Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Litter & Yeast Issues

dpannell

Lairian
We have had Sookie & Tara since November 2010. The breeder we got the kittens from uses World's Best Cat Litter (WBCL) - Multi-Cat. So, we did, too. I intially noticed within the first couple of weeks after getting the girls, they would be "dirty" the day-after their baths...rusty on their abdomens and necks. I thought they were just oily, dirty little girls and maybe would need to bath more frequently...did research on here, and kinda' concluded that more frequent baths might not be the answer, so I told William (husband) to change the litter and/or add more to the box on Wednesdays because I bath on Saturdays...thinking it was the dust from the litter causing the excessive rustiness. So this became the routine for litter change and/or addition, with multiple scoops daily, I might add.
Time goes on and I began to notice the rustiness to come back the next day after bathing (as in the past), but, in the exact same spots. The girls have yeast. A friend of mine has two sphynx as well, whom, on my advice, began her girls on WBCL (her breeder uses Yesterday's News). My friend began experiencing the same issues and us...rusty spots appearing in the same place as pre-bath. She called her breeder, whom has been doing this for 20+ years. The breeder told her it was the WBCL causing the yeast! I didn't believe it. The breeder told my friend to stop using the WBCL (and that using the pine would probably have the same outcome - yeast) and switch to Yesterday's News or crystals and to bath them in an antifungal shampoo (SynergyLabs VF Clinical Care Antifungal & Antiseptic Medicated Shampoo) daily until clear (and not to use monistat as it can cause hair growth/patches). I personally, cannot handle the (thought of) urine/fecal saturated newpaper so, we bought the Fresh Step Crystals and an antifungal shampoo. We (including our friend) have switched the litter (both are using the crystals) and are bathing daily in the antifungal shampoo. Try keeping shampoo on a cat (times two) for 15 minutes without them licking it off...you've not lived until you do that! One of our girls (Sookie) is looking much, much better...and I think her expedient recovery due to the oral antimicrobial we are giving her (antibiotic with antifungal properties, as well, due to infected ANAL glands for the love of GOD! Whew! That's a whole different story in and of itself). As long as I bath daily in the antifungal shampoo, Tara looks much improved. But, on day two without a bath with the antifungal shampoo, rusty spots return and I have noticed today, she has sparse red-raised bumps, primarily on her back.
I have to take Sookie back to the vet for a recheck with the anal gland treatment and will take Tara, too. I am going to ask him to do a scraping and see if we need something additional to the current treatment plan to knock this stuff down and out.
Another thing I will add, since changing the litter and using the antifungal shampoo, the distinct (not malodorous) "corn-chip", "old-woman", "cheesy" body odors have completely vanished...wondering...were those odors indicative of "yeast"? Further, IMHO, the crystals are the greatest thing since sliced bread, not a plug, just sharing :ThumbsUp:.
To be clear, I'm NOT condemning the WBCL and am merely sharing our experience; maybe our experience with the WBCL is likened to that of a food or drug allergy...just because it happened to our girls doesn't mean it will consistently, if ever or at all, happen to others.
Thanks for listening and if this assists someone in the care of their babies, GREAT! :Celebrate:

Shauntay

Banned
The constant rust-colored spots and red bumps are likely caused from over bathing. A lot of us sphynx owners over wash our cats. They do acquire an accumulation of sebum, which attracts dirt (the rusty leopard look lol) but if we constantly bathe them we are stripping their skin of all the oils, which in turn leads to the bodies over production of said oils, causing dirtiness more quickly. Also we throw off the natural ph balance of the skin. What I would suggest is skip on the bathing several weeks. I know this is tough, lol...but I'm confident with in a few weeks of no bathing, those brownnish spots will eventually disappear, and your cat will look nice and clean, with healthy skin. :) I bath my WHITE sphynx once every 6 or so weeks, they never get those rusty spots and feel baby soft and smooth! I have also heard some negative things on WBCL, I tried it and did not like it either.

NakedNinja

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I tried WBCL on the recommendation of a friend who does rescue (and has up to 20 cats at a time "visiting"). Didn't like it. It didn't seem to control odor. I didn't have my nekkid yet, so can't speak to the yeast issue.

I've been using Feline Pine for two years now, exclusively, and love it. I use the pellets rather than the scoop type, because the scoop seems to track more easily and not last as long. Gabey had BAD yeast when we got him: Feet, ears, skin folds, you name it. We changed his food, did weekly antifungal shampoo and daily ear drops. He's just fine now, no yeasties, and still using the pine. Maybe there is an ingredient in the processing of WBCL that encourages fungus growth?

I agree, since getting rid of the yeast he has less of the "pancake" smell, but it's still there a bit when he sweats a lot. I love my little naked pancake. LOL

I have to wonder if my Misses has yeast after reading this post. She too gets "rusty" under her belly and her neck the day after I bath her, and her ears are extremely dirty. When she is warm she smells like a ball of bread dough. I thought that's just what sphynx smelled like. I am wondering now if she has a yeast problem. Do you all know if the vet would be able to tell me this? Not sure how experienced my vet is with hairless cats, as I live in a small town, and there are probably only a handful of sphynx around here.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Vets can easily diagnose yeast infections. My vet had 0 experience with sphynx and picked right up on my Ren's yeast infection. Just have them stick a sample of ear wax under the microscope and look, it's the same way they diagnose ear mites.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This is an interesting theory! I am looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say! Nofuratu definetely has a stinky smell when he is hot...I dont know if it is sphynx, or yeast...fascinating!

Yep yeast is easy to diagnose regardless of sphynx experience. A vet tech can take a swab and look under the microscope. Either the spores are there, or theyre not.

Adventures of A Naked Cat

NakedNinja

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I've been trying to convince dear Dr. Annie to join the forum, both for her benefit and ours. She mentioned something she had read about yeast in Sphynx, that it was a certain strain or something, and that it might not be "bad" yeast, necessarily. I'll have to ask her for the details next time Gabe goes in for his laser treatment.

In other words, if it's not an icky, sticky, gunky yeast mess in the ears, on the feet, and causing skin irritation, treat it with caution? I guess?

ETA: Why is there an ad banner for Monistat at the top of this thread?
LOL!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
:LOL::LOL: picturing a kitty greased up with monistat running through the house!:LOL:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Very interesting. I tried World's Best last Fall but none of my cats would use it.

Vagisil must be pissed that Monistat got the banner.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
SoBe gets the rusty spots after a bath, her under belly area is mostly all white and very difficult to stay clean. She also gets dirty ears but so did Snuffie at her age. Now Snuffies ear dirt is minimal and lets face it, she is darker so I have no clue how dirty she is until I see her turn the water a yucky color and I scrub the ring from the tub! lol
Neither of my girls smell like bread baskets or anything of the like so I'm chalking my dirty girls up to just that - dirty girls. lol