Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Little Brat!

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I know there is a poll here about letting your sphynx eat off your plate, but I experienced something new.....as I was putting a piece of chicken in my mouth via fork, Rupert managed to grab it!!!!! :Surprise: Little bugger. :LOL: He didn't even try to run away away, he just ate it. Enjoy little man, enjoy. :LOL:

Gizzymom

Banned
If I ever eat potato chips, Gizzy tries to smack each one out of my hand on the way to my mouth... It's hilarious! Every once in a while, I let him smack one down for his ego... And he can eat off my plate anytime!!! He just doesn't... He will lick ice cream off a spoon though!!:Laugh:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hahaha, I like this thread. Ever since the jalapeno incident, Butternuts is very careful, but I can picture a cute innocent swat at my food. Sometimes he'll jump on the table and if I try to grab him, he moves just out of reach. If I let him sit on the table, he'll get as close to the plate as he can. Then, he just watches me eat.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Every night when dinner is served at the table, Nudie jumps into my lap and is ready to chow (uninvited or not she 's there:LOL:).

ktate88

Banned
Oh Niles loves to try to steal food! Little brat succeeds every now and again. I have learned if it smells really good and I want to eat my own dinner I have to sit with the squirt bottle nearby.

Does anybody elses naked sit at your feet while you cook and talk to you?

TotenEngel

Banned
Oh Niles loves to try to steal food! Little brat succeeds every now and again. I have learned if it smells really good and I want to eat my own dinner I have to sit with the squirt bottle nearby.

HAHA! Whenever either of us goes so much as near the kitchen, we have 4 purry boys round our feet as there may be a chance of food!!

Bella07

Banned
:LOL: Well it seems like I have a lot to look forward to when I get a Sphynx! Personal baths, belly rubs, sleeping under the covers, waiting on every need, and now feeding delicious human food via fork! These kitties sure are spoiled.

ranalashae

Banned
I have a question to those of you that let your cats eat after you. Do any of you guys do a raw diet and then let them eat your food (yogurt, ice cream) as well? Don't they have bacteria in their mouths!? From either the raw meat or just the fact that they lick their butt every day??

I just cannot imagine letting my cat eat with me, bat my chip with their nasty paw, lick my spoon, be on the counters, etc.... but I am kinda a germ freak! I move Nala's paw if she puts it on my face too. Maybe I am the crazy one here!! Just curious though, if any of you guys think of this.

:Dizzy:

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
YUCK! No ninja like reflexes to keep that from happening?! Haha I would not have been able to finish my meal. For sure!!

Nope, no ninja reflexes, it was totally unexpected. Rupert has never done something like this. I was able to finish eating, no problem. He didn't touch my fork or my plate.

Heck, I would have snatched that chicken right back and scarfed it down.

:LOL: I might try that next time!

Yes, they are good at using there little hands for picking! LoL:LOL:

Yes, I've noticed!!!! :Laugh:

Hahaha, I like this thread. Ever since the jalapeno incident, Butternuts is very careful, but I can picture a cute innocent swat at my food.

Jalapeno incident?!?! :Surprise: Oh, do share please.......:Laugh:

Yes, I normally have the squirt bottle ready for Orion as he is really ballsy and will try to steal food. All my animals are hovering in the kitchen while we cook and making noises of all sorts. Feed me! Hungry! Mommmy! Daddddy! Plueeeeeeeezzzze! :LOL:

I have a question to those of you that let your cats eat after you. Do any of you guys do a raw diet and then let them eat your food (yogurt, ice cream) as well? Don't they have bacteria in their mouths!? From either the raw meat or just the fact that they lick their butt every day??

I just cannot imagine letting my cat eat with me, bat my chip with their nasty paw, lick my spoon, be on the counters, etc.... but I am kinda a germ freak! I move Nala's paw if she puts it on my face too. Maybe I am the crazy one here!! Just curious though, if any of you guys think of this.

I don't feed them a raw diet, but if I did, not much would change. I wouldn't let them lick my spoon/fork then continue eating with that same spoon/fork though. I don't let them eat off my plate b/c I don't think visitors would like it very much and because it's MINE! When Rupert grabbed the chicken, he didn't touch my plate, he touched the chicken. Even if he did manage to touch my fork....oh well, I'm still standing, I won't lose any sleep over it. Yes they have bacteria in their mouths, all animals do, even us. Did you know that when you eat out at a restaurant, by the time your food gets to your table, there are approximately 12 DNA samples on it that are naked to the eye? The railings, door knobs, bathroom sinks have more bacteria and germs on them than a toilet seat. When a toilet is flushed, fecal matter particles are thrust into the air we breathe and land on surfaces we frequently touch. A recent study showed that over 70% of people have fecal matter on their hands. How many times have a you opened the door to a store then touched your face? Touched a computer keyboard then touched your face? MRSA lives on 85% of the population and they don't even know it, these people go about their day touching everything you and I touch....I wonder if they washed their hands after using the toilet? I could go on about nasty germs and where they are, you'd be pretty surprised at how much of a miracle it is that we even survive on a daily basis considered what we are exposed to. So no, I don't worry about such things and I certainly don't lose any sleep; I just wash my hands A LOT. With all the vile germs I am exposed to at work, my cats "licking their butts" is the very, very least of my worries. But, each to their own. :Smile:

ktate88

Banned

I understand your concern, I really do. My grandmother gave me a look and "I would never!!" when I kissed Niles on the head over Thanksgiving....

