Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Leaving my baby for the first time!

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm leaving my baby for 7 days! :Sweat::Cry:

I'm going on my first vacation since getting Sophie last Oct. I'm leaving her at my mom's house which she has stayed at before overnight- but not without me. I've left her there to go shopping sometimes and she starts crying at the door for me at 5pm thinking I should be home from "work" at that time.

I'm nervous about leaving her. I know obviously she is in good hands but I hope she eats. Last week I left her there to go out with my sister and my parents fed her there but she didn't eat til we got home.

I'm going to pack all her things- the essentials and her bed. I'm going to give her some t-shirts withe my scent to have with her in her bed.

Anything else I should leave with her to make her feel comfortable? I'm very concerned. She's so very attached to me.

Thank you guys!

Bella07

Banned
Aawwww, a mommy leaving her baby for the first time! Sounds like you have everything planned out perfectly. Just give her big kisses and cuddles before you leave. And before you know it, the week will have passed, and you'll be home in no time! Good Luck and have lots of fun on your vacation!

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
leaving your babies is so hard. but she'll be ok with grandma.
we leave more often then i'd like, and "nana" stays over at our house.
some things i would recomend: her bowls, her boys, maybe ask you rmom to sleep with her (if she normally sleeps with you), also sleep with a throw blanket for the next few days so it smells like you. i think that may be a little more comfy then the shirts. my kitties LOVE throw blankets.
i ALWAYS call everday and my mom puts me on speaker phone and i chat with my kitties and they chat back! :) of course i get a little sad bc i miss them BUT it does help me feel SO much better :) (if that makes sense lol)
Enjoy your vacation! i'm sure the kitties will love to see pictures (or have a stuffed animal) when you get home :)

ckutkuhn7

Banned
awww I couldn't imagine having to leave Snuffie for 7 days. I would be so sad. I'm happy for you to go on vacation but just keep yourself busy and you'll be fine. And yes if possible call Sophia and talk to her on the phone, I think that would help. All the other advice is great as well. Goodluck and have fun!!!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Heather it sounds as if you have everything well planned out. Now you need to stop worrying. :Wink: Being apart isn't going to be easy and you will miss each other, but you both will be ok. So enjoy your vacation knowing that Sophie is safe and being spoiled at "grandma camp".

holly_savage

Banned
I know it's not what you want to hear, but your cat will be just fine I'm sure.

We left Hibou about 1 month after we got her, for 7 days and she stayed with my best friend and her grumpy old man cat and as much as I worried about her, she was just fine when we got home. And here i thought she would have at least looked like she missed us!:LOL::LOL:

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh no! I hated leaving Mo and Lola last year, I had to put them in a cattery for 3 days when it was my sisters wedding, I was so worried! But they were fine!

Sophie will be just fine I'm sure as she is at a familiar house with people she knows so it will probably be a very good experience for her! I'm sure she will miss you but you need to ENJOY YOURSELF!

Teri*D

Lairian
I left Chloe for 3 weeks, it was so hard but she was happy when I got home and everything is back to normal. I know us telling you everything will be fine doesn't ease the pain because I was the same way but hope you have fun on your vacation anyways!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Did you leave her a picture of you? That may help.:Surprise: It's worth a try!:Laugh:

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh no, it's sooo hard leaving our babies!!! I went on vacation for 10 days while the cats stayed at "Camp GrammaGrampa" last year. I missed them soooo much!! Like people said, blankets that smell like you work great. When I got home, I found out mine hadn't missed me nearly as much as I imagined. In fact it took Blue over a week before he finally purred again! He was mad to be back in a house where mom had to work 12 hours a day :Surprise: My parents had spoiled them rotten and they LOVED the adventure!!! Everything will work out great, you'll see:ThumbsUp:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you all for the support. I think it will be harder on me than her. :Sweat: It really helps to hear about your experiences and that your kitties were fine. :Smile:

Back