Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Litter box issues;

Good morning everyone!

I have only posted once before when my boy was having skin issues and you guys helped me a lot.

Now, my almost 10-month-old boy, Grimm, is having litterbox problems. We use pretty litter and it alerted us to high pH so we saw the vet and got him switched to a pH balanced wet food... but he has started peeing and pooping all over the house. Keep in mind, he had ALWAYS had a little bit of this. Accidents every once in a while. He has never solidly pottied in the box.

On top of this he was diagnosed with a grade 3 heart murmur that we are going to have to get a cardiac echo for.

I am feeling very... defeated. I feel like i'm trying everything. I have 2 cats including him, and 3 dogs, and everyone lives together in harmony. My almost 5 year old daughter and Grimm are the best of buddies, he sleeps in bed with her. And behavior wise he is the absolute best cat i've ever had. I just don't know what i'm supposed to do at this point.

Any tips and tricks I couldn't find through a Google search?

Attachments

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Pechjackal ,Awhhh hugs ....
I would have vet rule out a us airy tract infection - male cats especially can get these that can turn into blockages if not caught early -

did vet check a uriine sample for UTI imfection or struvite or oxalate crystal and or traces of blood in uriine?

My boy had a cystiocentesis in office with needle to check his urine. Turns out he had a UTI . He got medications . He refused all the vet sold urinrary food - I eneded up feeding him proplan urinrary focus canned food and dry kibble Nutrisource cat and kitten food (no recalls ) he has never had another episode in years .

My other boy is picky about litter - he actually prefers dr elsey unscented in the blue bag or the close dupe sold at petsupermarket in 40lb bag called fresh for life odor destroyer - unscented .

Have you tried different style litter boxes ? My boys like large boxes - prefers the catit jumbo (I remove door flaps on all covered boxes ) as well as the good pet stuff hidden litter box - both I got online at chewy. (I do not use the vines or moss it comes with

Location of boxes? Away from wash machines dryers etc? Some ae fussy about box locations - always recommend a few boxes at least one more than the number of kitties .
I also scoop 2-3 times a day

I reinforce using litter box by keeping s jar of treats (I use hills urinary hairball kibble as treats

Give verbal praise when he goes in the box .
as soon as he comes out verbal praise amd immediate place a treat in front of the box .
Now I can just give random verbal praise amd treats.

Make sure you clean any areas with an enzyme cleaner -
A breeder recommended anti icky poo unscented
They have a website with good info and several types of products like carpet injectors etc

ALl paws crossed for Grimm and big hugs to you -

Following closely for updates

Here is a helpful link
Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box

@Pechjackal ,Awhhh hugs ....
I would have vet rule out a us airy tract infection - male cats especially can get these that can turn into blockages if not caught early -

did vet check a uriine sample for UTI imfection or struvite or oxalate crystal and or traces of blood in uriine?

My boy had a cystiocentesis in office with needle to check his urine. Turns out he had a UTI . He got medications . He refused all the vet sold urinrary food - I eneded up feeding him proplan urinrary focus canned food and dry kibble Nutrisource cat and kitten food (no recalls ) he has never had another episode in years .

My other boy is picky about litter - he actually prefers dr elsey unscented in the blue bag or the close dupe sold at petsupermarket in 40lb bag called fresh for life odor destroyer - unscented .

Have you tried different style litter boxes ? My boys like large boxes - prefers the catit jumbo (I remove door flaps on all covered boxes ) as well as the good pet stuff hidden litter box - both I got online at chewy. (I do not use the vines or moss it comes with

Location of boxes? Away from wash machines dryers etc? Some ae fussy about box locations - always recommend a few boxes at least one more than the number of kitties .
I also scoop 2-3 times a day

I reinforce using litter box by keeping s jar of treats (I use hills urinary hairball kibble as treats

Give verbal praise when he goes in the box .
as soon as he comes out verbal praise amd immediate place a treat in front of the box .
Now I can just give random verbal praise amd treats.

Make sure you clean any areas with an enzyme cleaner -
A breeder recommended anti icky poo unscented
They have a website with good info and several types of products like carpet injectors etc

ALl paws crossed for Grimm and big hugs to you -

Following closely for updates

Here is a helpful link
Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box
We went on a journey to find a litter that didn't affect his skin, which is how we ended up with Pretty Litter. And we have 3 litter boxes for our two cats. They only ever used one litter box, so we moved all 3 litter boxes to around that same area but maybe I will try to spread them around the house again...

I also clean my litter boxes once a day but maybe I will start doing it at the same times as feeding times so it gets cleaned more.

We did a UA and Urinary Culture, and so far the UA has come back and a high pH and the beginning of crystal formation so we put him on the ProPlan Urinary food and give him urinary treats with each meal.

He is such a good boy but this is just getting bonkers!