Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Litter training dogs?

LucyFurrr

Lairian
I know it's usually a no-no. I'm looking at getting an AHT (American Hairless Terrier) and have been for a few years now. But our biggest obstacle is that we live in Alberta. There's no way a little naked doggy can go outside to pee in -35C plus wind chill. We've been through ideas of building heated shelters attached to the house and everything. Hense why we've arrived at litter training.

Has anybody done this successfully? Keep in mind AHT's are smaller dogs, there wouldn't be an 80lb dog pooping in my house! :LOL:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My friend has a chihuahua and used to live in a condominium in downtown Dallas. Taking the chihuahua out to pee was not always practical. He used puppy pads on a tile floor. The dog was good about using them. Except he wouldn't always make it on the puppy pad. But if you can train a dog to go on a puppy pad, there shouldn't be a problem getting him to use a litter box. However, I would attempt to build a litter box. I think a kitty litter box might be a little too small. I'm sure with a little trial and error you could find something that the little guy would be happy to use.

LucyFurrr

Lairian
Building one is a great idea! I could make it look like a dog house! That alone gave me tons of ideas on how I could make it work easily. Or, I could just move somewhere like Florida!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have never done this, but my uncle did. He successfully trained his two Shih Tzus as puppies to use a litter box. He did this originally so he wouldn't have to take them out in the middle of the night when they were young and couldn't hold their tiny bladders for more than 4 hours at a time. But he soon realized it worked great during periods of nasty weather and deep snow. He uses regular clay litter (non scented) in a plastic underbed storage tote that offers the dogs more room than a cat litter pan. When not in use he keeps it covered and stores it under the bed in their spare room.

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
how about this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pup-Head-Portable-Dog-Potty-Regular/dp/B001G9YC6C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1286459481&sr=8-3"]Amazon.com: Pup-Head Portable Dog Potty - Regular Size 20" x 30": Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31usVFGM8mL.@@AMEPARAM@@31usVFGM8mL[/ame]

want a sphynx

Lairian
Finally an area where I have some experience! I have two tiny toy poodles , both under 5 lbs. They are both litterbox trained. I did it because I have had a stroke, and it is hard for me to get them outside in winter (I live in northwestern PA. in the middle of the Allegheny National Forest) so it gets cold, and quite snowy. Secondly, we have a lot of coyotes here, and I worry about them attacking my little dogs! So I bought a rubbermaid underbed storage container, and it only took 3 days to have them completely litter trained! I even carry an extra one (with the lid) in my car (an SUV) so they can use it when we travel. Works great! They actually sell dog litter too! Its recycled newspaper rolled into little pellets. Can't remember the name of it, but the Pet places sell it. Just put the dogs in the litterbox when they start sniffing around, and praise them or even a treat when they go...

LucyFurrr

Lairian
@ Gullivers Keeper: I saw one of those in the TV Show Case store. After checking it out, I realized every time they pee on it, you would have to hose it off!! And astro turf has never done the best job of coming clean. It's a neat product idea, at the same time, ewwwww!

@want a sphynx: Is it Yesterday's News or something like it? I suppose that stuff would work great. The Rubbermaid bins are a great idea. I use to breed snakes, so I have about 150 extra Rubbermaid bins of all sizes kicking around. Time to do something creative with them!

Bella07

Banned
They actually sell Dog "Potty" Boxes, AND they even have some sort of dog "cat" litter. I've heard it's actually pretty successful!

xxx_phoenix_xxx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:Surprise: wow this was an interesting thread i had no idea this was possible not that i would even attempt to train my two labs to do this lol but still very interesting in a funny kind of way :ThumbsUp:

keep us posted on how you get on would be cool to hear if you successfully train your pup when you get him/her xx