Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Laulau may have IBD and has a slight heart murmur!!!

Laulau

Lairian
We took laulau to the vet today for his annual and to also adr3ss his on going diarrhea issues....the doctor Checked his heart a heard a slight heart murmur!!! Which made me sooo sad but he said it's nothing to worry too much about and to just keep checking it when he comes in but I'm still very worried about it....he also said he may have IBD and that's why he still is having diarrhea and is so skinny. It broke my heart but he gave us some medication for it and said to call in a week and let him know if anything has changed and if not then will need to do further testing, I really hope it is ONE and not some sort of cancer!!! Ahhh I don't even want to think like that!! He's my everything and I can't stand the thought of losing him. I'm glad I found a vet that actually seems like he knows what he's doing the last two vets did not hear his heart murmur. Has anyone had their lil loves Have IBD?? Laulau is almost 2years

Attachments

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Fingers crossed the meds will work and make the diarrhea stop. Can imagine it's worries you that the vet heard a heartmurmur. I don't know much about heartmurmurs so hope others with more knowledge about this chime in.
Sending healing vibes to Laulau

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Laulau head smooches n hugs . I remember all to well the shocking news when I was I moved the vets murmur and the vet looked up and told me about the murmurs heard .
She even let me listen to my boys grade 3 murmur when we were discussing murmurs .

Glad you have a good vet - I am sure they may have told you that sometimes they can have stress related murmurs during vet visit that is not always heard on subsequent visits /monitoring -
kittens can have “ ghost murmurs “ that disappear in recheck too
So all paws crossed on rechecks .

There are many of us that kitties with heart murmurs - I have a 6 yr old with a heart murmur with a grade 1 murmur .
My 8 year old has a grade 3 murmur . My vet and I is monitoring and did not put on meds .
They have no idea they have a murmur and are active and no signs presenting .

We have many kitties that have lived long into double digits lives with a murmur and no issues -

Follow your vets professional advice .

As for IBD , dealt with it with my adoptee Bengal . Lost weight , diarrhea etc -
After numerous food trials ( it can take up to 12 plus weeks to know if a food works)

I switched her to what I am feeding my sphynx -
Nutrisource cat and kitten food in the blue bag - no recalls and advertised for gut health -
Macie gained her weight back, fur like a fur coat now amd absolutely no poo issues anymore -
She is like a new cat!

My sphynx have no more diarrhea and no skin issues on Nutrisource -
I can feed and go with my whole crew finally - no added probiotics or meds

Not all foods work for each kitty but wanted to share after dealing with IBD for nearly two years with my Bengal . My Sphynx were switched from Acana to Nutrisource .

All paws crossed !
Following closely for updates

Head smooches and positive vibes! Here for you !

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Laulau here is info on ProBNP test that Patti shared
I had no idea about the test - my first vet never mentioned

You can ask if at some point it would be beneficial

Just to share the food that works amazing with my IBD kitty
She and my Sphynx has been on it for nearly 3 years now
I order online K9Cuisine bcz big box stores do not stock it .
Some smaller stores may be able lto order it . There is a store locator search box.

Hugs n head smooches!
All paws crossed for good news uodstes!

Attachments

Last edited:

Laulau

Lairian
@Laulau here is info on ProBNP test that Patti shared
I had no idea about the test - my first vet never mentioned

You can ask if at some point it would be beneficial

Just to share the food that works amazing with my IBD kitty
She and my Sphynx has been on it for nearly 3 years now
I order online K9Cuisine bcz big box stores do not stock it .
Some smaller stores may be able lto order it . There is a store locator search box.

Hugs n head smooches!
All paws crossed for good news uodstes!
Awesome thank you so much!! Both my lil mans are on the z/d wich I never been fond of for sum reason, it did make laulau rash go away by his armpit ..... I'll have to try it, nervous tho cuz I just don't know what his allergy is, I hear alot are allergic to chicken, have your babies ever been on the hills science z/d ?

Laulau

Lairian
@Laulau head smooches n hugs . I remember all to well the shocking news when I was I moved the vets murmur and the vet looked up and told me about the murmurs heard .
She even let me listen to my boys grade 3 murmur when we were discussing murmurs .

