Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Litter locker and clumping litter

Kink

Lairian
I have two questions, has anyone tried the litter locker? Is it worth buying to help with the smell after you clean the litter boxes? Also was wondering why are we not meant to use clumping litter with the sphynx breed I heard it is something to do with getting in there eyes? Thanks!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Kink I originally purchased the Litter Genie (same exact idea as the Litter Locker. I liked it because I can't flush litter down my toilets here (septic system). Then I realized after a while that I needed something bigger because I have a handful of sphynx cats and I was always scooping all day long. So I came up with the idea to purchase the Diaper Genie for human baby diapers!

I now have two Diaper Genies, one upstairs and one downstairs. The one upstairs was purchased first and I just scoop like I would use the Litter Genie or Litter Locker. But when I purchased the downstairs one later on, my husband suggested that I scoop and put into a plastic grocery bag before throwing it into the Diaper Genie. Containing the pee and poop in the plastic grocery bag first does help keep the smell down before throwing it into the Diaper Genie or any of those systems.

Otherwise if I didn't have these systems, I'd be throwing everything into the grocery bags anyway and walking the bags outside all day long.

I never heard of not using a clumping litter for a sphynx cat. Most members here DO use clumping kitty litters. I've used many different types of kitty litter and I most definitely prefer 100% dust-free ones. It keeps my home cleaner, keeps my sphynx cleaner, thus keeping dust out of their eyes.

Hope that helps.

Kink

Lairian
@Kink I originally purchased the Litter Genie (same exact idea as the Litter Locker. I liked it because I can't flush litter down my toilets here (septic system). Then I realized after a while that I needed something bigger because I have a handful of sphynx cats and I was always scooping all day long. So I came up with the idea to purchase the Diaper Genie for human baby diapers!

I now have two Diaper Genies, one upstairs and one downstairs. The one upstairs was purchased first and I just scoop like I would use the Litter Genie or Litter Locker. But when I purchased the downstairs one later on, my husband suggested that I scoop and put into a plastic grocery bag before throwing it into the Diaper Genie. Containing the pee and poop in the plastic grocery bag first does help keep the smell down before throwing it into the Diaper Genie or any of those systems.

Otherwise if I didn't have these systems, I'd be throwing everything into the grocery bags anyway and walking the bags outside all day long.

I never heard of not using a clumping litter for a sphynx cat. Most members here DO use clumping kitty litters. I've used many different types of kitty litter and I most definitely prefer 100% dust-free ones. It keeps my home cleaner, keeps my sphynx cleaner, thus keeping dust out of their eyes.

Hope that helps.
Great advice thanks so much!

meandmytwo

Lairian
Shout out to @GoldHazel for the recommendation to use a Diaper Genie. Thank you!

I have had mine for 4-5 months now and LOVE it. It is the single most best kitty purchase I have made (in the convenience category). As was mentioned in a post above, the capacity is larger than similar products for cats. It's taller, so you don't have to bend over to use it. I do as GoldHazel, scoop into a small bag first then into the genie system (you'll see why and what I mean if you get one but you wouldn't have to). I use commercial doggy bags, $1.25 for 60 from the dollar store but repurposing grocery bags would work fine (except they take up more space in the genie bag so you'd be going through more genie refills). There is NO odour, NONE, when the genie is closed and only a slight odour escapes (and only sometimes) when it's opened or when changing the bag. (Scooping into a small bag first obviously helps.) And I haven't bothered to even use the charcoal filter. Super easy to use and maintain.

My two boys are now 8 months old - poop twice a day each and pee several times a day each (two boxes in the same room) so I scoop several times/day. The genie is kept right beside the boxes. I can go 6 or so days between changing the genie bag, not quite a week. So that is one trip to the outdoor garbage roughly weekly vs several times daily or suffer through my kitchen or bathroom garbages being stinky for a day or two until they are otherwise full enough to take out. I was doing that the first month, thinking there has to be a better way lol then I found this thread.

I LOVE THIS THING. I HIGHLY recommend it over the specific pet systems (litter locker, litter genie - mentioning them so this post shows up in a search :), hopefully) because of the larger size. One or both of those has an attached scoop on the side, I noticed. So I actually bought a cheap scoop that came with a holder (just for the holder) and I used adhesive velcro (industrial strength) to attach it to the side of my diaper genie so the scoop is right there. Removes easy to wash it when needed. Works like a charm! (I am a big fan of velcro. lol)

So, thank you @GoldHazel. I wrote it above but it's worth saying twice!

I respect that a system like this is not for everyone due to choices around minimizing the use of plastic, consumables etc. and creating garbage. Hopefully we all do what we can in our own ways. :)

Last edited:

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I absolutely love my litter locker! I only have to change it every two weeks and you cannot smell anything at all. I highly recommend

meandmytwo

Lairian
I absolutely love my litter locker! I only have to change it every two weeks and you cannot smell anything at all. I highly recommend

(y) @Maddie

All these systems are VERY convenient for sure. I think the ones specifically for cats have a larger hole so you can drop the clumps in sans having to scoop into a smaller bag first, so that is definitely a pro (although you wouldn't have to do that, it just cuts down on the risk of a mess). And then there is the pull handle thingy, that helps cut down on odour. The Diaper Genie has a similar feature, like a trap door kind of thing, that opens and closes using the foot pedal, along with the lid. I forgot to mention the foot pedal in my earlier post. Pros and cons to them all for sure.

My earlier post probably reads like I have shares in the company lol. I haven't actually used anything other than the Diaper Genie, but I was sold on the larger size and foot pedal over the features of the others. I should not have actually wrote that I recommend the diaper version over the others, but instead simply recommended any of them :). But I did want to thank GoldHazel for the idea.

The fact that the litter locker is physically shorter is probably not a big deal for most (other than less capacity), seeing as we are down to scoop anyway, but for me and the placement of my boxes it was a significant consideration.

Last edited:

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@meandmytwo
The less capacity is nice though, or it will get too heavy. I have to carry mine down two floors to the garbage lol so it works well not being able to hold too much.

Back