Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Leash/walk training

Tale Grude

Lairian
Hi everyone!

I have gotten Kisa used to the leash a good while ago. And have brought her out on several occasions to take hee for walks. But the thing is, even though she's been outside several times. She still meow the whole time. So I'm thinking maybe she is a bit scared? But she also seems to want to explore. I haven't had her out A LOT, so this might just be a thing that happens while we're still in the learning/getting used to phase.

So I was wondering if anyone who walks their Sphynx on a leahs, could share their experiences of how it was in the beginning?

Cause I'm thinking, maybe she doesn't like it? It never seems like she's wanted to go outside. She seems perfectly content staying inside. She doesn't really seem to enjoy it much. Maybe it's not for her?

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My older boy has no interest in going out he will cry and cry and desperately try get back in do have stopped trying with him I see no value to him in stressing him out. Riley at first cried a little but you could see he was curious he is slowly getting use to it and enjoying it. Trick is let your baby do it at he pace if she ends up enjoying it great if not great but let her do it at her pace :) if you force the pace she may end up not liking it in the end

KaiRo

Lairian
I have the opposite problem...ever since I took Kairo outside that's all he wants to do now. At first when I took him out he just sat in one spot and looked around. Now he tends to explore and doesn't want to come in the house . I almost wish I had never taken him out. All he does now is sit at the back door and window and meow, meow , meow...he WONT STOP....so I think you are lucky that your baby doesn't enjoy it....If u try to take him out again and it seems like she doesn't enjoy it , I wouldn't take her out anymore....:)

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
  1. It sounds to me like Kisa is just telling you all about her adventures outside. We train all our cats to harness and leash, and Cleo is one of the only 2 that love to go out. Our B.J. (black dsh that died in 2005) loved to go places and walk on her leash, and Cleo is the same way. Cleo also talks a LOT when she goes for walks with us. She chatters at bugs and birds, meows when she wants to walk and when she wants to get in her stroller, and just in general tells about her walk. She also swishes her tail high over her back when she's happy. My recommendation (IMHO) is that you take her out at least once a day if possible and give her lots of positive reinforcement in the form of praise and even treats. There is another member here, @Nofuratu , who has their cats actually jog along with them. They use an interactive toy to teach the cat to walk on the leash. But, as @Lickleone says, if she is obviously stressed, fighting going out and sitting at the door pleading to go back inside, then you need to listen to that also.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm glad somebody brought this up. I have a really outgoing Sphynx that likes to dart outside when I open the door. It's an enclosed hallway so not dangerous, but the problem is the cats are not allowed anywhere except in my own condo. Obviously I don't want any trouble. In addition to that she bounces off the walls with excess energy and keeps me up some nights.

So, I went out and got a harness & leash to take her for a walk.....only then she wouldn't move! Her personality totally changed. I'm sure it's the harness & leash effect but what am I supposed to do - it's not like I can let her out loose. Anybody experienced this before?

The next question is even if I can get her used to a leash, where do you take your cat that's safe for them (no dogs, sun, heat)?

Last edited:

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm glad somebody brought this up. I have a really outgoing Sphynx that likes to dart outside when I open the door. It's an enclosed hallway so not dangerous, but the problem is the cats are not allowed anywhere except in the owner's condo. Obviously I don't want any trouble. In addition to that she bounces off the walls with excess energy and keeps me up some nights.

So, I went out and got a harness & leash to take her for a walk.....only then she wouldn't move! Her personality totally changed. I'm sure it's the harness & leash effect but what am I supposed to do - it's not like I can let her out loose. Anybody experienced this before?

The next question is even if I can get her used to a leash, where do you take your cat that's safe for them (no dogs, sun, heat)?
First, keep working with the harness only first. Give treats and play until your baby gets used to the harness. Then add the leash and get her used to it. We also have a stroller that is Cleo's safe spot when we are out--she always knows she can get into it. As far as going places, I have found that lots of stores that don't sell food will allow your cat, as long as you have her under control. I always ask and honor the reply if it is no! We also take her to Petsmart and to the park from time to time. Don't be afraid of the sun; just watch her time exposure. My husband is always with us to chase any loose dogs away, but I watch leashed dogs and keep them away from her.

As far as your cat trying to get out, we found that putting a table or shelf next to the door gives Cleo a place to see us when we come in, and we can control her impulses to get out better. When she has gotten loose out the front door (3 times!) I have gotten her favorite treats and followed her CALMLY, talking to her and getting her attention with the treats. Because she goes out with us, she has never panicked, but I have been able to get her by not spooking her and offering treats. Good luck to you!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Cleopatra Beers - thanks and I will try just the harness for a while. I guess you're saying that no matter what I would need a stroller?

FWIW with the hallway being enclosed I don't have a heart attack if she runs out.....but it's against the condo rules.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Cleopatra Beers - thanks and I will try just the harness for a while. I guess you're saying that no matter what I would need a stroller?

