hjem med katte!

As you can see, some of the words are still the same, even though we have words for them in Danish.

But the sentence you translated isn't spelled properly--awful is spelled with one l and this sentence uses two. And this sentence uses Atleast without a space between the words at and least, so the translator doesn't recognize it as there is no such English word as awfull and Atleast. Granted that doesn't help people that don't know our language.

susi794

Staff member
But the sentence you translated isn't spelled properly--awful is spelled with one l and this sentence uses two. And this sentence uses Atleast without a space between the words at and least, so the translator doesn't recognize it as there is no such English word as awfull and Atleast. Granted that doesn't help people that don't know our language.

Is this correct?
Beføle skrækkelig - det vil sige Jeg er hjem hos den katte!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I guess if its better then nothing and the opportunity is available to have users from other countries to enjoy the site, Ill live with it! LoL:Shok:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
To be honest I never even noticed it, I always just sort of ignored it when someone spoke a different language:( How does it work?
When you click your country flag on the top of the home page, it translates the site to that particular language. Try it it's really cool, just click the British flag to go back to english! (I think it's the British flag?)

Elisabet

Lairian
[Quote \u003d admin; 15.240] Når du klikker på dit lands flag på toppen af hjemmesiden, den oversætter webstedet til, at bestemte sprog. Prøv det det er virkelig cool, skal du blot klikke på det britiske flag for at gå tilbage til engelsk! (Jeg tror det er det britiske flag?) [/ QUOTE]

You can also delete some of the url: In my case it would be this: &language=da

Just delete from &language and it will go back to normal.

Olemam

Lairian
I am excited by the translator, as I unfortunately never learned English and here is the only way to learn about the Sphynx little bit more.:ThumbsUp:

Olemam

Lairian
Yes, I use this one, sometimes the sentences are a bit twisted, but the latest on the answers then I know what it is.

Back