Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Litter box contraption (For Suzi!)

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Suzi here are some pictures of my toilet, I have done some modeling for you so you can see me using it. A bit of a demo, hope it helps. Mo :ThumbsUp:

feb cats 035.jpg

feb cats 037.jpg

feb cats 038.jpg

feb cats 039.jpg

susi794

Staff member
Thanks Mo! The boxes don't move when you step in them? I'm not sure that will work with my house/furniture, but I just might try it. Our floors are a mess!

Inferno12

Banned
Thats a great idea. My carpet is a mess with litter too! Its Johnny favorite spot to roll around too. I cant figure it out other than its scratchy on his skin :Question::Question::Question:

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks Mo! The boxes don't move when you step in them? I'm not sure that will work with my house/furniture, but I just might try it. Our floors are a mess!

No they stay in place quite well! They don't catch all the pieces, but i've definately noticed less around the house since I started doing this.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
such a great idea!! the water doesn't bother them? (i'm assuming water are in the pans?)

We have litter ALL in our beds!! OMG it drives me NUTS!! (because obviously they're fave nap spot is our bed!)

LLevenson

Lairian
I have been tossing around the idea of trying something like this:

Sari’s DIY Litter Box Hider|moderncat :: cat products, cat toys, cat furniture, and more…all with modern style

But perhaps using a storage bench instead of cabinets....I just have to find the right spot to devote this much space to the litter box! But I am SOOO tired of litter tracked ALL over the house....I have 2 huge bath mats placed around the litter box, and still Arias practically jumps over them and litter gets everywhere! little stinker :Impish:

this is another cool idea:

Litter-Garage - Home
but there's still the tracking problem

also, my friend installed a cat door to her window and then her husband built a screened-in multi-level "****eau" (like chateau but you know, for poo :Cool: ) it was awesome b/c the cats have to climb down to the litter box, which is all covered so no raining on kitty's head, but screens on the side to keep out bugs and critters & keep kitty in, and since they have to climb back up, litter tracking is not a problem! plus, all the stinky stuff is outside! it;s genius! I hope my description makes sense! I am hoping I can somehow convince my hubby to build us one!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
No there is no water in them it's just a way of stopping the litter getting on the carpets and tracking round. By the time they've stepped out of the 2nd one most of the litter has fallen off their paws and into the trays.I guess you could put water in them though, not tried it.

I'm toying with the idea putting 2 hooded litter boxes together with a hole cut in the back of one so they have to step into a second empty box after coming out of the main one before they get to the carpet. But it may take some work!

TheFlork

Lairian
you should get some carpet samples and cut them to size to fit in the tubs, i bet it would get all of the extra!

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have the litter pan on a rug which helps a little. the pans are a good idea, i also think the carpets in the pans will be SUPER helpful!!
Idk why i thought there was water in the pans LOL.. maybe because i think "dish pan=water" ... call me crazy.. it's ok :) i understand now :) hahahahaha
I have one of those litter pan mats. it helps a little.. but my laundry room/entry to bedroom is a kitty litter disaster!
I may steal some ideas from you ladies!!

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We gave up our broomcloset, and put a cat flap access door in it, they have two large litter pans in there (we used large rectangle storage containers from the dollar store) Their food is in there too, but on an elevated platform. I have to sweep in there a couple of times a week, but there is no litter anywhere else in the house.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
We gave up our broomcloset, and put a cat flap access door in it, they have two large litter pans in there (we used large rectangle storage containers from the dollar store) Their food is in there too, but on an elevated platform. I have to sweep in there a couple of times a week, but there is no litter anywhere else in the house.

I so love this idea!!! but don't have a extra closet to give up:Cry:
We have a sunroom that we are redoing for the cats (if admin ever finishes it) and that is where the litter box is supposed to be but now it is outside our bedroom door in the hallway:Frown: so if one of the cats poop in the middle of the night we get the smell.
The other box we keep in the spare room that is Athenas baby room so we just call it the cat room. We have a baby gate up so the dogs can not eat the poop:Badly:

susi794

Staff member
I so love this idea!!! but don't have a extra closet to give up:Cry:
We have a sunroom that we are redoing for the cats (if admin ever finishes it) and that is where the litter box is supposed to be but now it is outside our bedroom door in the hallway:Frown: so if one of the cats poop in the middle of the night we get the smell.
The other box we keep in the spare room that is Athenas baby room so we just call it the cat room. We have a baby gate up so the dogs can not eat the poop:Badly:

That's just the worst! My beagle thinks it's doggy candy too. :Shok::Frown::Badly:

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
No they stay in place quite well! They don't catch all the pieces, but i've definately noticed less around the house since I started doing this.

Could you line the boxes with astroturff like carpet? The plastic stuff that has "blades" of "grass" that would be soft underfoot but rub the bits off and let it fall inbetween the pile.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Such a great idea!! :BigSmile:

We have a hooded box with a litter catch mat in front and that seems to work ok but i'm loving the ingenious ideas floating around this link! :BigSmile:

X

Back