Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Lonely Sphynx

Hollywoda

Lairian
Hi guys, I have a beauty little lady, currently 13 weeks old. I feel so bad leaving her for work even though she sleeps most of it., watch her on the camera and she is fine. Is there an age being alone becomes an issue?

Do you think adding a partner would be an issue at this age? Looking to get another unfixed female but have little experience of two female cats, will I be up against problems?

Will they need separate litter trays? We are quite limited on space.

I want her to be happy!

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cats and even kittens sleep most of the day while we are gone.
We feel worse then they do about it I promise!

I have two females (both spayed) and have no issues.
I have 3 litter trays, the general rule of thumb is to have 1 more tray then you have cats; though I know not everyone has the space to make that possible.

If you where to bring in another cat/kitten your little one is still young enough that you shouldn't have any issues. Though there are ways to make introductions easier on everyone. I'm sure someone can add a link to this thread for those steps!

Good luck!!

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I stayed home with my cat so she could adjust and honestly she sleeps a lot. Cats a pretty independent although sphynx tend to be more social. I believe there is information on adding a second car on this site. I’ll repost it if I find it.

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Here is some additional information.

oolahappi

Lairian
I tried to introduce another cat (an adult rescue) to Oolie when her canine friend passed. She was about 15 months and wasn't having it. She had no problem accepting a dog, but I discovered cat-cat introductions can be very difficult when one or both of them are adults. If you're thinking of adding another, I recommend doing it sooner rather than later. Having said that, my girl was fine when it was just the 2 of us (for about 5 months), but she seemed a little more demanding for attention when I was home.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, if you are seriously thinking you will eventually want a second cat, then bite the bullet and do it while your other is young. You might also think about upcoming bills and get a second cat after you spay your other baby (if she is not already.) Also if you are going to HCM scan at a year of age and going forward, having them 6 months apart can help on the bills not all hitting your pocketbook at once.

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree with @MelissaAlice that we feel guilty about leaving them, while they're snoozing away without a care in the world :giggle: There's of course a point where it can be too much alone time, but if you just work normal hours and have time for play and interaction in the evening, I really wouldn't be worried! :)

We have Butchie, 13 months old boy, and just added Vincent, a 7 month old boy 2 weeks ago, and for us it's been the perfect combination! Vincent's old enough to play with Butchie and to fend him off, but Butchie has still had the chance to establish the hierarchy. I agree with @Catzzzmeow and @oolahappi though - introducing an adult cat to another adult cat will always be harder than when they're young!

Back