Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Tatianna

Lairian
Yesterday I officially became a sphynx owner. I live in Massachusetts and took a four hour drive to New York to pick up my beautiful 3 month old lilac mink kitten, whom I named Giza (I feel he has super Egyptian look). He was an only child, and is much more timid than many of the other kittens. Although he has only been in my home for one night, he and I have bonded so much. He went from running away from me to purring at first touch, and crying when I leave him. He is so precious. I was able to clean his nails/ears without a problem.. I am curious if Giza will become more affectionate as he gets more comfortable in the new home. Also, it's hard to find toys that will keep him interested, and he sleeps a lot!!! Feel free to leave any tips, or comments. I am very new at this and would like all the help I can get, thanks!!

Last edited:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @Tatianna and welcome to Sphynxlair! So glad you found us! What a cutie you have there! He will open up more once he gets acclimated to his new home. Please enjoy our wonderful sphynx community! (y)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hello @titianna and welcome to
Sphynxlair for you and Giza! What an asorable boy he is. I love his eyes. Looked at it three times, they are grey...no green...no blue...just love the colour. And his dark nose just need to be kissed-).

It's normal for a kittens who just moved to his new house to sleep a lot! There are so many new things to discover for him and that cost a lot of energy. My boys needed some time to get used to me and to learn to trust me. They cuddled with me from the first moment but I also noticed that they got scared easily if I wanted to pick them up or made un unexpected move. Now they know me and our bond is getting stronger every day.

With all the new impression and him being so little toys are just ine of a lot of things he wants to see and to investigate. After a few days he'll settled down.

Enjoy this first days with Giza! Love to see a lot of pics from this cutie.

Tatianna

Lairian
Thank you for the replies! Every hour he is getting more and more comfortable in his new home @admin :) Started off in the bathroom for the first night, and now he is comfortably cuddling with me on my bed. We have a small chihuahua so he will not be wandering the rest of the house for quite some time until him and her are ready. We don't want any accidents, but she is much more eager to meet him than Giza is! @Toa and Ross thank you for the compliments! I can't quite decipher his eye color either but it seems like a combo of those three! He is just so handsome! Ill be sure to upload lots of pics :) He does get scared easily from strangers or sudden movements, but I plan on spending lots of time with him as I do online schooling so Im home a lot. Eventually we plan on getting a female sphynx from the same breeder. For now its just this little guy and I am absolutely in love. I never would have thought I would have such a majestic and captivating animal but I can tell you now everything has changed for the better!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Annika Laybourn

Lairian
Such a handsome guy you got there! I was somewhat worried because my little new sphynx Hendrix slept SO much the first week. Now its been 1,5 week and the last few days he's been getting more active. So nothing to worry about - getting a new home is just making him very tired :)

I hope that the introduction to your chihuahua will go well :)

Tatianna

Lairian
Hi Annika! Your boy Hendrix is beautiful, and that name fits him perfect. Thank you for the reassurance, but I must say I don't mind all this cuddling in the mean time!! Last night was our first night and I didn't get much sleep, but we would play until he got tired. Today he is uninterested in toys and wants to cuddle lol.

Thanks again, and Im sure it will! She is a sweet heart :) I am more worried about him giving her a few smacks or two!:ROFLMAO:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Hello and welcome to Sphynxlair! It sounds like you are off to a great start and Giza is loved beyond measure. If you want to make sure he knows you are a warm safe cuddly spot to go to, throw a blanket in the dryer and wrap him up in it when it is cuddle time. It is often a magnet to kitties...lol.

Patti

Tatianna

Lairian
That's a great tip! I sometimes do that for myself in the Winter since I live in New England. Im sure the kitty will appreciate it too:happy: Also plan on buying some cute sweaters from this website I found. He loves the fuzzy blankets the most!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Who doesn't love a cozy blanket?! Watch how you all of a sudden start buying blankets. I usually like things that match etc, but when it comes to blankets I buy more and more and more...lol. I tend to like the small thinner fleece ones now because I can wash a few at a time and they dry fast and they are warm for the babies. Start shopping...lol.

Patti

Tatianna

Lairian
Yes he is snuggled up in a fleece one right now, seems to be content with life lol. Every time I go out now going to keep this little guy in mind, definitely going to be a spoiled kitty! There's a website I found that has super cute sweaters with tested materials that will keep them cozy and warm; also the owners of the website own sphynxs so the shape of them has been through trials to ensure that they can move freely and comfortably :) . They even have bambino/kitten sizes.. soooo cute

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Tatianna ,happy Giza gotcha!welcome to you and adorable Giza! Looking forward to your journey with us and pics ! We looove pics!
Lol- my Batman came out of his shell after about two weeks- wow you should hear and see him now! Very extroverted and talks and likes to be gently spanked with a cupped hand by the base of his tail ( I learned here it can be a Sphynx thing :))

It's a whole new big world for Giza and you will be more and more amazed each passing day- it's an amazing journey - Welcome!