Glad you have a good vet - I am sure they may have told you that sometimes they can have stress related murmurs during vet visit that is not always heard on subsequent visits /monitoring -
kittens can have “ ghost murmurs “ that disappear in recheck too
So all paws crossed on rechecks .

There are many of us that kitties with heart murmurs - I have a 6 yr old with a heart murmur with a grade 1 murmur .
My 8 year old has a grade 3 murmur . My vet and I is monitoring and did not put on meds .
They have no idea they have a murmur and are active and no signs presenting .

We have many kitties that have lived long into double digits lives with a murmur and no issues -

Follow your vets professional advice .

As for IBD , dealt with it with my adoptee Bengal . Lost weight , diarrhea etc -
After numerous food trials ( it can take up to 12 plus weeks to know if a food works)

I switched her to what I am feeding my sphynx -
Nutrisource cat and kitten food in the blue bag - no recalls and advertised for gut health -
Macie gained her weight back, fur like a fur coat now amd absolutely no poo issues anymore -
She is like a new cat!

My sphynx have no more diarrhea and no skin issues on Nutrisource -
I can feed and go with my whole crew finally - no added probiotics or meds

Not all foods work for each kitty but wanted to share after dealing with IBD for nearly two years with my Bengal . My Sphynx were switched from Acana to Nutrisource .

All paws crossed !
Following closely for updates

Head smooches and positive vibes! Here for you !
Thank you!!! Very interesting sounds like the nutrisource is good option, laulau has been on the z/d for awhile now I started adding pumpkin to it and that seemed to help a little bit, but still has diarrhea, sometimes he'll have good poops, ill have to try it....my doc gave me some meds for 7days,..do you think I should start the meds then introduce the new food or? I really don't want him to have to take meds all his life......was ur baby on meds before you switched his food?

Yoda mom

Staff member
Always follow your vets instructions .
What meds were prescribed?

when introducing new food go super slow with mixing it in to transition .
I went bonkers with my girl’s IBD I felt soo bad for her .

I took 2 weeks to transition food
The norm is add 1/4 etc
But I went with very little of the new food added to existing food .
I put just a few pieces of new food on top of the old food (Halo sensitive )
for several days and worked up from there.
I saw results in a matter of couple of weeks . By the time she transitioned she was solid poop.
No more vomiting either. She was not on medication .

Just to add ...I found to to get my dry food addicts to drink more water ( they hated fountains ) I put a large water bowl away from their food dishes - they stand and wait like it’s a watering hole for me to freshen it a few times a day .
Interestingly with both my kitties and dogs they do better in a quality grain inclusive kibble .

She gained her weight back in a few months .
All paws crossed for sweet Laulau

Surely others will chime in
They may recommed a raw diet . Some members use “ better in the raw “ with good results .

Positive vibes for good news uodstes!

Last edited:

Laulau

Lairian
Always follow your vets instructions .
Waht meds were prescribed?

when introducing new food go super slow with mixing it in to transition .
I went bonkers with my girl’s IBD I felt soo bad for her .

I took 2 weeks to transition food
The norm is add 1/4 etc
But I went with very little of the new food added to existing food .
I put just a few pieces of new food on top of the old food (Halo sensitive )
for several days and worked up from there.
I saw results in a matter of couple of weeks . By the time she transitioned she was solid poop.
No more vomiting either. She was not on medication .
Interestingly with both my kitties and dogs they do better in a quality grain inclusive kibble .

She gained her weight back in a few months .
All paws crossed for sweet Laulau

Surely others will chime in
Positve vibes !
Thank you! Laulau has always been very skinny....the pumpkin really seems to help but, he will still have diahreah at least once a week... guess I'll just do the meds and then go from. There...i love you guys so much I be lost without this amazing site!! For awhile there I couldn't find it like it randomly disappeared from the internet glad it's back!!!

Yoda mom

Staff member
We all come together with our experiences to share
That can be discussed with your vet - you are never alone
With this fun friendly bunch ! We get it

I also do not give any packaged treats or people food
I use kibble in a jar
I use Hill’s Urinary hairball formula kibble as treats for the rest of my crew .
I read hairball formulas can help with poo issues I believe it’s the fiber in it
Lol they run for it when they hear the lid open

Does Laulau get any treats or people food?

