Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Litter Kwitter bandwagon

Ripley

Lairian
So we've decided to jump onboard the Litter Kwitter bandwagon. I got some cash for Christmas and order a Kwitter for Sphyncter. I've done a lot of research on the Lair and elsewhere and decided this is the best product to try, at least for me. I think it will be here early next week, so I've moved his litterbox into my bathroom. He didn't seem interested and kept going back to the laundry room, but I kept moving him and he finally used the box in the bathroom. I gave him a treat. I kept doing that and then he would just sit in the box and cry for a treat. Who's the one training here? So I stopped giving him treats for now and he's still using the box. One interesting thing is he has watched me scoop his poo and flush it in the toilet. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like he thinks that's pretty cool. From what I understand, the cats with Kwitter problems are true diggers and coverers in the box. I think that may be why Sphnyx are pretty successful. Sphyncter will poo and then wander around in there not having a clue what to do next. A flaw with the breed, maybe cuz that would certainly leave him open to predators in the wild. Then again, he wouldn't last that long without a coat anyway, so maybe it goes with being naked. I'm hoping it will lend itself well to not missing much when he's using the toilet. I will keep you posted as I am certainly watching Pooner and Nudie...they are a few steps ahead of me. BTW, I read that if you have problems with pee in the toilet and poo in the tub, you should keep a bit of water in the tub to prevent that. Also, if there's poo beside the toilet, pans of water there too will help. That seems to be the biggest problem with changing steps, pee in the toilet and poo elsewhere. Good Luck guys and Happy New Year! Wishing you all the best!

Bella07

Banned
Woohoo, Good Luck Sphyncter! :ThumbsUp: I'm so proud of all these Sphynx babies! When I get a Sphynx, I'd love to train her to use the toilet too. But, that means I'd have to train my 14 year old and 8 year old kitty too....I think that they are too old for such a change....Hmmm, I suppose I have time to think on that. Well, Good Luck!

tessblack

Banned
Good luck and just be patient. The one thing I wish I would have done was buy the intermediate disks. The step from orange to green was so big that I had to cut the red one up to make a middle step. You really need to take your time with it. The only issue I have now is that they paw the water before they go poop. Getting an auto fulusher and going to figure out away to control it hopefully. Good luck and have fun.

Ripley

Lairian
Ya know, I thought about the intermediate rings...I was just being cheap because it's another $15. I know, what's $15? but right now it just seems like a lot. I am convinced (sort of) that Sphyncter is so smart he will just sail through this process, but I did read a lot of advice on other sites about getting the intermediate rings. Does anyone else out there have any experience with the Kwitter and using/not using the extra rings?

pooner

Banned
I didn't know anything about intermediate rings? My mom got Kwitter for Pooner for Christmas so I didn't do much research other than watching the you tube videos of cats using toilets. I guess we'll see how he does :Smile:

Ripley

Lairian
The intermediate rings are advertised for use while training multiple cats. It looks like a few extra rings so the change in the size of the hole isn't so drastic. The way they advertise it is so you can use it for a cat who is moving slower than the others. I did, however, see where a lot of folks said their cat freaked out when changing from the red ring to the one with the hole because the hole is so big. One solution I read about was placing the red ring under the new one so the hole is there but its covered at first. Another solution was to float some toilet paper on the water in the bowl so he doesn't see his reflection if he looks through the hole. Since mine is not even here yet, I will wait and see how big the hole is. I was a bit overconfident, but Sphyncter didn't even like his litterbox being moved so now I'm no so sure. I am pretty determined, though. I'm keeping a close eye on everone else's progress. I am fortunate that I have some ahead of me.

tessblack

Banned
The biggest thing was going from Orange to Green it is a big step. I cut a hole in the red disc to use as the inbetween stage for that. The would just look at the green disc and walk away. I think just keep going and worry about it when you get to that stage. Yeah 15 does not seem like much but when you are putting out for the kit it is. I felt the same way.

kaoticharmony

Banned
Venus has fallen in the toilet twice and Neon fell in once. They avoid the evil swirling pool of water. I have to fight Kuma to keep her from using it as a water dish and I'm afraid Shiva would master flushing it...

I considered toilet training years ago, but they didn't make a training seat sturdy enough for Pouncey. He was 25 pounds at the time. My other concern would be having to fight the cats fot toilet time and what if someone put the lid down....?

There's a comic to be drawn here...heehee

Back