Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Litter Robot issues

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My litter robot smells really bad of urine. I used to be proud to have people in my house but no more as it smells like cats. I just took it compltely apart and scrubbed it for hours in all places and it still smells like pee. Everytime my heat turns on it blasts cat pee through the house. I don't know what else to do. I do not want a house that smells like cat. I am going to try vinegar tomorrow. I have two of these and its a problem with both. The cats are not going outside the box it is the box itself.

Bella07

Banned
Oh yikes! That doesn't sound good....Washing it in vinegar is a good idea. It works really well in my house when ridding of any dog urine smells... I'd also bleach it too if possible. I don't have a litter robot, so can't offer any advice. Good Luck though! I hope that you're able to clean it up...

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Won't hurt to call I suppose. I am about to put something perfumy in my vents! I dunno I was very happy up until recently.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sorry to hear the Robots aren't working like they used to. I would give a call to the company too. Maybe they have seen this before and can pass along tips from other customers. Good luck.

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Maybe change litter?
Don't know these robots but I suppose they are not made for a specific litter, right?

Active Charcoal litter (like Ever Clean) comes as scented or non scented and you can pour a gallon of cat pee into the litterbox without feeling the smell.
Active Charcoal kills that smell super efficently.
The only smell ever coming from my litterbox is poo sometimes if they didnt bury it properly but even that is very rare. This EVEN if I don't clean it for days.

I do clean it a few times a day but it has happened that I didn't and with my nose over the box full of urine I can't smell it anyway.
The green EverClean is truly amazing.
Ever Clean - Extra Strength Scented

Even the cats smell nice from having been in the litterbox. :D

Don't know but might be an idea if you have problems with urine smell and if it works with the robot.

pooner

Banned
I find it funny that everytime I go to this thread it has the Litter Robot advertisement at the top of the page :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I scrubbed them with a carpet cat pee cleaner and clorox wipes and spent hours and now all they smell like is plastic. One is worse then the other, they use that one more. I also have on not going in the box, just right outside it so I don't know who. I have an idea. Some weird things been going on around here. Cats are feeling my stress I think.

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I also have a Litter Robot and so far am very pleased. I agree with the person who said to try Vinegar...it can clean so many things! If you can't figure it out I would call the manufacturer. I have called them a couple times with questions and they are super friendly!:BigSmile:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Are you 100% sure that they did not go pee by the heating vents? Or is the box to close to the vent? If it is the heat would just push the smell thru the house. Thats all I can come up with.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
When I clean my boxes I use a vinegar and baking powder solution, enough to let it fizzle up and i let it sit long enough for me to sweep the floors and take out the garbage. I run a washcloth (designate a cloth for this) over it to make sure it picks up any debris and I give it a good rinse and dry. I do this to my kitchen floor about once a month too just because I'm paranoid of kitty smells and all of our visitors boast about how well our house smells.
I'm not famaliar with the litter robot but I'd certainly call them. It wouldn't hurt atleast.
Does her litter robot sit near a vent? I'm wondering if its possible maybe some "pee" litter fell into the vent and the heat is just multiplying the smell.
I've been known to take a wet mop (vinegar and baking powder OR Natures Miracle and run down a vent hole before!! Do this with a dry mop currently (furniture polish) just to clean out dust because my boyfriend has such bad allergies.
I hope these ideas help, nothing worse then cat pee!

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I haven't had time to call company but the urine smell is coming from the bot. My house smells like cat as soon as you walk in. Worse then with a reg. box. I have been taking it completely apart and scrubbing it in the bathtub every two days. Not worth it anymore. I cannot stand cat smell. It is embarressing when people come over it REEKS of pee. I have tried the citris baking soda things one by the bot and one actually in the draawer, worked 2 days. It is a knock you over strong bad smell. It is making me crazy. If I have time I will call them tomorrow, I want to talk to a person not email and extra phone time for me is rare. UGH it STINKS. I change it twice a day. I scrub inside daily with brush and vinegar. I clean it completely every two days and it starts to smell. Was fine until now. 5 cats, 2 bots, same problem.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I haven't had time to call company but the urine smell is coming from the bot. My house smells like cat as soon as you walk in. Worse then with a reg. box. I have been taking it completely apart and scrubbing it in the bathtub every two days. Not worth it anymore. I cannot stand cat smell. It is embarressing when people come over it REEKS of pee. I have tried the citris baking soda things one by the bot and one actually in the draawer, worked 2 days. It is a knock you over strong bad smell. It is making me crazy. If I have time I will call them tomorrow, I want to talk to a person not email and extra phone time for me is rare. UGH it STINKS. I change it twice a day. I scrub inside daily with brush and vinegar. I clean it completely every two days and it starts to smell. Was fine until now. 5 cats, 2 bots, same problem.

What a drag! Hopefully you will be able to reach and talk to a person.

mrwrinklesmama

Lairian

That's awful!! Hope you get a solution soon.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Had no time to call but read some interesting things online I may try. BTW my heating ducts are in the ceiling so no way they peed there.

NiceGirlsFakeIt

Lairian
Change your air filter. It's possible the urine smell has attached to the air particles, that are now in your central system. Open your windows and air out the house (I know it's cold, but it will help I promise!). Just do it for a little while. Also, I swear by vinegar! It takes the pee smell out of EVERYTHING. It smells like vinegar at first, but when it dries, the smell goes away. Wipe down the walls around the litter boxes as well.

