Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Litter Box preference? Favourite material for blankets? What type of automatic water fountain?!

NatashaHodnett

Lairian
Hey! First off my apologies if there is an existing thread for any of these questions! I am new to the forum as I am adopting my sweet little boy Tisserie on December 15th. I would like to be as prepared as possible and am gathering all of the things I need!

Do your cats prefer uncovered litter boxes or covered litter boxes, or does it not matter at all!?

Does your kitty have a favourite material? I’m setting up a little sleeping area In the corner of my room with a bed and I’d like to know what materials/bed types peoples cats like? Of course he will be allowed on my bed as much as he wants but I want to give him plenty of options to be nice and cozy!

Do people have a preference for automatic water fountains? I’ve seen quite a few different options and would like to know everyone’s thoughts!

Best shampoo/conditioner/wipes?

Best method for cleaning their ears?

Please feel free to add in any essentials you'd suggest for sphynx cat’s! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 923DD873-ED7B-42F3-9644-350DF739D68A.jpeg
    923DD873-ED7B-42F3-9644-350DF739D68A.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 26

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphyxnlair. What an exciting time ahead of you! Tisserie is a very handsome cutie. Love his colours.

Do you know what kind of littlerbox he is using now? If he now has an uncovered litterbox I would give him an uncovered box at your home too. At least for the first weeks. You want to be sure he'll use the litterbox and it helps when the litterbox and litter is as similar as possible.

My crew love their snuggle pouches where they can crawl in and sleep the day away. They also love soft blankets. The softer the better.

Most cats like the water fountains, it helps them drink more. If yoir boy isn't used to a fountain, I would start with a water bowl and later introduce the fountain.
I tried a fountain but didn't find one that doesn't make that watery noise all day. If I hear that sound I have to run to the bathroom. All day. So now fountain for my crew lol.

I heared good things about Hylyt and D'grease shampo. We can't get it here so I can't tell from own experience. I use a regular cat shampo for sensitive skin. My crew hates baths so I hard ever bath them. I use babywipes and a tiny bit of coconut oil to clean them.

For their ears I use babywipes to and once in a while eardrops.

Can't wait to see gotcha day pics of Tisserie!

Caloci

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Favorites/must haves around here are:

Litter Box: always uncovered. Some don't mind, but those that do, really do. Here is what we are currently using... TORKIS Flexible laundry basket, in/outdoor - blue - IKEA.
Litter: wood pellets or Yesterdays News (not really the cats favourite, but it is the least messy)
Blanket: Fleece or Sherpa (faux)
Clothes: we don't really wear clothes here for safety reasons, unless we are going out.
Toys: stinky fish, sproing toys, springs, Da Bird, Slim Cat, laser toy
Treats: we aren't picky
Shampoo: we like anything that doesn't irritate the skin. I recommend a anti fungal to keep the yeast away that Vito sometimes gets between his hind legs. We have used many different kinds and the only one I ever disliked was the D'grease.
Ear Cleaner: anything the vet sells, I put it in before bathing and wipe out after.
Food: We are currently using Performatrin Potato and Turkey from Pet Vale/Bosley's depending on where you live.
Dishes: anything ceramic or stainless, easy to clean, preferably dishwasher safe
Harness: we have the RC pets in XS or the PetSafe Come with me Kitty if they are good on a leash
Fountain: We don't have one. The Maine Coon makes a huge mess so I leave a ceramic bowl in the bathroom sink to reduce the puddles
Supplements: Pumpkin (you can get pouches, but we are trying the powder next, just add water.) Probiotic if needed, Taurine, if feeding raw, Lysine paste if you wish, water additive for cats with dental issues in addition to brushing.
Misc: Optrex eye wash on cotton rounds to remove eye boogs (I mainly use this on show days), baby wipes (again, I mainly use on show days), toothbrush and paste, coconut oil to help loosen dirt on nose and bum (use sparingly as they tend to lick to irritation)
Bed: I like cocoon type beds that they can crawl into. Barring that I like the Bowser bed with blankets to burrow in and a hairy cat to snuggle with

Lots of this in not necessary and just suggestion. Take from it what you will. Enjoy your new baby

NatashaHodnett

Lairian
Thank you everyone for your replies! I will
Take all of your suggestions into account! I will be switching to raw once he’s settled in (I read to wait around a month or so before starting) and will be getting all the supplements suggested. He will be alone in my room while he is small until him and the other cats are Introduced (we have 2 tabby’s and a Bengal who are all very social and loving so I’m sure it will be just fine but we don’t want to leave them unsupervised until we are sure they get along given the size difference!). As for the vet, his last visit was on the 7th (with the breeder he comes with vet papers) and his next shot is due on January 7th so I will bring a stool sample at that time for sure! I will be going “shopping” for all the goodies tomorrow, I already have tons of cat stuff for our other three boys but I always feel like I need to spoil them with their own new stuff haha! Perhaps I will post some photos of what I get in the next week :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@NatashaHodnett keep us updated! all paws are lair family! hope you can share pics , names of your tabbys and bengal :)
I have a spotted bengal girl adoptee. she is a talkative one :)

look forward to pics and updates !

Back