Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Little boy seems sick, does anyone know what it could be?

Denki

Lairian
Hello, my little one isn’t behaving like his usual self and I’m a bit worried. I’m taking him to the vet on Monday, I took an appointment, but I still wanted to ask if anyone knows what the cause could be. Since yesterday, he’s eating very little (extremely unusual) and I noticed him shivering, so I dressed him with his favorite suit but he continued shaking, though a little less. I also noticed him putting his weight on his left hind leg and not on his right one, he also appears to limp lightly; I checked to see if there was a wound or anything that could pain him, I also tried touching his whole leg but he doesn’t even flinch and there’s no bruises or anything of the sort. I’m scared it could be HCM, I read that it could create complications to the hind legs. Has anyone any idea what the cause could be? I thought it was just cold but he’s still behaving differently even after dressing him and keeping him as warm as possible.. on Monday he has his electrocardiography control with the cardiologist, I really hope it’s not HCM :  (

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Denki. Agree with vet check asap. My vet will do drop offs and check. Any vocalization? Shaking back leg(s) , cold to touch rear legs? Any loss of bowels ? If so vet trip asap. We are here for you and your baby. Hugs n positive vibes had smooches. Keep us updated often.all paws are family

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Im very sorry to hear your little guy isn't well. I agree with the other members, if you possibly can , see if the vet can see him quicker, stress your concerns. Hopefully it will bring some relief to get him checked over sooner . Please keep us updated x

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sending positive vibes. Keep a close eye on your boy. If he's not eating better in a day, keeps limping and you still feel someyhing is not right, I would try to get an appointment sooner

Denki

Lairian
How old is your baby? Monday is a long way off….I would seek attention ASAP…not trying to scare you, but can tell you know your baby is “off” you can push your current vet for a NOW vet appt. @Denki
He turned 5 this past July. Unfortunately I moved, I’m currently in another country and my vet is almost two hours away.. during the week I’m studying and physically can’t go back home : ( Monday is the first day I have off.. and I can’t take him to a vet here because of my economic situation (here everything is very expensive compared to my hometown)

Denki

Lairian
@Denki. Agree with vet check asap. My vet will do drop offs and check. Any vocalization? Shaking back leg(s) , cold to touch rear legs? Any loss of bowels ? If so vet trip asap. We are here for you and your baby. Hugs n positive vibes had smooches. Keep us updated often.all paws are family
Vocalization no, he’s usually quite talkative and meows to speak to me, but other than that no other strange sounds. No, his legs are warm and there’s no difference in his poop, only the quantity is less than usual, but that’s probably because he’s eating less :  (
Thank you, I’ll keep you updated and let you know if he seems better. Like yesterday I’ll feed him myself just to make sure he keeps his strength

Denki

Lairian
Thank you all, I’ll let you know how it goes and hopefully he’ll recover quickly. A month ago he also had a few days in which he was sneezing a lot, I thought it could be a cold or maybe an allergy, I was going to take him to the vet but then he stopped and was back to his normal self.. he’s a strong little man, so I hope this is just me worrying too much

Denki

Lairian
He’s eating more today, not yet like usual but still more than yesterday. I put a blanket over his hammock (which is attached to the heater) and he’s been sleeping soundly most of the afternoon. Here he is {}

IMG_6883.jpeg

tuffysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Is it possible to get a telemed for him sooner? Would that be less expensive? They wouldnt be able to do more testing but they might be able to see the severity and give some direction.

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Glad to hear he's eating a little more, he's a real cutie. Sending positive vibes and keeping you in our thoughts x

Denki

Lairian
Is it possible to get a telemed for him sooner? Would that be less expensive? They wouldnt be able to do more testing but they might be able to see the severity and give some direction.
What’s a telemed? I’m not sure we have them here, I’m from northern Italy but I’m currently in Switzerland

EDIT
Ah ok, it’s like an insurance. I was thinking about subscribing to one

tuffysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
No, its not like insurance. It is a single appointment. It is like they do for humans here since COVID. It is a video visit either on Computer or Smartphone where the vet can see your pet and speak to you. I dont know the cost but I do know a vet who can do it to where you are. They can’t prescribe drugs between countries and they can’t do an echo but they can do a regular visit without touching the pet but instructing you what to feel for (although when I was young and in France, for some things they didn’t use prescriptions, just gave you drug names and you went to the pharmacy. I can give you specifics. I will PM you.

Insurance is when you prepay an amount monthly to get a percentage paid by the insurance when you have veterinary services.

Denki

Lairian
No, its not like insurance. It is a single appointment. It is like they do for humans here since COVID. It is a video visit either on Computer or Smartphone where the vet can see your pet and speak to you. I dont know the cost but I do know a vet who can do it to where you are. They can’t prescribe drugs between countries and they can’t do an echo but they can do a regular visit without touching the pet but instructing you what to feel for (although when I was young and in France, for some things they didn’t use prescriptions, just gave you drug names and you went to the pharmacy. I can give you specifics. I will PM you.

Insurance is when you prepay an amount monthly to get a percentage paid by the insurance when you have veterinary services.
Thank you!! Will read the PM now

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Denki , awh,, hugs n continued speedy recovery vibe head smooches. we are here for you; such a precious photo of Denki. checking in for latest update, hope he is eating more hour by hour. I personally have never used telemed.
is it possible to call your regular vet for a phone consult ? do you have long distance no charge on cell phone calls to Denki's vet location? or email them?

Denki

Lairian
@Denki , awh,, hugs n continued speedy recovery vibe head smooches. we are here for you; such a precious photo of Denki. checking in for latest update, hope he is eating more hour by hour. I personally have never used telemed.
is it possible to call your regular vet for a phone consult ? do you have long distance no charge on cell phone calls to Denki's vet location? or email them?
He seems to be doing better; he’s eating more. I checked in with the vet and she said that we can meet on Monday, as it doesn’t seem to be anything too serious (he’s doing better which is a good sign)

How's it going? Did you get your vet to weigh in? I hope all is well.
Yes, thank you! He’s doing better. He’s still sleeping a lot.. oh, he just woke up ahaha cuddle time {}

IMG_6887.jpeg

Denki

Lairian
@Denki, checking in for updates. hugs n head smooches.
Hi! Sorry for the late answer and updates, these weeks have been quite hectic.
I got the results from the test, it’s confirmed that he has HCM, as the tissue is already thicker than it should be.. the vet recommended another test, I’m waiting for her to let me know when she has time, so I can take him. It’s been a shock, but I’m trying to be positive and I’m coddling him even more.
My vet recommended an heart supplement, while I’m waiting for it to arrive, I also got Denki dried krill, hoping it’ll help him a little {}

Back