Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Leaky watery eyes

Janusz

Lairian
Hi y’all,

I have a question and am hoping someone else has experienced this...selfishly, so they can lend some advice. :)

My Mooshka LaRue has unusually leaky eyes. Always tearing up and I find myself wiping her face like 5 times a day. She has been this way since we adopted her 5 months ago. I am wondering if it may be allergies or perhaps there is an eye drop that one can recommend. Any advice is always greatly appreciated.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps give L-Lysine a try.
98c4636f1ec4113c8ac9f59e6a1d3284.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Janusz hugs n head smooches

Do you use a scented litter maybe sensitive to? Scented fabric softeners or detergent ?
I would give Linda a jingle for her expertise :)

Following for updates

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Just for clarity - lysine works for some cats with the herpesvirus, which causes eye discharge. However there are other things that cause eye discharge that lysine wouldn't have any effect on. Also, not all cats with herpesvirus show improvement with lysine. It's worth a shot, but to make sure there isn't anything else going on it's a good idea to let a vet have a look, especially if it's constant.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@oilyanimalhuman welcome! Joe you ca masher a pic of your baby
Look forward to pics and tales !

Great advice by @Condo commando
*****Always best to vet check for early intervention if something going on .

There are varied results of l-Lysine depending on individual kitties .
There are recent studies as well about effectiveness .

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
Hi! Thank you Yoda mom! and thank you for the replies! We have been to the vet multiple times and done eye tests and everything is fine. I think he may have been born with it ?? As he's had it since we got him. It's not extreme, it's just something he has always had. It used to be red water only on his left eye but now it's just clear water more so on the left eye, but sometimes on the right. We've had two lots of drops for his eye but it doesn't seem to go away. If there is any advice you may have or natural solutions would be appreciated! Thank you again.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Seriously doubt he was born with it. But he acquired it early on. This happens in catteries because kittens become exposed prior to being vaccinated.

Natural remedies and some foods to avoid.

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
Seriously doubt he was born with it. But he acquired it early on. This happens in catteries because kittens become exposed prior to being vaccinated.

Natural remedies and some foods to avoid.
Thank you for the link!

Janusz

Lairian
@Janusz checking in for updates
Hugs n positive vibes

Hello!
So, for some unknown reason, I am no longer getting notified through email when I have a message. ‍♀️

Anyhoot, Mooshka’s eyes seem to be less leaky, however, as of today, we are dealing with a new issue. My kitties all eat Stella and Chewy and I was previously having a loose stool issue (which we talked about) when they were having a kibble midday, so I tried transitioning them to Orijen fish kibble over a two week period. Well, that did not agree with Janusz. I decided to stop the kibble altogether and just give the S&C duck. Everything had been great with the exception of my bank account! Then, after reading the great reviews on here about “Better In the Raw,” I decided to give that to them slowly. Everything seemed great for first 4 days and now Mooshka cannot keep her food down. Also, during this time, I started everybody on a dental water additive. I am hoping just too much change at one time. I am hoping she did not get salmonella or e.coli or anything like that from the raw chicken. What I found odd was that she first vomited with an hour of drinking the water with the additive (only bile) and I thought at the time she was hungry bc it was lunchtime. I fed her like an hour later but within 15-20 minutes, she barfed it all up.

I waited another 1/2 hour and gave her just the S&C (thinking maybe the new BITR was just too cold) and she vomited that up as well within an hour. I am worried. I have a call into vet.

She is acting normal otherwise. These kids!!!!