FWIW with the hallway being enclosed I don't have a heart attack if she runs out.....but it's against the condo rules.
I'm sorry if I gave you that impression--you certainly do not need a stroller. We started taking Cleo out on errands and shopping trips to places as diverse as Men's Wearhouse and Pier One when she was about 4 months old. We didn't get the stroller until she was a year old. Before the stroller, we used a soft-sided carrier with a shoulder strap. That way, she could have a place I could control her better, but I could still put her down on the floor if it was safe for her and okay by the people in the store. But now Cleo weighs between 12 and 14 pounds (she's a really large lady!) and I have a very bad back and use a cane due to MS. So the stroller has been a Godsend for us. I do not have to carry her and she uses it as her "safe spot."

@Cleopatra Beeers - one more question please :) If you take Cleo to a place she's never been before, do you just set her down on the ground and lead her?
When we go to a new place, we first ask permission if it is necessary, and then we check the place out. Most of the time, Cleo is in the stroller and she scopes out the place and decides if she wants to get out or not. Often, especially if we are at our favorite pet-friendly outdoor shopping mall, Cleo will get out of the stroller and lead us into a place--especially if it is a place she has been to before. For some reason, she likes to explore Anthropologie and Pottery Barn! She will lead Bob into those stores and investigate until we have to pick her up and take her out. I think she is telling us that she doesn't like our home decor! Leading her is also difficult. Like most cats, she wants to go where SHE wants, not necessarily where WE want to go. So be prepared to work patiently with a cat that might want to roll on the sidewalk rather than walk! And we are always on the lookout for loose dogs and children who might run at her. We only allow people to pet her when she is in the stroller and when she tolerates it. If she doesn't like petting or dogs are upsetting her (we don't have a dog), then we politely and calmly leave. But do not give lots of petting or attention to your cat if she is upset by a person or animal that is not interacting with her, because it will make her think that is the proper thing to do. Instead, we calmly move away a bit and interact calmly with her until she sees that she isn't in danger. It has taken some effort, but we do have a cat who can go with us and have fun. Sorry for the loooong post!

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ive give up on walking Blue, he hated his harness, froze with the lead & will not cross the front door even if were sat out there, hes set his own boundaries & its proberbly the best thing all round that hes chose to be an indoor cat, obviously i would never leave the fromt door or window open unattended as hes took a real shine to chattering & chasing flys & i wouldnt want him to stray away because hes over excited at a blue-bottle !!! I desperatley wanted a cat stroller but if blue wants to stay indoors then thats fine by me, whatever makes my little mate happy ;) xxx

Joleen

Lairian
I walk our babies, I let them first walk around the house with the different types of harnesses for a few days to get them used to it and see what is most comfortable for them,they are all different.
When they're used to the harness I let them walk around with it on and the leash attached to them so they just drag it around.
Than I use a retractable leash and have it loose on the ground and just open the door and let them go out on their own pace never pick them up and place them outside that will stress them out way too much.
We also let them out in our fenced yard when it's nice out so they're pretty used to the outdoors.
That being said don't expect to go too far or for the cat to walk side by side with you like a dog. It has to be on their terms and it's more to let them explore a little more, neutered and spayed cat's will not roam too far off their territory but they enjoy even just going outside and sniffing some flowers and seeing some birds. Don't do it to leash train her do it so she can enjoy it and if she doesn't enjoy it you can't make her.. just give it time and do it on her terms! :)

Joleen

Lairian
as far as harnesses, it really depends these are my go to harnesses most cats will usually be good with either or..

some like just the plain old dog harness they like it I think because they feel less restrained.
Dog-Harness.jpg

most of mine like this kind that can be found at walmart in the cat section, this is my eliots favorite:
076484630316C.jpg

there is also the ferret harness but I find it makes them walk like a ferret.. and the cat harness that goes under their armpits I think its weird and dangerous

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Cleo likes her mesh harness--like the pink one above, and she also really likes her winter dress harness. I am going to make her a Hawaiian shirt harness this summer.
image.jpg

If you get your cat a harness like this, be sure it has secure closures. I use velcro and pet harness clips to keep her securely dressed when we go out.

pashtcat

Lairian
I think it depends on the cat, but I've had great success in walking my cats. I had a Siamese boy who loved walkies, and now my Siamese female also will walk. However, Puddz is my star walker. I started him out early with a velcro chest harness, and allowed him to interact and play with it first. When I took him outside, I let him explore at his own pace, and followed behind. Now, we will walk together for a block or so, and I am able to use gentle tugs if he gets stalled. Usually after a few minutes, I pick him up (I know, I've been suckered...) and walk with him until he wants to walk again. He trots alongside at a good pace, and I love the looks people give when they realize it's a nekkid cat on the leash. I also take him out during evening to reduce the amount of sun exposure. Also, make sure that they know where the door is just in case they get away.

...I plan to buy him a spiked harness, just for laughs. Good luck to all who are training their babies to walk!

Back