Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Licking til he bleeds...but why??

Railinaberm

Lairian
So I’ve had Sphynx for over 15 years, started with one and now have four. Out of all four of them only one is an obsessively licking himself. He’s got scabs/rawness on all four legs right now. I’ve tried everything, changed his diet, shampoo, and laundry detergent.
He does not wear sweaters or shirts, so it’s not clothing related. He has zero bites red marks or inflammation, absolutely nothing showing as an irritant on his skin and yet he licks, and then licks, and licks some more until he’s bleeding. I’m starting to think he has OCD but the vet just laughed at me when I suggested it. Has anyone out there ever gone through this?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
So I’ve had Sphynx for over 15 years, started with one and now have four. Out of all four of them only one is an obsessively licking himself. He’s got scabs/rawness on all four legs right now. I’ve tried everything, changed his diet, shampoo, and laundry detergent.
He does not wear sweaters or shirts, so it’s not clothing related. He has zero bites red marks or inflammation, absolutely nothing showing as an irritant on his skin and yet he licks, and then licks, and licks some more until he’s bleeding. I’m starting to think he has OCD but the vet just laughed at me when I suggested it. Has anyone out there ever gone through this?
Hello, sorry to hear of this issue. Do you have any pictures to share? Also, when you say you changed the diet, what exactly did you change.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I would get a second opinion. Even if it’s not OCD it could be anxiety related. Drugs are usually a last resort but after you’ve tried everything else an SSRI can definitely help. You can also try some of those wall plug-ins like Feliway.

Don’t stay with a vet who laughs at you and doesn’t take you seriously.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My girl chews her tail when she’s stressed or sick. It could be your cat is feeling ill. I would get a blood test and urine test done at the vet to check overall health first up.

Back