Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Laying on the babies!

MELODIEROCK

Lairian
Does Anyone have the problem of their female mommy laying on her new borns? This is the second female I've had and I'm always having to keep an eye out for a kitten getting suficated underneath mommy. I've lost about three kittens from this. Any sugetions?

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yikes! I hope some of the breeders here have some good advice for you. It must be hard to keep such a close eye on your mommas, not to mention heartbreaking when a kitten dies. Good luck.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That is how I got Goody Girl. The breeder took her out of the program after her first litter because she laid on the kittens.

MELODIEROCK

Lairian
Well keep your eyes open. You may see Thai up for grabs soon. lol I'm keeping her separated from the baby now and only letting him nurse every hr and every 2 hrs at night. This is her first litter but my old one would do this too.

susi794

Staff member
I have never had this problem--my kits have always been strong enough to crawl out from underneath, or put up such a stink that mama moves once she realizes she was on one. I have never heard of this being a problem--are you sure that's what they died from?

Bella07

Banned
Oh no I am so sorry. I once was about to put a deposit on a puppy, and the breeder called me saying the puppy had been killed because the mommy had laid on her.....:Cry: Sounds like you are doing the right thing from keeping them seperated from now. In a week or two, when the kitten is stronger, hopefully you can put them together again.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Not once have I had a Queen do this to a kitten, BUT it does happen. In cats and dogs... I keep a very close eye on newborn litters and simply move them out from under Mom if there looks like trouble brewing, but I wouldn't separate from Mom.

Back