Janusz

Lairian
Hello!
So, for some unknown reason, I am no longer getting notified through email when I have a message. ‍

Anyhoot, Mooshka’s eyes seem to be less leaky, however, as of today, we are dealing with a new issue. My kitties all eat Stella and Chewy and I was previously having a loose stool issue (which we talked about) when they were having a kibble midday, so I tried transitioning them to Orijen fish kibble over a two week period. Well, that did not agree with Janusz. I decided to stop the kibble altogether and just give the S&C duck. Everything had been great with the exception of my bank account! Then, after reading the great reviews on here about “Better In the Raw,” I decided to give that to them slowly. Everything seemed great for first 4 days and now Mooshka cannot keep her food down. Also, during this time, I started everybody on a dental water additive. I am hoping just too much change at one time. I am hoping she did not get salmonella or e.coli or anything like that from the raw chicken. What I found odd was that she first vomited with an hour of drinking the water with the additive (only bile) and I thought at the time she was hungry bc it was lunchtime. I fed her like an hour later but within 15-20 minutes, she barfed it all up.

I waited another 1/2 hour and gave her just the S&C (thinking maybe the new BITR was just too cold) and she vomited that up as well within an hour. I am worried. I have a call into vet.

She is acting normal otherwise. These kids!!!!

I just talked to vet office. They said to just watch her and give her a tiny bit of food later. If she stops wanting to eat and does not drink, to bring her in. The thing is, my cats do not drink all too often as they eat raw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Janusz oh my positive vibes your way! Hmmm wonder I’d tou are not getting jsut the untwgged messages?
Keep an eye on it and let me know

I remember USER=13063]@Duglynukem[/USER] mentioned S&C didn’t work for sensitive tummy Cleo . Not sure if it was the duck ... I think @NinaGato fed the rabbit s&c

Astrid kitty another members kitty got a rash :(

Are you going to stay with the BITR ? I know @Xandria has experience with BITR with her two

I gave up on raw ..last week I eve tried a chicken neck as a treat..l no go..l they ran away in disgust !

Sticking with Nutrisource prized for gut health and no recalls . Works for my nakids and an IBD Bengal .

I am crossing all paws for good news updates !

They certainly keep us on our toes !

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awhhh poor baby ...
I know they worry us to pieces sometimes ... wish they could talk!
Did the vet mention withholding food overnight to reset her tummy?

The turgor test is here is helpful
I also try to check gums if they are sticky dry tacky which can’t be a sign of dehydration

Sometimes my Yoda feels very hot , usually after a long nap in blankies, other times his whole body feels cooler when he is prowling around ...

For peace of mind I would follow up with a call to the vet
She may have an upset tummy tonite and feel better tomorrow
Hugs n positives thoughts and Head smooches

Janusz

Lairian
Her skin snaps back. The vet told me to give her a very small amount tonight and see how that goes. She may have vomited bile earlier because her tummy empty.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Oh that’s good it bounces back :)
It’s the first thing I check when I am a worried mum

Been Thru this with my Bengal ..usually within 24 hours she improved

The only recall I saw for Purdue chicken was in June 2019 the ready cooked nugget type products.

Maybe the S&C doesn’t agree with her ? If she is throwing up S&C I would call the company ask ask if they have any recent complaints

( Just to share ..l I did once with halo sensitive cat food , I was the first to call,,, they had never had a recall .. then They admitted to a”handful” of complaints after I called ...from the same batch so they did a soft quiet recall of one batch .

Which are you giving her a little bit of tonite?

Hopeful by the Morning she willing be feeling 100%

Last edited:

Janusz

Lairian
That’s the question...do I give a little S&C or the BITR? I was in the process of switching them over. I was up to 18 freeze dried nuggets of S&C and probably two tablespoons of the BITR. I am sooo confused as to what to do as far as feeding her a little tonight. As an aside, all 3 kitties have been eating the same bag of S&C for the past 3-4 days.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Fresh Purdue ground chicken. She just threw up bile just now. She feels warmer than usual, but the tips of her ears are still chilly. I am concerned.
Raw meat should come frozen. Once meat starts getting close to 40 degrees it starts to grow bacteria. Ground meat is especially bad because who knows what the grinder was used for that it came into contact with. Just buy frozen if you're going to feed raw. Try Hare Today for example. I would not feed the that batch of meat again.

Back