Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

HappyLilSphynx

Lairian
Earlier today I learned of a sphynx in need of a home largely due to some litter box issues. I've said that I may be willing to try to work with him (he is going to be evaluated by a vet before I can make any decisions about moving forward!)

Here's what I know ...
He is estimated to be 7 years old
He was surrendered by someone who had at least 8 cats and 7 boxes (that weren't necessarily cleaned regularly) because he was pooping outside of the boxes. Unfortunately, he's shown the same behavior since being in a different environment and having multiple boxes cleaned twice a day.
He's declawed.

I have a feeling the surgery caused his paws to be tender, and that the litter may hurt. I'm willing to try to work with this little guy (maybe a foster to adopt situation) to see if a fine litter (any suggestions?), shredded paper, or even toilet training might help. I'm curious to see if anyone has other ideas/suggestions. If this little man's personality is a good fit, I'd like to give him a chance - but I also can't have him soiling the carpet (especially since I rent!)

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Awh, poor guy! I hope that in a good environment and someone willing to work with his toilet issues, that they get better and he finds his forever home (it's so nice you would be willing to open your home to him). Living with 8 cats, and being declawed must of been stressful and caused some behavioral issues.

Like you said, get him evaluated by a vet to make sure there are no underlying issues. But I think trying various litters, opened boxes in private areas, and even Feliway. Feliway really seems to work wonders for our sphynxes and really seems to help our one cat, Loki, who can get stressed out really easily.

Perhaps some other sphynx owners can chime in on litter types. We have only ever used corn litter.
Good luck, and keep us updated on the news! :)

Nursebeth

Lairian
Earlier today I learned of a sphynx in need of a home largely due to some litter box issues. I've said that I may be willing to try to work with him (he is going to be evaluated by a vet before I can make any decisions about moving forward!)

Here's what I know ...
He was surrendered by someone who had at least 8 cats and 7 boxes (that weren't necessarily cleaned regularly) because he was pooping outside of the boxes. Unfortunately, he's shown the same behavior since being in a different environment and having multiple boxes cleaned twice a day.
He's declawed.

I have a feeling the surgery caused his paws to be tender, and that the litter may hurt. I'm willing to try to work with this little guy (maybe a foster to adopt situation) to see if a fine litter (any suggestions?), shredded paper, or even toilet training might help. I'm curious to see if anyone has other ideas/suggestions. If this little man's personality is a good fit, I'd like to give him a chance - but I also can't have him soiling the carpet (especially since I rent!)
What about like alfalfa or bedding sold at pet shops for other types of animals?

admin

Administrator
Staff member

Here's what I know ...
He's declawed.

There could be multiple things causing the issue. Take a look at this post Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box and see the most common, there is a video on the "politics of litter" and it does talk about the negatives of toilet training. As long as health issues have been ruled out, Its most likely was the multiple cats in the home, dirty boxes, perhaps the placement of the boxes and or the litter or all combined. :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
You're a truly kind person to thinking about giving this boy a new home!

Do you know what the second owner did and tried to get the boy on the litter box? Were there always more cats in the houses were he lives?
I don't know much about how to solve litterbox issues so hopefully others will chime in.

BusterTheCat

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well for one there were less boxes than cats in his home! I know 7 boxes may seem like a lot but cats can get territorial about going in the same box as another cat. Also, cats do not like to go in dirty boxes. We have one girl who has litter box issues but we have many more boxes than cats. We're still trying to work with her.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@HappyLilSphynx ,Great advice given
Also wants to add when I bring hoe, adopted amd still do randomly - I train /give treats like a dog

Have multiple different boxes amd types Amd types of litter - I would go with unscented since heavy perfumes can be a turn off, - you can always return or donate litters test don't work

I would isolate and reinforce potty training in a bathroom where a box will be permanent
And free row, as a reward

I keep a treat jar by each box
As soon as kitty uses box amd exits - give positive praise with Castile amd out treats on the ground right in front of the litter box as he exits

I did this routine with a retired Bengal beeder stud many years ago
He would actually meow foe a treat after getting out of the box

As soon as praised amd treated for using the box I allow limited free roaming on his own supervised only with lots of play

Watch body language - pick up kitty amd put in front of box
As son as he goes in , give verbal praise - treats on exit

They are smart amd catching quick
My adopted Bengal Buddha cat turned it into a life time game :)

I would also leave a poo and pee clump in the box so he knows it's his box
Amd scoop a clump amd place m the other new boxes to reinforce they are all his

Lots of love and patience and twining can work wonders with the right heart and home

whem I first adopted , I ordered the comfort zone EZ open 6 pack amd put them in a few rooms

I honestly think this boy would be best in a one kitty home so he can learn what is his amd relax and enjoy life
To set him up for success

Please keep us updated
We are here for you with whatever your decision

All I know is this guy would be blessed with your love and care -
It's a lifetime commitment and I know you will do what is best for him and be sure it's a good fit.
Great idea asking others to chime in with creative ideas
What is meant to be , is meant to be
Keep us posted
((hugs)))

HappyLilSphynx

Lairian
Awh, poor guy! I hope that in a good environment and someone willing to work with his toilet issues, that they get better and he finds his forever home (it's so nice you would be willing to open your home to him). Living with 8 cats, and being declawed must of been stressful and caused some behavioral issues.