Ps - I personally don't leave sweaters on them when I leave the house bcz I have seen mine wiggle and get stuck on it or get a nail snagged on it-

I buy those 50x60 inch soft throw blankets at Ross and Marshall's - in dark colors :) and wash twice a week- I have 3 of those throws on my bed and two on the couch

Last edited:

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you. Handsome little Gentleman
Gina is. Congrats. Enjoy the Lair, it's the greatest site there is.
For Sphynx lovers.
Yes, don't leave him alone with Sweaters on. They can hang themselves.

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi there, I just read your other post that he is settling in and becoming more secure, so that's great. I love this picture when you first got him home, he's such a beauty!

I also don't leave Rosie alone with clothes on and it's a rule that she always goes to bed naked, too, in case she gets caught up in her clothes or gets accidentally snagged on something. They are great for little outings though and perfect for a romp around the garden. Blankets are a must, but make sure you check them and cushions etc before you sit down, you'll be surprised at how they can blend in with the furniture!

Tatianna

Lairian
Hi everyone. After hearing your comments I will not leave him unsupervised with any sweaters. Luckily I have a bunch of thin fleece blankets that both him and my chihuahua love. He is such a sweet boy.

Didn't realize truly how much like little children these cats are! As he got more confident he began checking out every little detail of my room! Last night I put away anything that is small enough to get in his mouth or could be hazardous. I also put away all of his small toys before bed.

Thank you everyone :) I will be ordering a climber for him tonight xx

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Tatianna , looking forward to Giza pics ! Sounds like he is settling in nicely !
Ps- also, if you have a flat top stove- you have to kitty proof too - they are attracted to the heat-
It's amazing how smart and curious they are - seems to be a fascination to the toilet too- we are always making sure the men leave the kids down - and I don't leave any of those bowl. cleaning products in the toilet just in case one falls in again ( guest left lid up- $225 vet visit)

I have also removed any breakables from on top of the fireplace ( another fascination to kitty proof) -
I look around the house now and think..." Hmmmmm if I were a Sphynx , what trouble could I get into with that over there :)" . Just yesterday ,after a year here, one decided the razors on the Shower ledge was a neat thing to scare mum with and jump up and carry off!

Glad you decided on supervised clothing :)
You will find so many adorable sweaters- we find the sleeveless and Velcro ones easy on and off :)

Happy Giza shopping ! So much fun!
Cat climber suggestion, look for sturdy balanced , and bigger than you think Giza fits in-
They can outgrow them quickly.. We have a short trixie cat tree -one that they have outgrown -
A round turbo ring )with scratcher and ball ( I got at walmart) and few scratching pads or posts are favs here- and a pack of ping pong balls for zoomies!

Last edited:

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh, gosh, yes! I totally agree with @Yoda mom we leave our bathroom door closed because of all the mischief our cats get into. When Poppy, our bengal, was a bit younger, she jumped up on the window ledge and tried to squeeze herself out of the tiny little air vent we have in the window! It's the smallest hole, but she was determined! Ever since then we've left the door shut. It's also shut if we are running the bath, as Rosie the naked has an absolute fascination with the water and walks around the ledge of the bath, dipping her toes in. I'd hate for her to slip and not be able to get out, so the bathroom door is always shut, just in case! I still have them dance all around the bath when I'm in it, but at least I can keep an eye on them.

And the hot plates on the stove was a great mention. We have electric, unfortunately, which stays really hot. Thankfully I have a few huge pans that I fill to the top with cold water and place over the hotplates after I've finished cooking. It covers them and more, so little naked bottys can't get close and gives us peace of mind.

Literally anything that's not glued down is a potential plaything, so watch out for coins, pens, receipts, eye glasses, candles, earphones! Socks, any piece of DIY material, nails, screws, plugs. Either glue it down, or hide it in a drawer. And close your drawers completely unless you want them rifling through it lol!
Like Yoda Mom, I also hide some of their toys when not being supervised- those fishing rod type toys could potentially have them tangled up when you're not looking, so hide them away securely. And it's could to test all your toys for durability before you let them have them. The dangly tails on mice can sometimes come off and be swallowed, so give them a good tug to test them before you let your baby have it for themselves.

And wires! Gosh, our Bengal chewed through plenty of cables while she was teething, something our little naked started to copy, so if we went out, we learned to shut them in a room without those dangers, for us it was the bedroom, hiding all our phone chargers and unplugging everything else!

Yes, it's like having a baby, but in my opinion, so much better! I've always said that I'd only get pregnant if I could give birth to kittens! You'll get used to their antics and mischief making and you'll love being a naked baby's parent.

JazmineJolt

Lairian
He is so beautiful, I never see the lilac ones up close like that, thanks for the photo :) and I read your other thread, glad to hear he warmed up to you pretty fast...I have two coming in a few weeks and I've been nervous about the same thing!

Jacks153

Lairian
@Tatianna WELCOME !!!! You will love this Sphynx community! Every one is such a great help!
Your Giza is SO HANDSOME !!!! Please keep posting pics! We love pics here :p - I look forward to watching him grow !

Back