Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Lemmy is a little under the weather

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Please send some happy thoughts Lemmy's way. His eye is acting up again. He has had a runny, droopy eye since we got him, but today it is worse. Both eyes are running and his third eyelid is all stuck over his left eye. The poor guy probably can't see. I am taking him to the vet in about an hour. Hopefully they can help him. I will keep you updated. Thanks!

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh no, poor Lemmy! We are doing the same thing at our house right now. Vet said it's a virus first Bluto(better now), then Mr. Blackwell (better except for a gross eye) and now Beltane (lethargic -although it's hard to tell since he is 9 & 22lbs! - and sneezing his little head off):Sick:

Poor Bluto is wondering why no one wants to play!:LOL:

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well, the vet said that he has an eye infection and probably the herpes virus :( He is just lying around right now. I have some new meds to give him and we are going to continue his Lysine. I hope he feels better tomorrow. He just looks so pathetic.

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Lemmy's eye is still not seeming to be any better. I know that the Lysine can take awhile to work so I am still hopeful with that. His eye just seems so cloudy. He is acting fine otherwise. Has anyone else had this same problem?

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Snuffie has had ewey gooies on and off again problems all month. She's been on the antibiotics and eye meds, I've had her on Lysine for a little over a week now. I just keep it clean and when it oozes the green stuff I start her meds back up. She has brown gooies normally and usually only needs her eyes wiped once a day or so. Today has been a good day for her. No ewey gooies. But it just seems that she cant seem to kick it for more than a week at a time or so.

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Lemmy's eye is still not seeming to be any better. I know that the Lysine can take awhile to work so I am still hopeful with that. His eye just seems so cloudy. He is acting fine otherwise. Has anyone else had this same problem?

Mr. Blackwell is having a similar problem right now. The latest virus at our house seems to be completely gone from Bluto, Beltane is soooo snotty and his eyes are so runny - I am getting a 2nd opinion for him tomorrow. Mr. Blackwell seems to be fine other than his cloudy eye...maybe it's on the mend since it's not teary or goopy??

Brooke

Banned

Well, Nelson and I are no strangers to eye problems... can I ask what meds the vet prescribed for Lemmy and what are his symptoms? Is he squinting at all? Did the vet to a stain on the eye? Is there a lot of discharge and if so, what color/consistency is it?

You're right about the Lysine - it can take up to a month for it to take effect, but honestly, it seemed to work faster than that for my cats. What dose are you giving him? For herpes, it also helps tremendously to be on a grain-free diet. (Grains are high in the amino acid Arginine, which is essentially the "food" that the herpes virus uses to replicate).

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Brooke, he is using Terramycin ointment. It has not seemed to work. The vet did stain his eye and he said that there were no scratches or ulcers. Also, he eats Innova dry food and Wellness wet food. The Wellness is grain free, but the Innova is not. Would I be better off to switch him to all Wellness? I want to do whatever is best for him and his health. I am just concerned about switching because he was so hard to switch off of the old food he came on from the breeder. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Brooke

Banned
Brooke, he is using Terramycin ointment. It has not seemed to work. The vet did stain his eye and he said that there were no scratches or ulcers. Also, he eats Innova dry food and Wellness wet food. The Wellness is grain free, but the Innova is not. Would I be better off to switch him to all Wellness? I want to do whatever is best for him and his health. I am just concerned about switching because he was so hard to switch off of the old food he came on from the breeder. Any ideas would be appreciated.

He's on a decent food now, and I think if it was stressful to switch him then it's probably best to leave his diet alone for now - if he's already having a flair from herpes, the stress from a diet change can make it worse.

If he has conjunctivitis, it should have improved rather quickly (within a couple of days) on antibiotics. Is there any swelling or squinting? Any thick greenish or yellow discharge? If you're not seeing an improvement, you should have him revisit the vet.

If you're vet is sure it's herpes, you might talk to him about prescribing antiviral eye drops called Idoxuridine, in addition to maybe a different antibiotic (we used Tobramycin drops). This is what Nelson's ophthalmologist prescribed and I see many recommendations for it on the Feline Herpes Yahoo group. It has to be compounded by a pharmacy, but it's inexpensive and easy to get. I had to give them to Nelson when we were having trouble with his eye, and I have instructions to give them to him again if he has any other problems in the future.

I'm glad to hear there's no ulcer, though! That's a good thing...guh! I was just reliving that stress for a minute...

Good luck!

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
He is squinting some, but no green/yellow discharge. He does have a very watery eye. I am grateful that he does not have an ulcer. I was very worried about that when they were checking for it. I am hoping that it will clear up soon. I will be taking him back to the vet come Monday, providing we can get there. We have had 9 inches of snow already and more on the way.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Goodluck with Monday I'm in Ohio and we've already got 5 inchs today. Hoping it doesn't get much worse. We stocked for the weekend tho so we didnt have to go anywhere cuz our car stinks in the snow.

Back