Like you said, get him evaluated by a vet to make sure there are no underlying issues. But I think trying various litters, opened boxes in private areas, and even Feliway. Feliway really seems to work wonders for our sphynxes and really seems to help our one cat, Loki, who can get stressed out really easily.

Perhaps some other sphynx owners can chime in on litter types. We have only ever used corn litter.
Good luck, and keep us updated on the news! :)

Thanks! I can't use a corn-based litter (I've tried, but it these little weevil-type bugs we have around here are attracted to it!) I'm willing to work with the little guy to see what might work ... my vet said it might be difficult, but to me that doesn't mean impossible! My mother's told me about a cat she had growing up that refused to use litter - so she and her brother would take turns getting dirt out of their yard. The cat had been an outdoor car, and was used to using dirt - and had no problems with the litter box when they had the right filler!

HappyLilSphynx

Lairian
You're a truly kind person to thinking about giving this boy a new home!

Do you know what the second owner did and tried to get the boy on the litter box? Were there always more cats in the houses were he lives?
I don't know much about how to solve litterbox issues so hopefully others will chime in.
I know the former owner had the boxes out, but I'm not sure how much she worked with him. The shelter said they have him in a condo-type area with 4 boxes that are cleaned 2x/day and he's still having the same issue ... my thought is that the litter might be hurting his (declawed) paws - but we'd have to somehow test that theory!

HappyLilSphynx

Lairian
@HappyLilSphynx ,Great advice given
Also wants to add when I bring hoe, adopted amd still do randomly - I train /give treats like a dog

Have multiple different boxes amd types Amd types of litter - I would go with unscented since heavy perfumes can be a turn off, - you can always return or donate litters test don't work

I would isolate and reinforce potty training in a bathroom where a box will be permanent
And free row, as a reward

I keep a treat jar by each box
As soon as kitty uses box amd exits - give positive praise with Castile amd out treats on the ground right in front of the litter box as he exits

I did this routine with a retired Bengal beeder stud many years ago
He would actually meow foe a treat after getting out of the box

As soon as praised amd treated for using the box I allow limited free roaming on his own supervised only with lots of play

Watch body language - pick up kitty amd put in front of box
As son as he goes in , give verbal praise - treats on exit

They are smart amd catching quick
My adopted Bengal Buddha cat turned it into a life time game :)

I would also leave a poo and pee clump in the box so he knows it's his box
Amd scoop a clump amd place m the other new boxes to reinforce they are all his

Lots of love and patience and twining can work wonders with the right heart and home

whem I first adopted , I ordered the comfort zone EZ open 6 pack amd put them in a few rooms

I honestly think this boy would be best in a one kitty home so he can learn what is his amd relax and enjoy life
To set him up for success

Please keep us updated
We are here for you with whatever your decision

All I know is this guy would be blessed with your love and care -
It's a lifetime commitment and I know you will do what is best for him and be sure it's a good fit.
Great idea asking others to chime in with creative ideas
What is meant to be , is meant to be
Keep us posted
((hugs)))

I have a cat here, but he's about the most laid back creature you'll ever meet! The way that the condo is laid out, though , I can actually keep them separated - and they would each have their own box(es), food and water bowls, etc (at least while settling in!)

HappyLilSphynx

Lairian
No updates yet - the person I need to speak with was out of the office, so the earliest I might hear back is tomorrow. I plan to have a long conversation about his personality, litter box issue, known medical history, etc. While there will be a hairless baby in my life at some point, I think it's more important to make sure it's the right fit. If the little guy is a good fit for me, awesome! If not, it's more important that he is in the right home than for him to be in my home!

Atlas is the hairball in the picture! He's about as laid back as can be (and, unfortunately, not-so-smart). Even though Safari was younger, a female, half of Atlas's size, and was the last to come into the home, she was the Alpha!

Attachments

Toa and Ross

Staff member
No updates yet - the person I need to speak with was out of the office, so the earliest I might hear back is tomorrow. I plan to have a long conversation about his personality, litter box issue, known medical history, etc. While there will be a hairless baby in my life at some point, I think it's more important to make sure it's the right fit. If the little guy is a good fit for me, awesome! If not, it's more important that he is in the right home than for him to be in my home!

Atlas is the hairball in the picture! He's about as laid back as can be (and, unfortunately, not-so-smart). Even though Safari was younger, a female, half of Atlas's size, and was the last to come into the home, she was the Alpha!
Atlas and Safari, what a beauties!

HappyLilSphynx

Lairian
I never heard back from the shelter that had Skully (even after calling a 2nd time), and he is gone from their listing ... so I am assuming he is now in his new forever home (hopefully!) I'll keep looking - sooner or later, something will come up!