The first day I met Niles he stuck his little head up to my nose and kissed me. The next morning he woke me up by sitting on my chest nuzzling and licking my nose. This progressed to licking my eyebrows and lashes-- this is not ok to me because he nibbles every now and again. :Woo: :Surprise:

Yes, I understand the cat litter feet on the counters. He is not allowed on the kitchen counters or table. He tests it sometimes but as soon as I say Niles or No he meows and gets down. He does steal the sponge sometimes when I'm out of the apartment. I finally let him have one sponge so I could keep mine in the sink! And no, I haven't kept the ones I found on the floor.

He does he raw food some mornings. No, I do not let him eat off of my spoon or fork or plate. Now, he can lick the plate after I am done if I offer it. I do give him bites of my food sometimes. He gets his teeth brush 3-4x/week, and his mouth rinsed once a day.

He won't drink out of bowls-- only people cups/glasses/mugs. I do share my water with him, though he has 2 cups of his own. I don't punish him if he drinks out of my cup, but will stop him if he gets greedy with things aside from water.

With all of this said, keep in mind I do(and have for 10 years) work at an animal hospital. I adore puppy breath and kisses-- I seek them out!! I'm used to the smell of horrible animal gas. We often refer to bodily functions/fluids as descriptions of food. I've pulled socks, rope, tampons out of dogs butts-- not because I want to, but it's my job and they can't do it. (And I'd much rather work with animal stuff than people stuff). I probably wash my hands 20+ times a day.

Pardon the TMI... but I haven't gotten sick yet. I know I may, but until that day...Niles, and any other future pet, may give me kisses, stretch out with his paws on my cheeks each morning, and share my drinks with me.

JMHO

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Nudie and Skinderella don't eat off my plate or silverware. I will however give them kisses and lots of love. Nudie wakes me up every morning by rubbing my face with her paw and I would never change that. It can make you crazy if you think of all the gross things and germs in the world:Dizzy: I think everyone does things differently but thhey all seem to work:BigSmile:

Gizzymom

Banned

I have to agree with NightSpidy here... I used to work in a hospital, so I was around MRSA, staph, c-dif, HIV, Hep A, B, and C.... and never got anything! Now I work in a private clinic and I still wash my hands all the time and use hand sanitizer... As for Gizmo, he is allowed wherever he pleases.. Whenever I am cooking or going to use the counters, I use that clorox cleaner that you can use around food (don't remember the name). And Giz can lick my spoon, fork, or face...

When we (people born in the 70's or earlier) were kids, we kissed strange dogs, drank out of the hose, ate things we dropped on the floor in public, etc... and I lived to be almost 40 so far!! My immune system is FANTASTIC due to being exposed to germs on a regular basis - that is how you develop an immune system. I haven't been sick in over 5 years... maybe a runny nose, but that's it... Kids now-a-days get sick all the time cuz mom's don't let them near any germs and are sanitizing the crap out of kids, so they have poor immune systems that cannot fight anything... (just my opinion)

And if I get sick from giving my Gizzy a kiss or a lick of ice cream.... oh well... I love him :Adore: But he is 7 y/o and it has NEVER happened...

:Laugh:

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When we (people born in the 70's or earlier) were kids, we kissed strange dogs, drank out of the hose, ate things we dropped on the floor in public, etc... and I lived to be almost 40 so far!! My immune system is FANTASTIC due to being exposed to germs on a regular basis - that is how you develop an immune system. I haven't been sick in over 5 years... maybe a runny nose, but that's it... Kids now-a-days get sick all the time cuz mom's don't let them near any germs and are sanitizing the crap out of kids, so they have poor immune systems that cannot fight anything... (just my opinion)

What do you mean back in the 70's?!?!?!?!?!?! I still do those things! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Yep, my immune system is pretty good too. I haven't had an URI or cold in 4 years (about a year after starting to work in emerg) and it amazes me since I work in a disease factory :LOL: And yeah, I agree about the kids getting sick thing. Used to be a preschool teacher and I found it interesting that the kids that were allowed to be a kid were more healthy in the long run than the parents who coddled their kid too much and freaking out over them playing in dirt making mud pies and all that, but that is a whole other debate.....:Woo:

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Just beware of the hose sitting in the sun!! :Badly2:

Nothing worse than expecting a nice cool drink of water and getting something that resembles the temperature of urine!!!:Hysterical:

It's usually when I am watering my Mom's flowers and it's hot, so I take a swig 'o' water. :ThumbsUp:

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Piglet sits right behind me and taps me on the shoulder asking for food.
To me its funny, but not sure how my hubby will take it when hes here. :)

Back