Laulau

Lairian
No treats and no ppl food sometimes he'll snag a peice and run away and gobble it down before we can catch him ... will give him sardines on occasion which seems to help and sometimes a lil bit of avocado but that's not very often...the avo and sardines seem to help when he does havr them

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Molly has IBD, she was diagnosed young by ultrasound. I am guessing they put yours on prednisolone to reduce the inflammation? Our vet took the same approach, try the meds and if it doesn't work it *may* be lymphoma.

We have had our 2 sphynx on raw now for their whole lives and it is all I will feed them. Molly gets a whole ground chicken patty mixed with some grain free canned food 3x a day. I have managed to keep her free from meds for a few years now just managing it with her diet, with herbs and probiotics as needed. Molly just turned 7 this year and is healthy and doing well.

The Facebook group "Raw Feeding for IBD Cats" was the biggest help I could have found. There is also a web site that explains it all really well My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

Laulau

Lairian
They prescribed him metronidazole 1 cap twice a day...i hate giving it to him its only been day two.... laulau use to have a skin rash and started vomiting alot and he was on the food the breeder always had him and the other kitties on (royal cannine) but then after awhile was vomiting alot so the vet put him on the z/d both the can and kibble...he stopped throwing up and his rash went away on his armpit but still would have on off diarrhea then started adding pumpkin and it got a little better but still...so now they suggested the pills....i would like to try the raw, I'm nervous tho cuz I don't know what sits well with him like chicken or turkey ect ect but I will read more about it because I really wanna try it and feel like he would LOVE it...he gobbles sardines when we give him them and is always wanting our food, my other one kahiki likes the sardines but not as much as laulau ...what kind of herbs and probiotics do you use

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh wow this sounds familiar.

So about the murmur

I adopted Henry a few months ago. He's 6 years old. I took him to my vet and he had a slight heart murmur that had previously been undetected. On the vet's recommendation I had him do an x-ray and the proBNP blood test. The x-ray showed the heart was a little bit enlarged, which explains why there's a heart murmur. When the heart enlarges the cartilage stretches and protein leaks out, so what the proBNP test measures is the level of protein in the blood. Henry's proBNP test showed that the amount of protein was in the normal range, despite the fact of the enlarged heart. So after that, the vet said we need to monitor him but didn't need to do an echo at this point.

About the diarrhea

Henry also had soft poo (his whole life according to his prior owner). His food had to be a certain brand or else he would have full blown diarrhea. He was on mostly kibble with a little bit of canned food. I transitioned him to raw food and now he goes solid. I don't even have to add probiotics. His poo stopped being smelly too.

Laulau

Lairian
Oh wow this sounds familiar.

So about the murmur

I adopted Henry a few months ago. He's 6 years old. I took him to my vet and he had a slight heart murmur that had previously been undetected. On the vet's recommendation I had him do an x-ray and the proBNP blood test. The x-ray showed the heart was a little bit enlarged, which explains why there's a heart murmur. When the heart enlarges the cartilage stretches and protein leaks out, so what the proBNP test measures is the level of protein in the blood. Henry's proBNP test showed that the amount of protein was in the normal range, despite the fact of the enlarged heart. So after that, the vet said we need to monitor him but didn't need to do an echo at this point.

About the diarrhea

Henry also had soft poo (his whole life according to his prior owner). His food had to be a certain brand or else he would have full blown diarrhea. He was on mostly kibble with a little bit of canned food. I transitioned him to raw food and now he goes solid. I don't even have to add probiotics. His poo stopped being smelly too.
Thank you! I will definitely get those rest I don't know why they didn't mention these...and I'll be switching to raw seems like it's helped alot of IBD guys!

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Haha aww they must love it....what kind of probiotics and herbs do you give them?
Hi - no probiotics or herbs. Just the meat and Alnutrin (supplement). Chicken, turkey, rabbit and herring. Herring is for omega 3 which is recommended for heart disease btw. You can give either herring or sardines for omega 3.

Attachments

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Haha aww they must love it....what kind of probiotics and herbs do you give them?
We use Slippery Elm Bark (SEB) for nausea and vomiting and S. Boulardii as a probiotic for diarrhea relief. She has been fine for a long time now. When she does have a flare up, it's usually because she ate something she shouldn't have (like a different treat or her brother's food). She will be fine again within 24 - 48 hours after I give her the stuff. There is lots of info on those 2 things on the link My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?