Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Limping kitten syndrome

Hayley ebborn

Lairian
Joined
Jul 23, 2016
Messages
58
Points
19
hi guys'
I picked up my third Sphynx baby (12 weeks) on Thursday. When I got home (7 hr trip) and put her on the floor I noticed straight away that she has a severe limp in her left hind leg and the next day I noticed she is starting to get green/yellow discharge from the eyes which has me very concerned as she was purchased for a breeding queen so a lot of money spent. My breeder has been great with communicating with me about the issue and she believes that it is a reaction from the vaccine that she was given on the Sunday (second vaccine) which is believed to be limping kitten syndrome. I've been doing nothing but stressing over the situation, I have been reassured that it can take Upto 3 weeks for the limp to go away so I am hoping this is the case at this stage I am watching her very carefully she is eating and drinking great and she is very playful so I'm just wondering has anybody else had to deal with limping kitten syndrome? And how well did your kitty or kitties recover?
 

Hayley ebborn

Lairian
Joined
Jul 23, 2016
Messages
58
Points
19
Yes I've done heaps my breeder has already sent me links I'm done reading I just need assurance that her limp will go away
 

Toa and Ross

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 23, 2015
Messages
20,374
Points
643
@Hayley ebborn sorry to hear your new baby is going trough this situation. Have you been to the vet? I don't know about this syndrome so only chimed in to sent healing vibes.
 

Catzzzmeow

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 16, 2011
Messages
25,582
Points
673
Hopefully your vet will give you the reassurance you want/need. If the discharge becomes worse, labored breathing,coughing etc, I would not wait until Monday. Greenish/yellow means an infection and it can worsen quickly in these guys. Keep us updated as your information will be able to help other members in the future.

Patti
 

Hayley ebborn

Lairian
Joined
Jul 23, 2016
Messages
58
Points
19
Hopefully your vet will give you the reassurance you want/need. If the discharge becomes worse, labored breathing,coughing etc, I would not wait until Monday. Greenish/yellow means an infection and it can worse quickly in these guys. Keep us updated as your information will be able to help other members in the future.

Patti
I will for sure the eye discharge is minimal but is still sign of infection very upset with the whole situation as the limp doesn't look as though it's just going to go away
 

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 13, 2009
Messages
22,303
Points
643
hi guys'
I picked up my third Sphynx baby (12 weeks) on Thursday. When I got home (7 hr trip) and put her on the floor I noticed straight away that she has a severe limp in her left hind leg and the next day I noticed she is starting to get green/yellow discharge from the eyes which has me very concerned as she was purchased for a breeding queen so a lot of money spent. My breeder has been great with communicating with me about the issue and she believes that it is a reaction from the vaccine that she was given on the Sunday (second vaccine) which is believed to be limping kitten syndrome. I've been doing nothing but stressing over the situation, I have been reassured that it can take Upto 3 weeks for the limp to go away so I am hoping this is the case at this stage I am watching her very carefully she is eating and drinking great and she is very playful so I'm just wondering has anybody else had to deal with limping kitten syndrome? And how well did your kitty or kitties recover?
I would surely see your vet, its very common that most breeders will require a health check by your own vet within 48 hours of the purchase- most have it listed in their contracts. :)
 

Hayley ebborn

Lairian
Joined
Jul 23, 2016
Messages
58
Points
19
I would surely see your vet, its very common that most breeders will require a health check by your own vet within 48 hours of the purchase- most have it listed in their contracts. :)
Yes that's correct but my breeder suggest that I don't see a veterinarian as I won't be covered by insurance until 72 hrs after it was set up she claims to know what it is and that it will pass by I will still be doing a vet check up as its been a week tomorrow since she had the vaccine and there is no improvement in her limp
 

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Joined
Apr 19, 2015
Messages
1,559
Points
338
Oh poor baby. Sorry you are going through this with your little one. Are you keeping your others separate, just in case it's infectious?

