Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Litter Allergies? Food Allergies?

DannieCheri

Lairian
I’m pretty new here, I hope I’m posting in the right place! One of my kitties, Violet, is extra sensitive to everything, we’ve been dealing with small rashes on and off since adopting her in August 2019. Since we’ve been on our stay home order the past few weeks though she has gotten the worst bought of hives since I’ve had her. She scratched them until they scabbed over and we had to bandage her head to prevent more scratching. Plus being congested and having runny eyes.
964efeff7d8959207c05dd6aab2740b3.jpg

We were finally able to get her to the vet yesterday and he is also pretty confident it is some sort of allergy. She looks much better already after a being in bandages for a week and good regular cleanings. She’s now on antibiotics and anti-fungal medications for her skin as well.
6e0f1ab9cccb4b6330d780795bf8034a.jpg

Vet thinks food allergies , I think possibly litter allergies (we were using silica litter now changing to hypoallergenic paper). I’d like to change one thing at a time to try to narrow it down. I know changing the food will take 6+ weeks before we could see a difference. Does anyone know how long it would take to see a difference from changing litters? Any other thoughts/recommendations? I’m still very new to owning sphynxs and will take any advice I can get, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheldon13

Staff member
I would think it would be pretty immediate with the litter. How is she taking to the new litter?

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

DannieCheri

Lairian
I would think it would be pretty immediate with the litter. How is she taking to the new litter?

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Ya I can find all kinds of info on litter allergies online EXCEPT how long they take to go away after a change lol. I’m hoping the litter is the main issues and it improved fast but I imaging it is a little of both food and litter.

I saw her sister use it today, I haven’t seen her use it yet but I’m pretty sure she did this morning while I was still in bed. They have never been overly particular with litter in the past so I’m not too worried about the change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back