Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Lexi is sick

MikkiJean

Lairian
First off.. hey everyone!! Missed you guys and gals and naked little kitties. Life has been hectic and the only time I have internet access right now is at work, which is limited. I hope you all had a very merry christmas!

The past week or so I've been having issues with her going outside of her box. No matter how many times a day I clean it shewould always go outside of it at least once. She spends a lot of time in her room where her box and water and food is, and her accidents are always in that room.
Christmas evening I had heard her coughing and choking so I went to check on her. When I got to her I witnessed her passing out, face first into the floor, and she pooped when she passed out. She just layed there for a little bit afterward and I ran to get the phone. She did get up after a couple of minutes (I was afraid to pick her up, and trying to find an ER vet that was open), but she wasn't herself and kind of walking funny and wide eyed.
I got her to the animal hospital and of course by the time we got there she was acting almost completely normal, just a little shaken up. After talking to the vet and going through her physical the vet thinks I should take her to a cardiologist and thinks that all of her accidents outside the box could be related to her passing out.

I am going to call the cardiologist when I get off work, but I was hoping you all could offer me some advice.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
That sounds so scary. At first I was thinking UTI but if she is passing out as well then that is just plain bizarre. I'm sorry. I hope you find answers and that she is ok. Please keep us posted, we are sending positive thoughts and vibes and keeping our fingers and paws crossed.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm so sorry to hear about Lexi (although it is good to see you post).

I did a quick search and found this article on feline syncope.
Syncope in cats

Some of your description of what happened to Lexi sounds like it could be syncope which can be treated with vitamin b12 and folic acid. Did the emergency vet do any blood work?

Good luck. Please keep us posted. We'll be thinking of you both.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I'm so sorry to hear about Lexi (although it is good to see you post).

I did a quick search and found this article on feline syncope.
Syncope in cats

Some of your description of what happened to Lexi sounds like it could be syncope which can be treated with vitamin b12 and folic acid. Did the emergency vet do any blood work?

Good luck. Please keep us posted. We'll be thinking of you both.

Great info - does sound very close to what Lexi may be going thru.

Gizzymom

Banned
I'm so sorry for you and little Lexi. You must have been so scared...and Lexi too!
I hope it turns out to be something that is very easy to treat. Tell Lexi to feel better soon. And update when you can.

Thanks for the info Miss My Sphynx Boys... very interesting. I know of syncope in humans, but did not know it could happen in cats as well.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Prayers for her to be ok.
I had a cat that would have seizures and she would go to the bathroom when it happened.
I would also have her scanned for HCM.
Have her checked for high bp also.

kaoticharmony

Banned
I'm so sorry to hear about Lexi. Shiva had a full blown seizure once and I remember how scared I was. He just looked kinda off. He's a diabetic so I took him to the bathroom for a little food or whatever he needed. I put him down and he pooped and calasped on the floor...then came the seizures...which continued until he was at the emergency center. I have never been more scared and helpless feeling in my life.

I don't think there is anything worse than not knowing what to do or what's wrong with our babies.

Give Lexi a big hug. Do whatever your vet says and don't give up until you find out what's wrong. Be sure to ask the vet about ideas people here have posted... it might just point Lexi's drs in the right direction.

Wishing you and Lexi all the best!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My heart dropped when I saw your post. Poor Lexi and poor you. Seeing something like that happen to your baby is terrifying. I hope your vet gets it figured out. Please keep us updated.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I know you must be worried like crazy about Lexi- sounds like everyone had some good info though. My prayers and thoughts are with you & Lexi. I hope you and your vet are able to figure out what it is and help her.

I know exactly how you feel and I know how worried you are. Keep strong for Lexi. She needs you. You are a wonderful mumma and she knows you love her and are doing everything you can for her.

I will be sending love and positive thoughts to the both of you. Gable, Amaryllis and baby Butter Jones send purrs and snuggles.

Hugs,
Kris

MikkiJean

Lairian
I've had someone staying with her all week while I have been at work and so far no more passing out episodes. However, she is still pooping outside the box almost everytime and there was a bit of blood in her stool. She does seem to be a little offbeat and acting a bit strange. She has been very vocal lately and usually she's not much of a talker. She's also spending most of her time in bed and not really following me around or greeting me at the door when I come home.

Going to get her into the cardiologist hopefully next week to be scanned for HCM.

The vet did not do bloodwork when I had her there and her physical was normal other than her temp being slightly low.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sorry, I'm a little late to this thread. I'm so sorry to hear about Lexi! I can't imagine how shaken you were.....sure hope that the vet can figure out what's going on. It's good to see you back!