Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Litter Recommendations? Looking for something new to fit my needs

kelsheyyx

Lairian
I think I posted asking about litter suggestions ages ago, but I am looking to switch. It's suprisingly very difficult to find helpful articles about this, considering everyone's situation is different, so I'm hoping my fellow Sphynx mama's can help!

Right now I use World's Best Cat Litter. I love that it's natural based, doesn't cloud up, and doesn't have that typical 'litter' odor. However, the odor control is not strong enough for what I need. While Bane prefers to do his number two business in the covered litter box, he also doesn't like to cover his poop, which I'm sure contributes to odor factor.

I know a huge factor is also the location that the litter boxes are in: my basement, which unfortunately isn't well ventilated but I'm stuck with this at the moment due to my living situation.

I scoop both boxes daily, and scrub them/change the litter every 1-2 weeks. I also line them with baking soda before putting the litter down. I've tried pan liners, which don't do much to help the smell. The regular scooping, vacuuming stray litter, and regular cleanings help a lot - but still there always seems to be that 'cat' odor lingering around the basement and even wafting up the stairs into the rest of the house! I also keep an odor absorber jar thing in the room, as well as Febreze for when I'm done cleaning up.

Is that 'cat' smell inevitable no matter what litter I use and how often I clean? I know a lot of it is trial and error - finding what works for me and Bane - but transitioning a cat to new litter can be a process, and expensive/wasteful if he decides he doesn't like it!

After some research I think I'm going to try to transition to Blue Buffalo litter - the one that I believe is walnut based? Again, I figured I'd reach out before purchasing. Feedback and input is so appreciated!

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm blanking on the name but they make these boxes that clip into a covered box and they are supposed to get rid of all the smell. They are blue. It's a rectangle with a cat on it and vents. I'll see if I can find the name. My initial search didn't bring it up.

I use natures miracle scented litter deodorizer spray (make sure it's scented if you get it, for some reason there is a non scented one). It works pretty well. I use the arm and hammer double duty baking soda mix too along with clump and seal, multi cat litter.
Another thing, not sure how long you've had your baby, but have you bought a new litter box? If it's plastic, it acts like it is pours. After years it won't matter how often you clean it the plastic it self will smell too.

I'll see if I can find the name of the deodorizer box thingy! Hopefully others have some suggestions :)

sphynxmoms

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When we had the 2 kitties...our male Yoshi would never cover his business...and he STUNK! Loved him to death but his litter box was upstairs and he would stink up both levels of the house when he went!
We switched to this litter...
Weruva Hinoki Wood & Green TeaWeruva Cat Litter

And it made an amazing difference. It's a little pricey but for us, it was so worth it!

kelsheyyx

Lairian
I'm blanking on the name but they make these boxes that clip into a covered box and they are supposed to get rid of all the smell. They are blue. It's a rectangle with a cat on it and vents. I'll see if I can find the name. My initial search didn't bring it up.

I use natures miracle scented litter deodorizer spray (make sure it's scented if you get it, for some reason there is a non scented one). It works pretty well. I use the arm and hammer double duty baking soda mix too along with clump and seal, multi cat litter.
Another thing, not sure how long you've had your baby, but have you bought a new litter box? If it's plastic, it acts like it is pours. After years it won't matter how often you clean it the plastic it self will smell too.

I'll see if I can find the name of the deodorizer box thingy! Hopefully others have some suggestions :)
Thank you Maddie! I've had him for almost two years now and I've never replaced the plastic litter boxes so I will definitely do that, as well as look into the spray and try to find these boxes! Amazon here I come. Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

kelsheyyx

Lairian
When we had the 2 kitties...our male Yoshi would never cover his business...and he STUNK! Loved him to death but his litter box was upstairs and he would stink up both levels of the house when he went!
We switched to this litter...
Weruva Hinoki Wood & Green TeaWeruva Cat Litter

And it made an amazing difference. It's a little pricey but for us, it was so worth it!
Wow never saw this before I am liking the looks of it! Amazon?

kelsheyyx

Lairian
Idk why I feel I'm against scented litters... Are the scents overpowering? I guess thinking about it I'd rather smell scented litter than poop lol

kelsheyyx

Lairian
Thank you Maddie! I've had him for almost two years now and I've never replaced the plastic litter boxes so I will definitely do that, as well as look into the spray and try to find these boxes! Amazon here I come. Thanks again!

Maddie do you have a pic of the spray?

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

Just switched to this stuff and its so cheap and ITS AMAZING! No dust, No odour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Like, @Mal , I use Intersand's Odourlock. Best darned litter I've ever used. Any other wood or plant based litter I've used has smelled horrible after Max goes pee in it just once. Odourlock has NO odour, there's no dust, and it clumps beautifully.

When I was performing research on litter a couple years ago I read that the walnut litter (I wanted to try that) was dusty and caused Sphynxies to brown up LOL. So I ditched that trial.

Lynyrd

Lairian
Has anyone heard or used CatSpot litter? I just happened to come across it. It is made from coconuts. They ship you one bag a month for $15.00, the coconut absorbs the urine, does not clump (claims to dramatically reduce odor), remove solids daily, replace used litter after 15 days for compost and finish the remaining in the bag.

Reviews?

CatSpot - Home