I'd be straight to the vet, regardless of insurance, just to be safe. Hope your baby gets better quickly
 

Hayley ebborn

Lairian
Joined
Jul 23, 2016
Messages
58
Points
19
Update on Versace took her to the vet this morning after being advised by my breeder to not take her to the vet for days, I could no longer wait and the worst has been confirmed her patella is way out of joint (her knee bone is facing inwards and completely abnormal) my vet has said that the kitten was either born with this condition or she has been inured at a very young age and it has healed wrong, so heart broken atm. So I advised my breeder of this and she wanted to speak to the vet straight away to see what they are saying. Not long after she speaks to them she calls me up going off at me because my partner had told them she had the limp the day we got her in which that voids our insurance so we are not covered for the surgery she would require in which will cost well over $3000 she wanted us to say it started a couple of days after we picked her up. She has then told me to give her the cat back and she will refund the money in which she says she really doesn't have to but she will. She told me she will be not selling me any more kittens and no longer mentoring me with my breeding programme
:( so I have spent a lot of money on my stud whom I also purchased of her I am registered with a cat association and I have put a lot of time money and effort into my babies only for this to get thrown in my face and to be blamed for her leg being that way :( so not only do I not have the healthy queen I paid for but now I am left with no queen and no idea where to start looking for a healthy queen off a good breeder. My heart is broken cannot believe this is happening my little boy and I have been crying all afternoon even though we have only had her for a week we love her and the thought of handing her back breaks our hearts :(
 

Catzzzmeow

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 16, 2011
Messages
25,582
Points
673
@Hayley ebborn Ohhh noooo. I am so sorry you are going through this. It is a very hard decision for you to make. I know once they enter your home, they enter your heart. With how this breeder handled things and insisting you should have lied, she probably is not the type of mentor you would want to really work with. It is very hard when we see people's true colors.

Patti
 

Hayley ebborn

Lairian
Joined
Jul 23, 2016
Messages
58
Points
19
@Hayley ebborn Ohhh noooo. I am so sorry you are going through this. It is a very hard decision for you to make. I know once they enter your home, they enter your heart. With how this breeder handled things and insisting you should have lied, she probably is not the type of mentor you would want to really work with. It is very hard when we see people's true colors.

Patti
Yes absolutely i trusted her and thought I was paying for top quality kittens but all she was worried about in this case was the insurance and us getting the surgery done.
 

Yoda mom

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 23, 2012
Messages
12,771
Points
653
@Hayley ebborn , ((hugs)))
I had a Bengal yrs ago with a luxating Patella - he did not require surgery -
He lived a healthy long life without incident - his was grade 1

Did the vet say what grade of patella luxation? And if it is a congenital ?
It is seems some breeds are more pre disposed to patella luxation from what I learned years ago.

sending head smooches to Versace - are you going to keep her? As a pet ?
Amd perhaps a second vet opinion on thr knee?

Would the breeder refund the difference between what they charge for pet quality vs breeder quality ?
This way if you keep her , the refund could put toward a surgery if necessary confirmed by at lease a second opinion?
(Just a thought - am not a breeder so I don't know how it typically works )

Possible to hold off on breeding and re -visit research to find a different reputable breeder who can mentor ,HCM scams etc and from whom you can purchase a Queen?
It's all about the betterment of the breed in the long run.

My USA breeder who I adopted from actually imports for her breeding program
Would this be an option to consider too?

My heart breaks for you amd Versace -
** btw, how are her eyes? Is she on medicstion for the discharge ? Diagnosis ?


Please please keep us updated often
 

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2013
Messages
12,093
Points
653
@Hayley ebborn aww, my heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry you are in this situation now. It's quite obvious that the breeder knew what she was doing. Then she has the nerve to threaten you that she won't sell you another kitten or even mentor you???? Why in the world would you want to do business with her again in the first place?!?

It's a very difficult situation you are in right now, but put emotions aside in the next day and figure out what is best for you. We are all here to listen to you vent and we all wish you the very best.
 