Are your cats staying hydrated? I know one of my chihuahuas is bad about not staying hydrated, so her pee has a way stronger smell than my male's.

LLevenson

Lairian
My Litter Robot is doing the EXACT SAME THING!!! REEKING OF AMMONIA!!! :Badly::Badly:

I only have 1 kitty, and I empty the drawer every other day (shouldn't have to do it that often) and it still smells. When I get on the floor to play w/ Arias, the smell hits me like a brick wall. And when you go to change the liner, heavens!! It's horrendous. I don't even know how Arias goes in there to pee (on a side note, what a good boy that he has still continued to use it!). The globe smells, as does the tray. And don't even get me started on the filter. I pulled it out and decided to give it the sniff test....which resulted in me gagging over the sink the ammonia smell was so strong that I think it burned my nose hairs and the back of my throat. I have ordered new filters and will be cleaning the entire thing w/ vinegar and baking soda today to see if I can get the smell out of there. (I used soap before but that only helped keep the smell away for a week).

I called the company and the woman I spoke to suggested that I use a bathroom cleaning product w/ bleach, but everything I read online says that you have to be very careful when mixing ammonia and bleach b/c it creates a reaction that omits poisonous gas :Surprise: . Neither Arias nor I need to be around that.

The LR woman also suggested that he may be sticking his butt out the globe and pee is going down the front of it. I was actually a little ticked off b/c most of the reason she gave for this happening were all "it's the cat's fault", like Arias is peeing somewhere else, or missing the box, or spraying so that pee is hitting the roof of the globe and not the litter. NONE of these are possibilities b/c 1)when he pees, his head sticks out the front (seen him do every time) so there is no way that his pee is going out the front and b)he's not a sprayer. If he was, I would have noticed this same problem w/ a normal box and this only started happening w/ the LR.

The tray is also always moist whenever I remove the liner...i guess b/c it's holding wet pee? I use world's best cat litter, which isn't the best for covering smells, but I like all natural so I'm not changing that (plus, it's what Arias has always used).

I think the answer is quite simple...it's a plastic ball, with a plastic tray. plastic holds onto smells & moisture. And even though it "scoops" after every time, all it does is deposit that urine-soaked litter into a bag that is not sealed and stays there for days. I am hoping that a deep clean will solve the issue. and removing the liner daily (what a waste!)

If this deep cleaning doesn't do the trick (I need it to last about a month, b/c I don't mind cleaning the whole thing that often) then I will probably look to "re-home" my LR w/ someone here if anyone is interested...in a stinky LR :LOL: The woman from LR told me that I should only have to deep clean the unit every few months, but I don't have high hopes that this will be the case.

In other LR news, mine shorted out a couple of weeks ago. At night, sometime after dinner. We didn't realize it b/c it is in our garage in a kitty box. (we attached a box to the wall that hold the LR and a cat door from our dining room straight in it. Arias has no access to the garage from it) By bed time, Arias was acting all crazy, biting, meowing at the garage. We kept letting him in and he would run all over the place meowing like something was wrong. We couldn't figure it out and I was a bad mommy for not checking the LR. So we went to bed...Arias wouldn't calm down until the wee hours of the morning. When I woke up, I saw a puddle in the hall. Sure enough it was pee (thank goodness on the hardwood floors). I went out and opened the box and saw that his LR was frozen halfway through a cycle!!! poor guy, he had been trying to tell us all night long and we didn't get it!!! So since then, I removed the LR and we are back to a regular ol' litter box. The company is sending me a new power cord to see if that helps. But in using the old bow, I have noticed that there IS NO PEE SMELL AT ALL in our house!!!! so we shall see...

Diesel

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Now I KNOW I am out of the loop. What is a Little Robot? It sounds like it has something to do with the litter box. I just scoop into a bag everytime I walk by. ( Don't want the stuff sitting around.) What is a Little Robot? Thank you.

Diesel

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh dear ! Now I know what a Little Robot is. I think I will stick with the old fashion box and continue scooping as needed. No problems with scooping. Easy and fast. Thank you, I got my answer to my previous post.

Litter-Robot

Lairian
Hi Melonie,
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Litter-Robot regarding odor. Do you have your Litter-Robot sitting on a flat surface? If at any time you would like to speak with a Litter-Robot representative, please either e-mail us at [email protected] or call us toll free at 877-250-7729.
Your odor issue is not something that you should be experiencing and we would like to help you correct the situation.
The Litter-Robot Team

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The only problem I have with mine is the lights go all weird and all blink and I have to reset it or it doesn't finish cycle and yellow lights stay on till reset. No odor except when I had to relace the seal.

LLevenson

Lairian
Hi Melonie,
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Litter-Robot regarding odor. Do you have your Litter-Robot sitting on a flat surface? If at any time you would like to speak with a Litter-Robot representative, please either e-mail us at [email protected] or call us toll free at 877-250-7729.
Your odor issue is not something that you should be experiencing and we would like to help you correct the situation.
The Litter-Robot Team

I too am having the same odor issues. I would like to know what you suggest to help fix the problem? When i spoke with one of your representatives a few days ago, they told me to clean it very well & get new filters. If this does not fix the smell issue, is there anything else you can do to help?
Thank you,
LeAnna

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sorry to hear you guys are having problems...I have had a Litter Robot for almost 3 months without any stink problems other than when I have the door open to take out the "poo" bag. You might want to check the "grate" inside the bubble and make sure there isn't anything caked on there. Also, completely replace your litter periodically...other than that not sure.

Back