Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Licking himself to death...

Romeos Love

Lairian
So I dont know what your monkeys tongue feels like but Romeo's could lick your fingerprints off lol! I wash him in J & J baby shampoo and he usually wears his sweaters with no problems. I took his sweater off tonight for his bath and he has these red bumps all over...in the areas where his sweater covers and on his belly. It doesnt really seem to itch but he is literally licking his chest until he turns it red and raw. Now when he was sick with the whole URI to vet suggested that I sponge bathe him instead of actually getting him in the tub...so I know I'm ranmbling but I was thinking that maybe the whole sponge bath didnt get him as clean and maybe his skin is irriated cause it wasnt cleaned good enough ?? Any ideas..I dont know how to make him stop licking the same spots over and over, his skin is gonna be a mess and he is just going to be one big walking scab!:Question::ThumbsDown:

Romeos Love

Lairian
They're actually pinkish looking pimple type bumps. Some are raised on his skin and the other are raised and red like they have been licked or itched until they were maybe going to bleed. He is giving me the evil eye right now cause I keep shoo-ing him and not letting him do his licking. I want to leave the sweater off of him but I guess I want it to air out too....sigh!

Romeos Love

Lairian
My Mr. Smarty Pants boyfriend said maybe it was from the sweater too...so off with the sweater but I did put a thin summer tank top on him...he is asleep now. I just hope that once we go to sleep he doesnt lick off a limb!:Dizzy:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Butterball gets the occasional red bump. The look like flea bites. Sometimes he scratches them and sometimes he doesn't but they always go away.

And as for the tongue issue. I got news for ya. Butterball could use his tongue to climb a wall. Lord have mercy it's rough. He licked my arm raw one night while I was sleeping.

Romeos Love

Lairian
:BigSmile: LOL thanks! I hope, that since he got a good bath tonight, the bumps will go away tomorrow or the next. I just dont want to end up back at the vets for him licking himself raw...OR ME!

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Bluto got bumps like that once when I left his shirt on for 3 days in a row...I usually change e/o day and give him a few hours in between shirts. I gave him a good bath and left him without a shirt for a few days and he cleared right up!!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I would leave the sweather off as well. Snuffie started developing what looked like ingrown fuzzies when she was wearing her winter sweaters so I bathed her real good and let her skin breathe for two days and it cleared up. Ever since I've been keeping her in lighter t-shirt materials that has more breathing to it and she has been just fine. Goodluck and keep us posted!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Make sure you are rinsing well at the end of the bath too. I agree about leaving the sweater off. I only put clothes on Nofuratu when we are going somewhere, or if I am at home and he is sleeping and seems cold. Once he wakes up from a nap, and after eating he likes to have a good lickfest! Perhaps your cat was dying to lick and just went nuts when the sweater finally came off? I use a lot of cotton sleepers for human babies on him...that are easy on the skin.

Regular cats with hair groom many times per day, and so do hairless onces...so I dont reccomend leaving clothing on all day. Thier skin needs to breath and they like to groom. If he does lick himself raw then that could be a psychological prob and he'll need to see a vet.....but I bet its just the clothing!

Back