Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Lil Stinker

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Greetings,

ButerBall is a master at stinking up my place. Apart from not feeding the little devil clown, how can I get him to poop less? I mean come on. I smell like roses.

Seriously, he's master of the stink. He gets the runs quite often. Sometimes I can blame it on myself for giving him a wet dinner but sometimes he just gets the runs. The stinky runs. I have to watch him after he poops else he goes and drags his bottom across the carpet. Like a dog would do. Very unappealing. Any ideas or advice?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Butterball has grown on me,i must say,so i am a little concerned.Do you change his regular cat food (wet or dry) often? when is the last time he was tested for worms? any vomiting?:confused:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
If you are not changing his food I would call the vet. Does he have gas if so he could have giardia (not sure of the spelling) it is a quick fix from the vet but if left untreated can be deadly. Please keep us posted Butterball has grown on all of us.

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi,

I'm new here & to owning a cat. But I was a Vet Tech for 10 years...for sure on what the admin said but also if you are not changing his food & this is happening he may have over time developed a food allergy; this is becoming more & more common now because pet food basically is all the same & allergies are becoming a huge problem in the vet world. I have a dog that receives custom made allergy serum everyday. But you may want to talk to your vet about weaning him onto a food with different ingredients & see if it is a food allergy. OR if you give him people food which I'm not saying you do but if ti is so he could have sensitive stomch & have like a colitis thing going on too. Just some suggestions.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow, thanks for the great responses. I haven't switched his dry food but sometimes I like to give him a wet dinner (once or twice a week). I have come to expect the stink after a wet dinner. I wouldn't say he's got chronic problems but maybe a little more than usual. Yes, he does have gas. Fortunately we are going to the vet soon and I'll bring it up. I've had the cat for about 3 months now and the little devil hasn't vomited once. That surprises me. I always thought kittens and vomit went hand in hand. He looks healthy. He's energetic. He eats like and drinks water like a champ. Everything has been perfect except the fore mentioned subject. Maybe he's just got a got a bad gut. I keep thinking his belly will settle when he gets older. I don't think there's much to worry about but I'll double check with the vet. I just thought there might be a magic Harry Potter spell that I could cast on him.

Rhubarb

Lairian
We dealt with a very similar issue in the first few months we had Buffy the Vampire Slayer. We eventually figured out that it was definately the wet food that gave her the runs for a couple days. We just started giving a differnt kind of wet food once a week until we found one that didn't give her the runs. She would do the same thing as Butterball! She would walk in it, track it through the house (and into our bed) and then rub her butt on the carpet. It was not pretty but we eventaully got it figured out....good luck!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys,could you please let us all know what food you were using that gave your kitty's the runs?

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It wasn't any food in particular. Just assorted kitty food. One of them was an all organic wet food. The other was Whiskas wet food. He's doing much better today. He had the runs when I switched from Royal Canin to Iams. He just has a sensitive stomach I guess. When he eats only dry food his belly seems to calm down for a few days. He still has the occasional run but it's not too bad. I just really think his belly will calm down with age. I really like feeding him wet food but if it's going to make him sick then I'll refrain.

Rhubarb

Lairian
Hi guys,could you please let us all know what food you were using that gave your kitty's the runs?

We use the dry Iams kitten food and she does fine on this, no runs. We found that when we gave her the wet food (many brands) she would get diarhea so we just went through the brands until we came to one that doesn't give her the runs (Nutro Natural Choice) if we give it only every three or four days. Our vet has told us that it would be better for her to get canned/wet food because it is higher in protein but she just doesn't seem to be able to tolerate it more often than once every three or four days. Perhaps as she gets older this will improve.

Back