Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Litter Problems

RooRooFace778

Lairian
What type of litter would be the best for a Sphynx cat?

Hello! I am a soon to be mother of a Sphynx cat and I couldn't be happier! I'm so excited!!
However, I've heard lots of stories from the internet and from friends that Sphynx cats, and all other cats actually, sometimes trail their litter all over the house!
This kind of worries me as I promised my mom that the white leather couch in our living room wouldn't be ruined once I got my cat...so....
I've also heard even more stories of how some litters weren't good for some cats and how preference mattered and it got me so confused! I've heard about clumping litter and non-clumping litter and I'm not sure which type or what kind of brand would be better for my Sphynx's health and to his tastes.

RooRooFace778

Lairian
I see...thank you! Will the breeder also give me information on what to feed my kitten? Also slightly concerned about their diets too!
Other than that, I'm pretty sure I'm prepared for everything else...

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
You can ask breeder for info on food they are feeding and again like litter slowly transition to new. My breeder was very up front on both knowing it is important to not stress a baby too much. Assume it will take a good 2 weeks to change over to new food.

Patti

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Some do and some don't scratch furniture. Providing scratching areas is a good idea.

Although you'll want to put a blanket or throw over white furNiture that your kitty will have access to. No matter how clean a sphynx is, they can leave traces of their skin oil behind which can stain.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Okay...will the stains be permanent? Easy problem to fix though, thanks! Sorry for all the questions...promise this is the last one!!!
The stains can become permanent on cloth furniture and even counter tops, stereo receivers ( they sometimes lay on electronic devices to stay warm) as well as clothes, so this is something you should take into consideration. :)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Kay then, thanks! Do you think I have to look out for anything else?
Oh wait...will they scratch the furniture? I overlooked that!
Just as any cat would, yes, it's not uncommon for them to scratch furniture. Clipping their nails regularly and having a few scratch posts around the home can help deter the scratching, but not always alleviate it. :)

Back