Hayley ebborn

Lairian
Joined
Jul 23, 2016
Messages
58
Points
19
@Hayley ebborn , ((hugs)))
I had a Bengal yrs ago with a luxating Patella - he did not require surgery -
He lived a healthy long life without incident - his was grade 1

Did the vet say what grade of patella luxation? And if it is a congenital ?
It is seems some breeds are more pre disposed to patella luxation from what I learned years ago.

sending head smooches to Versace - are you going to keep her? As a pet ?
Amd perhaps a second vet opinion on thr knee?

Would the breeder refund the difference between what they charge for pet quality vs breeder quality ?
This way if you keep her , the refund could put toward a surgery if necessary confirmed by at lease a second opinion?
(Just a thought - am not a breeder so I don't know how it typically works )

Possible to hold off on breeding and re -visit research to find a different reputable breeder who can mentor ,HCM scams etc and from whom you can purchase a Queen?
It's all about the betterment of the breed in the long run.

My USA breeder who I adopted from actually imports for her breeding program
Would this be an option to consider too?

My heart breaks for you amd Versace -
** btw, how are her eyes? Is she on medicstion for the discharge ? Diagnosis ?


Please please keep us updated often
Her eyes are fine it's just the leg I don't have the money for surgery after just paying $5000 for her alone I can't keep her everytime I look At her it breaks my heart it's worst then a normal case of luxating patella hence why the surgery is going to cost heaps not %100 sure if congenital but not taking the risk either I want to breed healthy cats not problems how much roughly to import from over seas?
 

Hayley ebborn

Lairian
Joined
Jul 23, 2016
Messages
58
Points
19
@Hayley ebborn aww, my heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry you are in this situation now. It's quite obvious that the breeder knew what she was doing. Then she has the nerve to threaten you that she won't sell you another kitten or even mentor you???? Why in the world would you want to do business with her again in the first place?!?

It's a very difficult situation you are in right now, but put emotions aside in the next day and figure out what is best for you. We are all here to listen to you vent and we all wish you the very best.
Thanks at this stage im just going to return the kitten to her and get a refund and then take it one day at a time very upsetting but it is what is and I believe the kitten was like this before she came home to me so I will not take the blame for something that's happened in her care.
 

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Joined
Nov 13, 2012
Messages
3,402
Points
238
I am so sorry to hear of this update and your situation.
Sending lots of hugs. It is such a tough situation to go through, I know how quickly you can fall in love with these guys.

If the queen went back to the breeder, would she be doing the surgery for the queen?
 

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2013
Messages
12,093
Points
653
Thanks at this stage im just going to return the kitten to her and get a refund and then take it one day at a time very upsetting but it is what is and I believe the kitten was like this before she came home to me so I will not take the blame for something that's happened in her care.
@Hayley ebborn I'm glad to hear you made a decision and emotions aside, I believe you made the right decision. No doubt in my mind that the breeder knew exactly what she was doing because the kitten was surely like this before you got her.
 

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2010
Messages
25,218
Points
673
I am so sorry. I would make sure she gave me the money, before, I, let her
have, the kitten.
I'm sure, you'll find another Queen. Plus there are other breeder's
I'm sure would mentor you.
 

Yoda mom

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 23, 2012
Messages
12,771
Points
653
((Hugs))) and prayers for this sweet girl that the breeder does right by her with proper medical treatment so she can have a pain free life
So heartbreaking
 

Hayley ebborn

Lairian
Joined
Jul 23, 2016
Messages
58
Points
19
I am so sorry to hear of this update and your situation.
Sending lots of hugs. It is such a tough situation to go through, I know how quickly you can fall in love with these guys.

If the queen went back to the breeder, would she be doing the surgery for the queen?
Gave her back today broke my heart not to mention was treated badly by breeder she said she'll fix her and breed her herself or desex & rehome her
 

Hayley ebborn

Lairian
Joined
Jul 23, 2016
Messages
58
Points
19

@Hayley ebborn I'm glad to hear you made a decision and emotions aside, I believe you made the right decision. No doubt in my mind that the breeder knew exactly what she was doing because the kitten was surely like this before you got her.
Yes gave her back today treated me badly claims my vet is wrong and said there is to be no more contact now so I'm left in the deep end :(
 
Top